General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

How many staff are you letting work from home

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Chris Ashdown, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,685 2,429
    How many permanent staff in your company, are your going to let them work from home full time, when previously they were based in the office?

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  2. busowner987

busowner987 UKBF Regular Free Member

196 12
    none. They cant be trusted

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 By: busowner987 Member since: Aug 27, 2019
  3. Chris Ashdown

11,685 2,429
    One negative answer, so we can assume that the talk of mass home workers may not be a great prediction based on the response of small business owners who make up the largest section of employees

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. Porky

Porky UKBF Regular Full Member

228 96
    I’m still split on it 4 months on.

In rough figures, out of 24 staff, 6 I can trust to be productive from home, 6 I am not sure about and 12 are not as productive/ easily distracted. And that’s before you take into account how effective knowledge transfer / training and problem solving is when they are not working in the same room

What shocked me was that one on my “trusted list” put a request in if we would permit work on a home business. It was declined but it t told me they considered they now had time on their hands to do something else in addition. Previously when they worked 35 hrs+ at the premises and travelled back and forth each day they certainly wouldn’t of even considered a second job.

With home working some staff can be easily distracted and you won’t get the output - this is the harsh reality.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Porky Member since: Dec 27, 2019
  5. Onthebrightside

Onthebrightside UKBF Regular Full Member

249 47
    I phone the Government Tax office and was put through to a guy working at home, at the end of the call I was asked to rate his service - which was brilliant by the way. Perhaps that is one way of ensuring your staff who are working from home are productive?

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Onthebrightside Member since: Oct 29, 2018
  6. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,088 311
    I had the same experience with my BT Business Mover, immediately after giving her 10 out of ten I got a bill that was about 5 times higher than it should have been. 1 week later Miss 10/10 hasn't sorted it out.

I reckon home working obviously works for her but the organisation behind her is somewhat lacking?

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  7. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,343 3,809
    I worry about the title of this thread. 'Letting staff work from home' as if you are doing them a favour. For many it is actually very stressful, lacking normal social interactions of the workplace, appropriate equipment, appropriate environments and so on.

Whether an employee should or can work form home is a specfic decision between each employee and each employer.

If an employer decides they no longer need to pay for offices, but expects all staff to work productively from their home, without any investigation of the specific circumstances of each of the new workplaces, without reimbursing employee costs involved, they will have a potential car crash coming.

Similarly, if an employer now demands everyone return to work from the office without considering how effective, efficient and appropriate home working has been for each employee they have a different car crash coming.

Employers need to step up and manage the situation, with regard to home working, thoughtfully and professionally.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  8. Chris Ashdown

11,685 2,429
    Is it really a problem as at present nearly all employees will be contracted to work from the company place of work

The next step for any who would prefer to work from home is for them to ask permission to change their place of work contract, where no doubt the in's and out's will be discusses

The company can make a offer to work from home and even offer trial periods, but i don't see where there present contract can be amended to force home working, maybe i am missing something

9. SFH0791

SFH0791 UKBF Contributor Free Member

73 3

i have installed "productivity" monitors on all their laptops (Laptops are company equipment so not illegal)

The ones I have Furloughed, well Rishi Sunak is paying their wages he can keep an eye on them

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: SFH0791 Member since: Jun 23, 2020
  10. Chris Ashdown

11,685 2,429
    I would guess monitoring staff at home could be a growth industry

11. Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 3
    Everyone, but we're lucky in that w'ere in websites/software - we don't produce anything physical. We have clients that do and they have had to keep a % of staff in the office. Some let staff volunteer or established a rota system to enable a split of some in the office an some at home.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: Rob Gordon Member since: Jul 26, 2015
  12. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

381 121
    Apparently people are suffering from back aches, eye strain, headaches. Also increased stress levels, Covid has created loads of extra work for some.

I think the productivity of staff WFH depend on the job. Those in managerial positions are likely to be used to self motivation as their project timelines are longer.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  13. JezDonnel

JezDonnel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    none of them, i observed that people are more productive in office than from home . At home you are drinking more tea than working

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: JezDonnel Member since: Jun 30, 2020
  14. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,432 1,171
    I’ve worked from home since the start of lockdown. My contract will be changed so this is permanent.

