Gutted. Mr Site & Payment Gateways etc.

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Salpots, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Salpots

Salpots UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've been using mr site to set up my website. Like a fool only thought to ask today how they support different payment gateway providers (well, I am new to this yanno!)

I'm gutted. It's taken me ages to teach myself how to use their services, and now I have to begin again looking for a new ...well, everything.

They offer only paypal to consumers unless they're paying for 'storefront' in which case they can use worldpay. This means I'm limited to worldpay - or paypal, or nothing.

I wanted the freedom of choice and now I'm torn between just going with worldpay and accepting what terms they offer me (as a new business with low turnover) or paypal (even worse) or having to start everything up again from scratch. I know my website looks very basic - and it is, but my skill with webdeveloping is minimal and I had to claw my way around to get that far!

What should I do? Any advice please?

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 By: Salpots Member since: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

Use PayPal - absolutely nothing wrong with it. Customers like it and, as you say, as a new business with a low turnover you might find it more competitive on price than the alternatives - you only pay on sales, no monthly fees etc.

I bet you'll outgrow your Mr Site site before you need a different payment gateway!!

Get your site up and running, get some experience, some sales figures etc. and then you can revisit the question in, say, 6 months.

Jeff

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  3. Websitehandyman

Websitehandyman UKBF Ace Full Member

I don't use the mr site but have just cancelled Worldpay, not that I would put any of using them, I've recommended them on here before. No, they just adjusted the terms and now expect a monthly fee which just rules me out. Because don't have the volume to make it worthwhile.

I'm going with paypal but I think I'll have to try and find something else. paypal is fine for those who know it but in my experience the are still plenty of people who see it and just don't buy.

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 By: Websitehandyman Member since: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Big Pete

Big Pete Banned

I love paypal, prefer to use it for buying every time.. no flaffing around simple and easy.. every site must have paypal or they are missing out big time..

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 By: Big Pete Member since: Oct 13, 2009
  5. Big Pete

Big Pete Banned

couldn`t have put it better myself ,so just did a shortened version :)

Posted: Jun 16, 2012 By: Big Pete Member since: Oct 13, 2009
  6. astutiumRob

astutiumRob UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

It wont matter which you pick - no-one will buy anything off a MrS hosted website anyway.

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
  7. leaving home

leaving home UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have a Mr Site website and yes can only usan only

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 By: leaving home Member since: Mar 19, 2011
  8. Salpots

Hi and thank you for your input. Why would noone purchase from a mrsite hosted website?

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 By: Salpots Member since: Jun 10, 2012
  9. ScotComp

ScotComp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I wouldn't purchase a thing from a Mr. Sites website either.

Having a cheap website makes you look cheap and of poor quality.

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 By: ScotComp Member since: Mar 11, 2011
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

Nothing wrong with mrsite. Most punters wouldn't know any different.

PayPal is fine.

However as suggested there are a lot of limitations with mrsite and you will no doubt get frustrated. Go get a proper site now before google had indexed and ranked you.

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. leaving home

Sorry my previous comment broke, internet problem! I have a Mr Site site and whilst it was great to start with I too have got really frustrated with the limitations it offers. Not ever having a website before and limited knowledge with creating one, thought this was the way to go! Three years on and whilst lots of traffic very little purchasing, and I think only having paypal for payment has contributed to this. I am looking to change to another hosting website, but with limited funds for this project until I know it works, I really don't know where to go. I used to be on page one with Google and remained there for some time, but every time I change large content on site off I go again!

Can anyone therefore recommend to us who are experiencing problems with our small sites on where we could go but with the ability to change material ourselves easily?

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 By: leaving home Member since: Mar 19, 2011
  12. fisicx

Tina,

PayPal isn't your problem. It's the fact that you make is so difficult to actually buy your books!

Wordpress is free and a far better solution than mrsite could ever hope to offer. It takes 5 minutes to set up.

13. Salpots

Hiya, well Ive cancelled mrsite but went to 1&1 instead and am now thinking I've made an error there. Have a PayPal account now for business and am negotiating to accept cards over Internet.

Will look at the Wordpress option and maybe make one to run alongside the main website.

My site has already been indexed because I began this process last year before illness and uni (am doing a degree) took over.

Have joined fsb and am thinking about usin their facilities at the reduced rate and seeing how I get on in the first year. Am not totally reliant on Internet sales but will use eBay to make my presence a bit more known, the idea being theres a markup on everything and it being cheaper on my site in the hope I drive a bit more traffic there.

Any opinions gratefully received. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time so far to post, it's all really useful, even the criticism.

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 By: Salpots Member since: Jun 10, 2012
  14. fisicx

Nooooo!

1and1 are worst than mrsite.

If you have your own domain/hosting then install wordpress and take control of your site.

15. Salpots

Why are they worse? Why is mrsite so bad?

16. fisicx

Because they both use website builders you are limited on what you can do.

Once you start playing with a decent content management system you will discover a hole new world of possibilities.

For example. I'm working on a plugin for wordpress that will allow you to configure the way you make a payment to paypal. You can adjust the words, images, styles and positions. Try to do this with 1and1 and paypal and you will be blocked all over the place.

The other thing to consider is the location of the servers. 1and1 operate out of Germany so if you wanted a UK only site you might have problems ranking.

So it's not the website builders themselves, it's the limitations the impose.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  17. Salpots

So theoretically if I could work with the restrictions they impose, then they're not so bad?

Got to look at all possibilities because my website building ability is so limited.

18. fisicx

In theory yes.

But in 12 months time when you want to add a feature and can't you are going to start cursing.

Best to bite the bullet now and set up a proper site. If you need to pay someone £50 to help you then the investment will be worthwhile.

Consider as well that a properly built website will pay for itself in a month or two but you will be paying 1and1 for evermore.

And 1and1's support is notoriously bad. Do a bit of googling and there are hundreds of horror stories.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  19. leaving home

If we decide to come away from Mr Site and go to say Wordpress or another. What about all the work achieved on the sites such as blogs, photographs, advertising just about everything achieved over the last two years. Can this material be moved or is it just simply better to start all over again? Sorry to be a numpty here but any advice and suggestions warmly welcome. Not sure I can post my website or I would get you all to take a look for some advice and guidance. Thanks so much

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 By: leaving home Member since: Mar 19, 2011
  20. fisicx

Moving everything across is easy. It's just going to be a bit time consuming. Everything on the current site will be there on the Wordpress site. And I'd put money on you getting an increase in visitors and conversions from the off.

You can't post your URL for review, that's for full members only.