Feedback from Business Owners

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by madams_ba, Jun 15, 2018.

1. madams_ba

madams_ba UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 5
    Posted: Jun 15, 2018 By: madams_ba Member since: Oct 11, 2011
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,699 9,696
    I had to scroll a long way before I got to the guide. If I needed help I’d have bounced of the page within seconds (I don’t care about your story).

When I got to the start of the guide it said I needed to begin with a plan. I’d have thought you need to do a bit of research first to find out if your business idea is viable.

I also take issue with your suggestion that you begin with Wordpress to be very flawed.

I did read down a bit more but gave up as it jumped about all over the place. It got very confusing.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

22,866 2,752
    I'd alter your format a lot.
    Move the first bit about you elsewhere.

The sections would do better with being more readable. Rather than single line entries that jump around try a sentence, a paragraph and have things flow. Save your one liners for when you want to emphasise and use bullet points. Handy for summarising, poor when its the presentation.

Perhaps even expand sections to go into more detail. I can follow along with what you've posted as I've a couple of decades experience of a chunk of it. Someone starting out, someone investigating setting up their own business who presumably would be looking for this kind of guide? Hard to read, hard to grasp the details?

Overall I'm impressed you went to the trouble you did. Like our resident Major Clanger I didn't get to the end, long day and I'm tired. Another time.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,044 1,969
    I really liked it and read it all (whether I had if just landing on the page though I don't know)

I disagree about, not caring about your story, the story about you is what made me read more.

What I don't like is the return to top button, 1st and 2nd time was nifty, after that it was just annoying
    I would have liked a plain jump to top next to every heading (and not jump all the way to top, but to the navigation)

I really like one liners and big line spacing but it was a bit too much

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. madams_ba

39 5
    Firstly, I very much appreciate the time you guys have taken to read my post and comment on this thread. It’s great to get this type of feedback because you just can’t get it from Google Analytics

I’ve written a note below in response to individual comments but here’s some things I’ve done or am planning to-do to improve the blog post:

- Adding a short (30 sec) video to explain the guide and how to get to it
    - Added a button at the top of the ‘About me’ bit that says ‘Skip this and go straight to the guide’.
    - Adding a back to top button under each heading
    - Reviewing format and one line spacing

@fisicx

Thanks Fisicx.

Yes, there’s a lot of scrolling required for this post so I will definitely make improvements to this.

I agree with the research points. My view was that the research would be done as part of the plan but prob didn't make it clear. I do appreciate there will be some people who don’t care about my story.

I’ll have another look at the ‘jumping around’ and try to make it flow better.

May I ask why you disagree with using Wordpress?

Cheers,

Matt

@mr-d

Thanks, I realise now that I’ve probably over used the one-line sentences – I’ve had both good and bad feedback on this - It was in a bid to keep the post fast paced.

I will bear it in mind for my writing though.

The ‘about me’ section is a tough one because I’ve had mixed feedback on this too. I’ve now added a button to say ‘skip this and go straight to guide.

I know what you mean about the detail so will certainly look at going into a bit more detail in the coming months.

I’m really happy that you’re impressed overall so thanks for mentioning that.

Cheers,

Matt

@UKSBD

Really glad you like the story and pleased to hear it made you read on.

Excellent suggestion – I’ll certainly add back to top buttons (that jump and don’t scroll) on the headers

Sure, I’ve probably gone a bit overboard one-liners so will bear that in mind

Thanks again!
    Matt

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 By: madams_ba Member since: Oct 11, 2011
  6. Speedydot

Speedydot UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 0
    Great work, i had some free time and do a bit of reading.. This was very usual, shared on my social.

Posted: Jun 24, 2018 By: Speedydot Member since: Mar 23, 2018
  7. madams_ba

39 5
    Thanks Speedydot, really appreciate the feedback and the share :)

Posted: Jun 24, 2018 By: madams_ba Member since: Oct 11, 2011
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,699 9,696
    Except they didn't share anything.

Posted: Jun 24, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. madams_ba

39 5
    Look's like you're right Fisicx - good spot. Seems I've been duped :(

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 By: madams_ba Member since: Oct 11, 2011
  10. Speedydot