Boosting sales on E-commerce site

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin B1212, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Justin B1212

Justin B1212 UKBF Contributor Free Member

39 1
    My existing E-commerce Wordpress website is generating only 3 percent of my annual sales. I have learned SEO and applied the principle to optimise the website. There is a lot of room for improvement, such as having more quality external links to my website and publishing more blogs to the website ( I am only publishing one blog a month at the moment) I used peopleperhour and found an Indian programmer to re-design the website, the result was ok. I am due to receive a grant of £3k-5k to promote my website and my products. This grant has to be paid to a digital marketing consultant. Is there any advice on how I should spend the money wisely? Shall I use an overseas digital marketing consultant advertised on Peopleperhour, as the UK ones seem to be very expensive? I would really appreciate it if anyone has similar experience or any good contacts to share. Many thanks.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

25,461 3,108
    Do you want cheap?
    Or do you want something useful?

Perhaps look at why the UK ones are so expensive.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,659 9,977
    What are you selling to whom?

external links and blogging won’t improve things. And I doubt a digital marketeer with be of much use either (most are useless)

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Justin B1212

39 1
    I sell furniture and home accessories online to the general public online.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  5. John Toomey

John Toomey JDJT1966 Full Member

42 6
    Hi Justin, the wonderful world of digital marketing can be minefield and you can easily burn through the budget with little or no return. That said, Google's parent company Alphabet didn't make the money they make by having a product that doesn't work so it can work.

If you're already selling off line I assume you have product that people are willing to buy. So, if the aim is to drive traffic online to make it easier to process orders and sell to people outside your footfall and you want to use a company get yourself ready so that you at least know the basics:
    • Analyse your existing sales to develop a persona for the types of customers who provide you with the best life time value i.e. the ones that repeat purchase
    • With a persona in hand, ensure you setup the ad copy to target the persona
    • Limit the time you advertise and the location (£5k is not enough for a UK national campaign)
    • You won't really know whether the budget is enough until you understand what you will have to pay per click
    • Research the keywords / terms that buyers have used to find your product on Google because you know they work. Over time, Google analytics will give you some of the information you need
    • Ensure that the copy you use in your PPC ads relate to the pages you link to, otherwise your bounce rate (% of people who leave your site after viewing one page) will be high and you will waste a lot of money
    • If you want information about the types of keyword matching options search "search term types on Google Ads" on Google. I have seen people select the wrong one before and they end up with too much low quality traffic (expensive) or not enough traffic (return is low)
    Consider off line activity to drive traffic to the site
    • Driving traffic to the site by ensuring you promote your face to face buyers but do it post sale otherwise they may leave the shop and you may lose the sale
    • Ensure you collect their email addresses, by asking to keep them in touch about special offers, so that you can stay in touch.
    In terms of who? We have used on- and off-shore people and both can be good and bad. It really depends how much effort you want to put in to find the right company.

I hope this helps but if you need any more pointers feel free to get in contact.

Posted: Nov 13, 2020 By: John Toomey Member since: Sep 7, 2020
  6. Kevin Joseph

Kevin Joseph UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 3
    I am personally doing the SEO for a furniture manufacturing company. All the points mentioned above by John hold true.

You'd better watch out for shoddy SEOers who build bad links which will plague your site for years to come. As for Ads, regardless of whether you do it yourself or via an agency/someone else, I recommend that you be as involved as possible. There are simply too many overlaps between business & Digital marketing

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 By: Kevin Joseph Member since: Sep 1, 2020
  7. Emre Eldar

Emre Eldar UKBF Contributor Free Member

27 3
    Hi, besides you need o look into your e-commerce site, there is one more important factor that you need to take care of as an excellent social proof. What is that? Your product/service reviews. Review plays an important role to influence the decision of people to buy your products/services. The more positive reviews you have on your e-commerce site, the more sales you will get.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: Emre Eldar Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  8. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,536 544
    I am a digital marketing consultant and, you'll be pleased to know, I don't want your money. :)

For such a sum I would avoid a multi-talented agency where they claim to be experts on everything when, in reality, you have one person of influence and half a dozen lackeys on minimum wage or less doing the actual grunt work. They'll burn through your money in no time with little or nothing to show for it other than a bunch of failed, experimental pay per click campaigns.

Better to deal with a one man band who knows at least one area very well and can use the funding to set you on the right path. That may be a marketing consultant or seo person of which their are a few around here.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  9. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    Then giving the money to a digital marketing wonk won’t achieve anything useful. You will spend all the money and get a load of guff in return.

There are loads of places I can buy furniture and homeware, for me to even know you exist means your marketing budget needs to be a lot higher that the grant. You need to be listed on all the major shopping channels, spend money on advertising and other promotions and be better at SEO that your competitors.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  10. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

382 112
    As @fisicx says giving the money to a consultant is unlikely to be the answer. You need a thorough marketing plan based on data from your customers, website, your market and competitors.

