Choosing an Online Payment Processor

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Ozzy, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magic-merl

magic-merl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    For me I would have to suggest the PayPal route. This is even more evident when you administer your own web sites as you control exactly what is on screen not the 3rd Part software that runs your cart.

PayPal is a good starter - lower rates etc. Once established then consider upgrading to someone like WorldPay, I have used them in the past and they are good - but if you margins are low then don't rush into anything with them.

Tip - Keep it simple at first and develop your payment methods over time!

Posted: Jan 18, 2006 By: magic-merl Member since: Jan 8, 2006
  2. thegateways

thegateways UKBF Newcomer Free Member

73 2
    I think it is also important to review the Payment frequency for a payment processor. Some pay as soon as the customer makes the payment, others may make weekly, bi monthly or monthly payments to their clients. Also, you have to put a minimum amount that you wish to be transferred to you, which means you will get your money less often.

Secondly, It is also important to know little more about the payment processor like has their customer support been nice ? Has it been more than acceptable as per your requirement ?
    What are the current issue ? How they've dealt with the vast majority of issues promptly?

As some has recommended here I found chronopay The Netherland based company is really growing fast, offering good solution to merchants of EU, their site is quite promising and take care of their customers as above.

Posted: Jan 24, 2006 By: thegateways Member since: Nov 6, 2005
  3. Sharon

Sharon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

140 0
    Hi,

Could anyone give me reasons not to use PayPal?

I'm hopefully going to start receiving payments on April/May. I don't expect to receive more than 10 payments a day at about £50 each (one payment a day would be a nice thought to start with :wink: )

I have a Barclays Business Account, and would like the money to go into the account more or less immediately.

I'm hoping to keep costs as low as possible obviously, as we start up.

I've got quotes from Barclays and WorldPay, but I don't know why I'd use them when I could just use PayPal?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 By: Sharon Member since: Feb 23, 2006
  4. Sharon

Sharon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

140 0
    I've now had some T&Cs from Barclaycard Business... they want £7500 cash as a security!

That has really helped to make my decision... we don't have £7500, we're starting up a completely new company, and remortgaging the house to get the set-up costs, we're not millionnaires yet! :wink:

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 By: Sharon Member since: Feb 23, 2006
  5. FreeLocal

FreeLocal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

392 1
    PayPal now operate their system without having to sign up with them.

Posted: Mar 4, 2006 By: FreeLocal Member since: Mar 2, 2006
  6. Guest

0 0
    paypal is easy to register & easy to access. You don't have to have a bank account to open a paypal account

Posted: Mar 29, 2006 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. verus

verus UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Kagi is good though, other is paypall.

Posted: Mar 29, 2006 By: verus Member since: Mar 29, 2006
  8. webit

webit UKBF Ace Full Member

1,130 7
    Anyone know of 'big players' who just use Paypal? - also what's the max transaction (Nochex being £100/200)

Anyone using Chronopay? http://www.chronopay.com/

Posted: Apr 9, 2006 By: webit Member since: Jul 13, 2005
  9. Early Warning

Early Warning UKBF Newcomer Free Member

83 0
    One thing to look for when choosing an Online Payment Processor is check what they will do to protect you from fraudulent transactions

Posted: Apr 26, 2006 By: Early Warning Member since: Apr 25, 2006
  10. Neil Tulloch

Neil Tulloch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    NetBanx can also assist businesses that do not have a merchant account through its Bureau Service. There are no annual fees associated with using NetBanx and the rates are competitive.

Posted: May 23, 2006 By: Neil Tulloch Member since: May 23, 2006
  11. My Business Mate

My Business Mate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Whilse there are a number of options, it seems to me that the best option is to get your own credit card merchant facility. But the banks don't like start ups or web based businesses.
    Has anyone had any recent successes with the banks and if so which one?
    Thanks
    Ian Jones
    mybusinessmates

Posted: Jun 7, 2006 By: My Business Mate Member since: May 30, 2006
  12. Surf_Anonymously

Surf_Anonymously UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    My online payment processor is 2checkout.com , I would also recommen WorldPay.com.

