can I remove the comment section on wordpress posts?

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by mugatea, Feb 6, 2021.

1. mugatea

mugatea UKBF Regular Free Member

558 38
    hey, working on making my site faster, 99% of my posts have no comments, some of the ones that do have hundreds and one has 1000. The one with a thousand comments, that post is 10% post and 90% comment section. Can I just remove the comment section and any ability to comment altogether without harming my seo?

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  2. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell Guest

0 0
    How about the 'disable comments' plug in ?

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  3. Ozzy

Ozzy Founder of UKBF Administrator

3,850 342
    I don't know if removing comments will effect your SEO, but I'd imagine not greatly.
    If you are asking how to remove comments though, that's generally quite easy. On my Wordpress installation it's a tick box in the Discussion option under Settings, and also when editing the Post. You may also find it as a custom option for your Theme.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,367 10,201
    Don’t need a plugin to do this.

Use the ‘quick edit’ option on each post to disable comments.

Or select all posts and use the ‘edit’ option above the list.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. mugatea

558 38
    thanks guys. Graham, if I do that, it wont harm my better ranking posts will it? comments, especially if you have hundreds destroy loading time

Oh that just disables them, I can actually remove them quite easy, is that ok from a seo point of view and just have posts without comments?

*Oh I've just went and done it and its better. Better as posts load a lot quicker and 99% of posts that had no comments look better without a form

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Posted: Feb 7, 2021 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  6. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck { Moderator }

10,638 2,145
    Content in comments is little different to content in the post.

If there are specific phrases in the comments that are not in the post, removing the comments can effect your rankings.

If it's your popular post I doubt removing the comments would be as detrimental as if it was just a short post, you may lose some longtail traffic though

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  7. mugatea

558 38
    well I subbmitted that big post to Google console and today it tanked. On serprobot it went from 3 to 88 but it wasnt the post at 88 it was my homepage. so I've put the comments back up. wonder if it was just a dance and it would settle down or if google valued the comments more than the post or maybe the change was so big they saw it as a new post.

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  8. mugatea

558 38
    Ha! Found out that gravatar images on 1000 comments screwed up the post loading speed. I was using MonsterID images for commenters with no gravatar image, but even MonsterID images are downloaded from gravatar, thats 1000 images that had to be requested just for the comment section. Turned off gravatars and post page speed is now 3 seconds faster and requests went from 400 down to 39.

9. UKSBD

10,638 2,145
    It doesn't look as though Google sees any of your comments before 4th October

Did you previously have it set to only show so many comments?

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  10. mugatea

558 38
    I had it set to break after so many comments

11. UKSBD

10,638 2,145
    check the cached snapshot of the page

copy some text from the last comment (made on October 4th) and search for it in quotation marks. and you will see Google sees it.

Then do the same for the next comment down (made on 10th August) and you will see Google doesn't see that.

That basically tells you that you can set it back to only show a few comments without the fear of losing rankings

Posted: Feb 8, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  12. mugatea

558 38
    well its jumped up to number 2 at the mo, so I will leave it for now, but I think removing avatars has worked out quite well

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 By: mugatea Member since: Apr 28, 2011
  13. 505

505 UKBF Contributor Full Member

33 1
    According to what I have seen in my work, the comments show the interest of users in the respective publication. This means a higher ranking of the publication itself in Google Search. So, I would not remove the comments. You did the right thing with the avatars, the unnecessary load, better without pictures. The problem is not only in the images it generates, but also the CSS styles for them

Posted: Feb 14, 2021 By: 505 Member since: May 28, 2019
  14. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,043 148
    Quality comments in your wordpress posts still counts to build your reputation. However it will need strict moderation to filter all the comments in your pages.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  15. Jyothi Tulasi

Jyothi Tulasi UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 2
    Comments are always helpful. Better to make the comment section nofollow and just keep the entire section. It may even depend on the type of service you provide.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Jyothi Tulasi Member since: Nov 11, 2020
  16. richwrite

richwrite UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    Some bloggers have strong opinions and believe that comments are a crucial feature of a blog. The majority of people are pragmatic about it and believe that comments are helpful. However, removing the comments /comment section can have both positive and negative effects on your blogs. Removing the comment section results in no spam comments on your blog post, the size of the page will be smaller, and your web page’s performance will also increase.

Posted: Apr 27, 2021 By: richwrite Member since: Apr 21, 2021