We’ve found that it’s been much more productive working from home.

Nobody pestering you at your desk with questions they could have fathomed out themselves in a couple of minutes (they’ve now realised they can figure it out themselves).

Bad nights sleep? Work at 5am and clock off early. It means I’m not dragging myself to the office for 9am and only been productive until lunchtime. My mobile is still kept on if there’s anything urgent.

If you can’t trust your staff or your staff aren’t doing the work, that’s on you. You should be managing them.

We have a team meeting twice a week. One for setting out the objectives for the following week and one to see how we are getting on and if anybody is struggling and needs help.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  15. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,647 1,718
    the average number of employees in a small business is 2. In many cases they will be co-habiting. (Also the silent statistic - in many cases only one will actually work n the company) - hence not huge response

I’m below average - it’s just me and I’ve worked from home for years

my parter company has 28 employees and 2 offices. The office with 4 people on it stayed fully open but gave staff the option to work from home - one did

the other office mostly closed with a rota of 3 in the office at any given time. They are gradually getting more back

It’s hard to compare productivity since lending has been almost non-existent, but theirMD is keen to get them back to an office-based environment

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  16. CVRO

CVRO UKBF Regular Free Member

152 35
    We started with 40 out of 40 from mid-March to mid-June. Then, 2 of the employees asked to go back to the office and that has not changed since then.
    I had never considered working from home before but, so far, the work continues to be done without any issues and I see no reason to rush back into the office now.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: CVRO Member since: Mar 25, 2007
  17. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

745 256
    Surely it depends what staff are employed to do.

Some staff can only perform the role at the place of work, some can perform the role from elsewhere e.g. home.

Whether can means will depends on the staff and how they are managed.

In many cases, a hybrid of home-working, local hotdesk/co-working spaces, and the (existing or new) office/work space will be the best answer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  18. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,564 289
    Eiter you must be drinking a lot of tea or not doing much work then!

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  19. Rebecca_J_T

Rebecca_J_T UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 3
    I have to admit that I find it difficult to understand why in some ways, we’re still operating in the same way we did before the industrial revolution (all in the same place regardless of whether we need to be, in the line of sight of a manager, clocking in, clocking out).

Our advice has very much been to take advantage of this opportunity to re-set - it’s not likely to come around again. However, at the same time, it’s important not to rush it, but to give it careful thought.

Here, we’ve taken the following approach:

1) We made some initial recommendations about where different tasks are best done: at home, in the office, or elsewhere. For instance, our advice is that tasks like building trust, emotional discussions, launching a new project and creative design work should be done in person. Tasks where facilities are the limitation should be done in the place where those facilities exist.

2) We’ve sat with each of our teams and profiled the work they do - the work, not the roles. This has helped us to be clear up front about the parameters - in particular, the tasks which will not allow remote working.

3) Our managers have met individually with their staff to understand their personal preferences within those parameters, recognising that everyone’s preferences are different.

4) We’ve designed and conducted a risk assessment for home-working (as well as for communal working, separately) which our managers and employees have worked through together as part of that individual meeting.

5) We’ve agreed where the employee will work for the time being. We haven’t rushed into contractual changes though, because we’re still not operating in normal circumstances. In a number of weeks, we’re planning to consult properly with all our staff, and expect (based on feedback to date) that an outcome of that consultation may be that we no longer need the office space that we have. If that’s the case, we’ll change our employees’ contracts to reflect their new home base.

We’ve definitely found this way of working to be more productive on the whole (likely influenced in part by being so close to the M25 which itself is a huge inefficiency!), but our advice to everyone we work with will continue to be that face to face still has a place. We’re also advising businesses to consider how to fulfil their duty of care to their employees at home, including the obvious things like work-station set up, but also things like social needs and work life balance.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 By: Rebecca_J_T Member since: Mar 30, 2020
  20. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,634 622
    Should be able to trust all your employees? Surely you would be able to see quite quickly if they are not pulling their weight? Alex

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010