hihosting down 05/06/2019 19.06pm

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by bigbuzzbelfast, Aug 5, 2019.

1. bigbuzzbelfast

bigbuzzbelfast UKBF Regular Free Member

207 50
    Seems for some reason Dan's hosting has been down for over 40 minutes now not like him not to respond to an email and it's a gmail address not one at his hosting company.

Sorry I was not looking I meant to say (see below silly me)
    hihosting down 05/08/2019 19.06pm

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: bigbuzzbelfast Member since: Mar 19, 2017
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,999 1,068
    Do you mean today?

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,196 4,255
    My site is down as well, problems are becoming par for the course.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,004 257
    Looks like they're aware of the issue as of 18:22 and are working on it:

"We are aware of a network issue at our UK location. Onsite techs are currently working to resolve the problem."

Edit: there's also an existing thread on this here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,999 1,068
    I thought that's what you mean't. Would be a bit slap dash of you to be asking why your site has been down for 2 months.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  6. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 16
    Why would you email a gmail and not use secure online messaging tickets directly?
    Is there no facility to be able to telephone straight away?

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  7. Mike Hayes

1,004 257
    I suspect that's because the client area is hosted on the same reseller server as the OP's website :rolleyes:

If that is the case, it would not be ideal from a security point of view considering the type of data stored in WHMCS, but an awful idea when it comes to staying in touch with customers during downtime, especially considering there's no status page either.

This has been brought up on UKBF before but it seems that, disappointingly, nothing has changed. Luckily I'm not a customer!

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  8. bigbuzzbelfast

207 50
    As you can tell I am a customer of Dan's and Dan is normally on the ball and very fast to re-act perhaps as I said in a previous post he has his customers spoiled that's why I was surprised that I as I said had not heard from him within a certain amount of time.

But rest assured there are also hosting companies who do not give the same amount of personal service that Dan does, I know I have been with them. No company will have 100% uptime as you know and on all occasions when it has happened to Dan the downtime has never been too long. Maybe I am just one of those impatient people.

Dan does let people know that there is another way to contact him and to be honest I'd prefer to wing off an email to him rather than having to sign in to a ticket system somewhere but that goes to show you the very personal service you get from hi-hosting.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: bigbuzzbelfast Member since: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Mike Hayes

1,004 257
    I couldn't work with a hosting provider which doesn't provide pro-active updates during downtime. It's not much to expect to have a public status page hosted off-site with updates made during downtime, at the bare minimum. Hi Hosting's status page could even simply mirror the EZPZHosting one; zero effort and informed customers.

Each to their own though! If the current set up works for Hi Hosting and their customers, good for them. I was just answering the question posted by WESH.UK ("Why would you email a gmail and not use secure online messaging tickets directly?")

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  10. bigbuzzbelfast

207 50
    To me it's called the personal touch something that seems missing in a lot of business's today. I prefer not having to login to a ticket system just to get what nine times out of ten is a corporate bulls**t answer, at least the way it is at present I can get an email to me directly with the answer to my question/query and it's a personal answer.

Now you may like the whole corporate nonsense but it's not for everyone and I will stick with Dan for that and a few other reasons.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  11. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 16
    Being able to pickup the phone and speak to somebody you have gotten to know, by first name is far from corporate :) (Not an automated menu system either, hate those damn things.. )We dont do corporate, quite the opposite.

Getting an email in advance saves you even having to send an email :)

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  12. Mike Hayes

1,004 257
    This.

No communication and having to chase up your provider through public forums is the complete opposite of a "personal touch". You can provide a personal service while doing things properly, e.g. keeping your customers updated during downtime, or at least hosting your own website and client area on a separate network to your customer's websites.

For the record, I prefer a personal but professional approach to customer service. However this is irrelevant to the thread at hand which seems to have derailed a bit so I'm unsubscribing.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  13. bigbuzzbelfast

207 50
    I would agree with you but sadly we can't all sit at our computers just waiting for our systems to go down and wing out an email to customers, also sometimes the downtime is so little there may not be any need for an email.

14. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,422 260
    In fairness I accidently got myself blocked from the server last night.

Raised a support ticket off my phone at 21:22, and @Dan_HiHosting sorted at 21:57, even resent the original registration e-mail so I've the correct login details

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  15. bigbuzzbelfast

207 50
    To me that's pretty good as recently I had to wait 5 hours for a response to a support ticket from another hosting company. Less than 30 mins was a great response as far as "I" am concerned.

I hope things are going great for you and your business.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 By: bigbuzzbelfast Member since: Mar 19, 2017