Feedback please

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by HFE Signs, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HFE Signs

HFE Signs UKBF Ace Full Member

1,092 149
    Hi Folks,

Can I have some constructive criticism on our website please. www.hfe-signs.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  2. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

2,085 476
    dont like the popup
    page is too busy for me
    "We are the UK's leading supplier for mail order printed banners." - a similar claim appears on a lot of websites, anything to back this up?

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  3. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Thanks for the feedback. The pop-up only appears once every 3 months (unless you clear your history), we get good feedback as people like our promo codes. The site is busy but this is the kind of business we are, amazon and ebay are also busy, we have to make the key products easily found. We back up the claim as we are the UK's No.1 in category rated by Trustpilot

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  4. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

2,085 476
    fair enough. Maybe link the claim to a page/section that mentions the trustpilot rating

GT Metrix gives it a very low score,

Performance Scores
    PageSpeed Score
    (52%)
    YSlow Score
    (48%)
    Page Details
    Fully Loaded Time
    8.5s
    Total Page Size
    2.81MB
    Requests

Images, CSS and JS could be optimised without changing the look/feel.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  5. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,250 1,733
    Is it working for you ( converting visitors to sales)?

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,912 9,057
    Hate the popup.

Busy, busy, busy, there is just too much of everything.

When I land on a site like this I expect the products to be on the homepage either as a grid or a simple list. What I do see is information dumped any old how on the page with sliders and animations and no real structure.

I looked at this page: https://www.hfe-signs.co.uk/indoor-banner-display.php

It says from £126 (inc VAT) but the cheapest calculated option is £149+VAT. Something is awry

I tried to buy the banner but couldn't see how to upload my artwork. It says proceed to checkout but I don't want to pay until I've made sure you can even print my banner with my artwork.

And it says delivery to be TBC but your homepage says it should be free (I ordered two banners).

The font size is way too small and far too light. Bigger and darker is much easier to read.

And the header says: "UK's No.1 Mail Order Signs, Banners & Digital Print". That's totally different to being "the top rated provider in category on trustpilot".

There is lots more but that will do for now.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. HFE Signs

1,092 149

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  8. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Yes, the site works very well, I'm just looking to improve, thanks

9. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Thanks, I'll look into getting this improved

10. itsnathanhere

itsnathanhere UKBF Regular Full Member

110 28
    Nothing necessarily wrong with having the pop up if it's not hurting your conversions. However I'm not sure if it's just my browser or its designed this way, but there's no close button on the popup for me, which means unless i sign up to your email list I can't actually read half the site! I can imagine this putting off a lot of brand new customers.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: itsnathanhere Member since: Nov 7, 2011
  11. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

545 99
    Had the same issue - would make me click away quite quickly

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  12. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Can you please tell me what browser and device you’re using, you should be able to click anywhere off the box or the cross top right, thanks for pointing this out

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  13. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

545 99
    It's a Windows 10 laptop running Chrome

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  14. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,950 3,496
    We are one of your customers.

If I had been confronted with that pop-up that blocks out the rest of the site on a mobile and most of it on a PC, we wouldn't have become one of your customers!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  15. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Thanks for your feedback, I have disabled the pop-up. We are looking to add a link on the homepage to allow people to subscribe.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  16. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,912 9,057
    I don't see an option for frame one. I'm sure once you get used to the site it's easy to use but for newcomers it can be confusing
    You know that and your existing customers know that but I didn't know that. I expect to upload my artwork before I get to checkout. But if it works for you then that's fine.

I'd still make the font darker and bigger

And really thing about the homepage. Getting this sorted would make a huge difference to new clients. Run some tests and see where people click and weed out the bits that get no clicks. I'd put all my focus on the product range. Show me what you sell.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. SYN

SYN UKBF Newcomer Full Member

16 4
    You should make the X to close the banner offer visible always so it doesn't become intrusive, unless someone moves mouse to the top right to make X show it won't close.

Posted: Jan 25, 2019 By: SYN Member since: Jan 21, 2019
  18. HFE Signs

1,092 149
    Thanks for this, it has been updated now

Posted: Jan 25, 2019 By: HFE Signs Member since: Feb 17, 2011
  19. justinaldridge

justinaldridge UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

669 252
    The pop up is a bit intrusive but if it works for you then carry on! However, can you delay it popping up, maybe even 30 seconds? We always delay a pop up relative to average time on page. It doesn't look like it appears on mobile, is that correct? If it did then it could be a problem as Google penalises for this now, especially if it takes up most of the mobile screen.

The home should ideally feature your main product categories, or all of them if you can. It's good for users and SEO.

How much mobile traffic do you get compared to desktop? The mobile site is better than the desktop (it's usually the other way around!) but the category pages on mobile need refining. They don't need to display an image and text at the top as this pushes down the products themselves, which is what users want to see.

The optimisation of the site is very old style. We've seen sites lose rankings with this set up, particularly with some of the 2018 updates, so it may be worth reviewing this on the key pages.

The checkout process is very clunky and doesn't incorporate best practices for good conversions.

Have you tried running split tests on product pages and the basket and checkout pages? You should easily be able to increase conversions by streamlining the who purchase process from product selection to payment.

To be honest, it needs a bit of a tidy up to make it easier to use and bring it up to date with current optimisation techniques.

Posted: Feb 2, 2019 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  20. Redd

Redd UKBF Regular Full Member

196 11
    I think there is a lot of text on the homepage, personally I wanna see pictures I can open and then view the text about said picture.

Posted: Feb 25, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013