Best Payment gateway for small e-commerce website

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin B1212, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Justin B1212

Justin B1212 UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 1
    My Wordpress e-commerce website probably only takes £8k per year approximately. I use PayPal as the only payment gateway, but I have found out recently when I refund customers, PayPal doesn’t refund me the 3 percent transaction fee any more. Is there any better payment gateway you can recommend?

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    Yes paypal changed their terms last year sometime? Brings them in line with competitors. They notified sellers of the change well in advance.

Look around for a payment processor that refunds fees, not sure which of them do these days.

Stripe don't refund fees. They are a pretty good payment service provider for those customers of yours that don't need refunds.

Google pay does refund fees. But is Google pay a good enough service for when you don't have to refund buyers?

Don't forget too - its not just what is useful to you, its what your buyers want that matters. Is paypal a popular payment method? Will you lose sales by dropping it as an option?
    Or it is not so popular as some other methods that your buyers can use or be persuaded to use?

Posted: Jan 9, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. kevin.doran

kevin.doran UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,520 481
    I've lost count of the amount of times I've not checked-out online because I have to go dig my bank card out instead of being able to use PayPal.

Surely you can't be refunding that many people from £8k sales pa?

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: kevin.doran Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Scottishgifts4u

Scottishgifts4u UKBF Regular Free Member

118 44
    PayPal businesses account.

Best of both worlds using PayPal or cards. Just make it very clear on the checkout that you can use either.

Bit more expensive than some but as above if you’re only turning over £8k is it going to make a lot of difference?

If refunds are a problem I’d be more concerned in why you are getting them than the financial aspect.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Scottishgifts4u Member since: Jul 6, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    I use PayPal for almost everything now. If the only option is to use my credit or debit card I tend to shop elsewhere.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Tom Horton

Tom Horton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi

I think you're always going to need PayPal as one option, but for card payments I have always used Stripe as the "alternative", giving the customer a choice.

You mention about using Wordpress so am I right in saying you use WooCommerce?

Best Regards

Tom

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Tom Horton Member since: Jan 10, 2021
  7. Justin B1212

Justin B1212 UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 1
    Yes, I use word press

Posted: Jan 11, 2021 By: Justin B1212 Member since: Jul 3, 2020
  8. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 7
    I've used stripe before, pretty easy to setup with wordpress and woocommerce. Last time i tested it refunded the full amount to the buyer (didn't take 3% like paypal) but I don't know if thats still the case, might be worth asking them directly about it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020