General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Finding wholesale purchasers

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Tandbelle, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Tandbelle

Tandbelle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    I am at a stage in my business (baby nursery products) where I am looking to start wholesaling my stock to retailers (preferably bricks and mortar shops). Can anyone advise on the best way to approach this/advertise wholesale stock?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: Tandbelle Member since: Mar 13, 2019
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,910 9,760
    Are you booked to display at trade shows? Have you got a van load of products to take around the country and show to retailers? Do you have the stock to supply chain stores? Have you been generating warm leads through advertising and other marketing strategies? Have you researched where retailers already get their stock?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Tandbelle

13 0
    Hi, no I am not booked at trade shows as the cost is very high to take part in these. I would only be looking to work with small independent retailers/boutiques not large chains etc. I am a sole trader currently selling direct to consumer as exclusive UK distributor of a Canadian brand in the UK. Many retailers in the sector I'm looking at buy direct from similar small brands which is why I would prefer to target this sector.

4. fisicx

32,910 9,760
    Does this mean you have exclusivity or you are currently the only supplier in the UK?

Is this brand well known in the UK? If not you need to drive the country in your van showing retailers the product (because you aren't attending trade shows). Or have loads of samples to send them. Have you got a list of all the retailers? Are you sending them promotional material? Do you have a sale or return policy? Have you got stands and posters for the shops to display the products?

I was in a supermarket the other day and they had a new range of baby products. There was a big display unit to attract attention with sample packs and special offers. What are you offering retailers?

What are these products? Are they clothes, toys, food, accessories?

5. Tandbelle

13 0
    I have exclusivity, the brand is not well known in the UK but has several distributors in other territories as well as around 10 bricks and mortar stockists in it's home country. The brand is also a small business. I don't have a van but I do have the ability to send samples. The products are play mats so they are large and rolled like rugs, they suit a boutique nursery/children's interiors shop better than a large outlet - I am able to offer a low MOQ but would prefer not to offer sale & return. I don't have a long list of retailers as I'm not sure how to find small independent bricks and mortar stores - I have contacted the ones that I have found so far via networking.

6. fisicx

32,910 9,760
    You find retailers but spending all your time on Google. It can takes weeks to find them all. Or you pay someone for a list.

Send a sample to everyone on your list. Tell them about the low MOQ and offer sale or return. They are not gong to stock and pay you for an unknown product unless they know it can sell.

Have any of the stores you found via networking taken any of your stock?

If 100 stores each order 10 mats next week would you be able to deliver within days?

Is the wholesale cost (including delivery) a fraction of the retail RRP? I saw a figure of about 40% on another thread and similar websites. There was one guy making a swimming accessory and he paid under a pound for a £9.99 product. He was wholesaling for about £3.

7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,647 1,718
    In with @fisicx on this one. Indie retail is a fairly old-fashioned foot leather and face-to-face sales environment

If it isn't too late, get yourself as a visitor to the Autumn Fair at NEC and spend an afternoon in the relevant section. Look st who is selling, who is buying, terms of trade etc etc. You will find some wholesalers quite open and friendly if approached in their quiet moments.

Also look at the potential for commission agents - those who sell a range of non- competing goods into this sector

Above all, ensure that you have a solid contract and even more solid credit control policy b

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,486 2,835
    Sorry, Autumn fair has finished for the year.

Right, you don't want to do trade fairs and don't have capacity to travel the country with stock.

Problem you have is that you need to market to the relevant people who may well want to see the product before they buy. You are competing with businesses who do attend trade fairs.

OK then your options are limited.
    Decent website, lots of money thrown at marketing the website, decently priced stock (wholesale price a fraction of retail price), properly labelled, quick delivery? And free delivery when ordering a certain amount?

How does your wholesale price stack up against your competitors?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017