General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Customer wants compensation

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by OMGVape, Jan 10, 2021.

1. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

509 67
    A customer bought a self-build greenhouse 7 months ago and emailed last week to say the clips holding the glass to frame are breaking. We have been selling these for nearly 10 years and never had an issue so I suspect a faulty batch during manufacturing.

Naturally we have offered to send a new set to replace them.

Customer is not happy with this and is asking for compensation (£350 from a £700 purchase price).

How should I deal with this? I am certainly not going to give a 50% refund.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Scottishgifts4u

Scottishgifts4u UKBF Regular Free Member

118 44
    I think you’re being more than reasonable replacing the clips. It’s odds on maybe one or 2 have broken and presumably you’re sending him a full set.

What can he possibly be claiming compensation for?

He hasn’t suffered any monetary losses and is just trying it on. If he is capable of leaving you a bad review just explain your side of the story.

Send him the clips and ignore any further correspondence.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Scottishgifts4u Member since: Jul 6, 2017
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    Agree with the above. Keep an eye out for the bad review and respond accordingly. With the right response you can enhance your reputation.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,200 2,094
    As a final goodwill gesture you might send them a small funnel, which will make it easier for them to insert their compensation and new clips where they belong.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

14,906 4,021
    Has some of the glass broken when the clips failed? If so you should replace that as well.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Oscar478

Oscar478 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 3
    I've had several greenhouses in my time, you sometimes find the clips have sprung out and are lying on the ground, but I have never seen one break, so I agree with the faulty batch theory. If the only loss he has suffered is the breaking clips, then all he should expect compensating for is the clips. If you buy a car that gets recalled due to a faulty headlight, they replace the headlight, they don't give you half the sale price back too.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Oscar478 Member since: Sep 6, 2017
  7. Rekkovitch

Rekkovitch UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 3
    I certainly would not be giving them a refund , for them to ask for 50% is laughable.

I think you are being very reasonable by offering them a replacement part(s)

Chances are they will try and leave you negative feedback. In the past I had one customer who intended to not pay us try and slander us because their friend stumped up the money and they just didn't want to pay. Sadly you get people trying it on and these are the people who make you the least money but the most aggro

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Rekkovitch Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  8. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,653 4,527
    Don't forget to cut their lawn as well, and cook 'em a roast dinner whilst you are at it.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  9. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,972 937
    This is another case of a low IQ customer who has read the word compensation, potentially in the Beano, and thinks that being an arrogant irritant is somehow big.

Repeat the offer of the clips. He is only entitled to compensation to the extent the faulty clips have cost him money.

If the offer of new lips is rejected, withdraw that, too.

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  10. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,037 769
    I would go further and take it out of his hands. I would simply send, recorded delivery a full new “improved” version of the clips, a complete set. Free, to replace a faulty batch, with a simple thank you for drawing this issue to your attention.

Then ignore.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017