Cheers

Dan

Posted: Jun 16, 2006 By: Surf_Anonymously Member since: Jan 28, 2006
  13. billyboy

billyboy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    You should add e-Path to that list. I came across these guys by accident but have since set up a few oscommerce and zen cart clients of mine with them and its surprising how good the thing works. No transaction fees and its only about £90 per year with nothing else to pay. Looks like an unusually good solution and my webdev clients are very happy which is the only thing that counts really.
    Cheers

Posted: Jul 6, 2006 By: billyboy Member since: Jul 6, 2006
  14. billyboy

billyboy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hope I don't get in trouble for posting a second time but I just saw your post Ian.

I don't want this to sound like an advertisment but I'm now using e-Path with most of my clients e-commerce sites. But the interesting thing is some banks evaluate the e-Path gateway differently to real time gateways. The amount you pay on your merchant account will largely be calculated on the risk assessment.

As you know with a real time gateway anyone anywhere can enter any number they like and the merchant had better hope like hell they don't get a charge back down the track. The merchant can't check the order before its processed with a real time gateway. This is maybe the biggest reason why banks just don't warm to internet businesses.

According to one of my clients they had a .4% reduction in their merchant account fees at their bank after they informed them they were transacting on the net only using e-Path. Another cleint of mine who I set up a zen cart for and accepts cc payments with e-Path tells me his % fee with his bank is actually less than my own and I have been at the SAME BANK for ten years!!

Banks have the very cheap manual MOTO (mail order telephone order) merchant account for as low as £3 per month. With this you can accept credit ard payments that come to you by phone and like some of my clients, accept them through e-Path on the net. It works out to be very cheap all up, even cheaper than PayPal.

I have yet to really look under the skin of it but its looking as though I may even scrap my own real time payment gateway for this mob and it will save me a fair bit. I don't mind manually charging credit cards at all and if I too can get a reduction in my merchant account fees at my bank I'll be in a much better position than I am in now. So it does seem there are ways to work things to your advantage, my clients are doing better then me at the moment.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 6, 2006 By: billyboy Member since: Jul 6, 2006
  15. coultog

coultog UKBF Newcomer Free Member

285 6
    Simon,

I currently use NOCHEX and PayPal for my payments. I was worried about charge backs, so I decided to apply for a merchant account to accept higher transactions (£300). Had someone said we would need to have a retained balance of £500 I wouldn't have bothered applying. For small businesses having £500 of cash out the use doesn't work. Do you know if there are any plans to make the retained balance lower or remove it all together?

Thanks

Posted: Aug 5, 2006 By: coultog Member since: Aug 5, 2006
  16. Bee

Bee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Has anybody any ideas on how a new business can get an online merchant facility as well as a chip & pin facility?
    As a new company we are having difficulties getting a bank to give us this facility and it is delaying our launch.......

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 By: Bee Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  17. gilesmay

gilesmay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

61 0
    Our company deals with this matter, if you need help please call us or PM me for more details,

Giles
    01933 355 699

Posted: Oct 5, 2006 By: gilesmay Member since: Jun 23, 2006
  18. PrivateInvestigator

PrivateInvestigator UKBF Newcomer Free Member

279 9
    Do you know of any payment processors or cheap merchant accounts thatw ill allow me to charge a customer's card? I work on a split fee basis. The client pays me a small upfront fee, and a second larger fee only if I provide results. The trouble is that getting the second payment off of the client is soemtimes very difficult (greedy people lol :D). I'd liek to just charge their card for the second payment after waiting a few weeks after notifiying them.

Posted: Oct 12, 2006 By: PrivateInvestigator Member since: Oct 12, 2006
  19. office man

office man UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

890 84
    hi

i have just launched our new office supplies site officeprofiles (uk or com)
    and have been very pleased with the way protx have guided us through what can be a daunting task.
    Their bak office system is also second to none

Posted: Nov 27, 2006 By: office man Member since: Nov 27, 2006
  20. Mr.Digital

Mr.Digital UKBF Newcomer Free Member

101 0
    KwikPay.co.uk is dead, it's on Sedo for sale.

I'd also add 2checkout.com, their a great CC processor.

Posted: Nov 29, 2006 By: Mr.Digital Member since: Nov 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.