The only successful way to run any marketing and lead generation/sales campaigns is to do proper initial research and then come up with a plan that targets, measures and tests the processes properly. The process should focus on:
    1. Researching where your customers will look for your products and what they actually search for; e.g. its online, but where do they search, Amazon, eBay, Wayfair, Google and if you want to grow your website sales what do they type in search engines, can you compete here with your budget?
    2. Identify your customers for marketing and tighter targeting purposes; e.g. define their age groups, locations, demographics, affluence etc.
    3. Identify the core products you want to promote; these should be profitable for you and something you can deliver and then scale further if your lead generation really takes off, you may not be able to compete on all products depending on retail price and margin
    4. What do these products do for your customers and how do you communicate this succinctly; e.g. why is yours better, what's great about it, why should they buy from you?
    5. What is your unique selling point (USP), basically the marketing hook to get them interested; e.g. do you do something great that the competition doesn't, is your order process simpler or faster, are you better on price, or do you offer a unique angle etc.
    Once you've done this you can see how your own site and marketing performs against this criteria currently.

You may well need to do a large amount, and combination of, different work here; e.g.
    • product copy changes and technical SEO tweaks to product descriptions, meta title & descriptions etc
    • website conversion and behaviour tracking improvement to be able to maximise performance with A/B tests
    • ongoing website changes to improve conversion rates based on the tests
    • setup new PPC campaigns and a range of tests and optimisations to determine what works
    • setup Google Merchant Centre feeds and decent shopping campaigns to target your customers, products & use negative keywords to be ultra cost efficient
    • its unlikely you have sufficient budget to do much off site SEO work, plus you should be aiming to find out what works well via PPC before you do any of this to avoid wasting time and money
    We don't really have enough info based on what you've said, but this should be about a marketing plan to deliver initial results that you can then build on with a further marketing budget.

Anything else is likely to burn the money and if you're very lucky get a return, but its far more likely just to waste it...

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  11. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,716 638
    Buy cheap, buy again. I really wouldn't go down the cheap route when it comes to digital marketing and it will be money down the drain... Alex

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  12. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    On the other hand, it's not actually their money so they can splurge the lot if they want:
    Unless of course there are conditions attached to the grant.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,536 544
    I would certainly hope so? A blank cheque to spend on PPH would be like chucking money on a raging fire.

Posted: Nov 17, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  14. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,716 638
    Ah yes, was more on about if he HAS to spend it on a digital marketing company, may as well pay a good one and have the work done right as opposed to spending the money on a poor service and get nothing in return. Alex

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  15. chrisbawden

chrisbawden UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 3
    I have been in e-commerce for 15 years. Personal opinion, one from making many mistakes myself!

£3-5k wont do anything for SEO at all. All of these SEO companies saying, pay £500-1000 a month, won't make much difference at all, especially in a highly competitive sector.

Invest the money in Google Adwords, I use a very good agency for my Google Shopping management, in the UK, fairly cheap. So there are good agencies in the UK. We get £10 in sales for every £1 we spend now, but it has taken several years to get to this point.

There are very good freelancers on sites like PPH or Upwork, some UK based and some abroad. If you hire a freelancer, check references, talk to there clients and ensure you give them ROAS targets to work towards.

Investing £3-5k in google ads should give an immediate return in sales and revenue and you can continue after the grant has been spent. Even if you initially get £3 for every £1 spent, you have still flipped the £5k grant to £15k in sales. Not bad eh! You can improve this ROI over time, it won't happen over night.

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: chrisbawden Member since: Aug 27, 2014
  16. Justin B1212

39 1
    . Thank you all for your expertise :) Chris, would you mind PM me the details of the agency you use from Google shopping management? Shall I try to take some free online google adwords lessons from Google?

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  17. chrisbawden

chrisbawden UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 3
    i have sent you by PM who we use for our shopping accounts, but i am not sure if they are taking on new clients or not. Certainly worth asking however!

Honestly, its free money, the grant. So i guess you could try to learn it yourself. Personally, i have run our myself but cannot get anywhere near the current performance of the agency i use. Its quite easy to set up things like shopping campaigns if your tech-savvy. It will go one of two ways, either great or terrible.

I have had people run our google accounts and perform terribly before, like £2 for every £1 spent, so it's success really does depend on who does it and how well they understand PPC.

Do you already have a adwords account and a google merchant centre?

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: chrisbawden Member since: Aug 27, 2014
  18. Justin B1212

39 1
    Yes. I have already got an adwords account but I don’t have a google merchant center. Thank you so much for sharing the details of the agency

Posted: Nov 18, 2020 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

382 112
    Chris is spot on, you can only really develop an effective SEO strategy once you know what works, and what you can afford. There's no point in going after keywords that don't convert well, or that big competitors are spending a fortune on.

That's the whole point of the keyword, customer and competitor/market research, identifying as much of this as possible first, so your initial marketing isn't guesswork wasting your money.

Google Ads and then Shopping are a great way to start, as the budget and targeting can be tightly controlled, and you can quickly optimise for buying intent keywords in search ads, if you're tracking all online and offline conversions properly.

We usually find that the problem with most Shopping campaigns is they're not targeted well at all. The setup is done at the same time as search ads, and then there's 100% reliance on product descriptions and trusting Google to show the right Shopping Ads to the right searches!

The reality is that this will spend more money on irrelevant searches and only help Google. We've saved companies a lot of money and driven very high Shopping returns by using the keyword data that converts in search ads, and combining this with the product description keywords, to setup waterfall style Shopping campaigns that only bid high on searches that are likely to convert into a sale...

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  20. fisicx

33,659 9,977
    All good advice, but it’s grant and they have to spend it on a marketing consultant not SEO or PPC.

Posted: Nov 19, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006