General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

BES Utilities

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by OXO GIRL, Feb 14, 2020.

1. OXO GIRL

OXO GIRL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    Could anyone give me pointers on this one please, about to lease commercial property.
    The Electricity meter has been removed,
    I seems the last occupant may have had issues with paying the bills (think thats why the meter is missing) I dont want to use Bes Utilities but they seem to be holding the supply to ransom, they say no-one else can put a meter in the property except for them.
    So far they want £100 for admin to go forward with the meter, then six months usage paid up front.
    sounds like they are holding the meter to ransom till I give them a shed load of money, trustpilot has lots of negative reviews about BES so I dont want to get tied to someone with poor customer services.
    Anyone help with this one ? pleeeeaaassse!!!

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,829 9,368
    What does it say on the lease about utilities?

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. OXO GIRL

20 1
    Nothing specific, there is a clause " The Tenant Accepts: The premises at date of entry be in a good, substantial and tenantable condition and state of repair, and wind and watertight, and also to be fit for the purposes which they are let."
    This is a full insuring and repairing lease.

4. EntrepreneurAJ

EntrepreneurAJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Have you signed anything that states BES is to be your energy supplier?

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 By: EntrepreneurAJ Member since: Jun 28, 2018
  5. OXO GIRL

20 1
    No, they (BES) have sent a form for me to sign to say that i will be the new tennant, it also has boxes where the number of the meter should go, and the reading, obviously I am unable to answer these questions as there is no meter and therefore no proof of number or readings, they also want £100 Admin Fee, 6 months energy payment in advance and god only knows what they want to charge for putting the meter back in.
    I have not signed or filled in this form as it is not clear what position I would be in after signing, i said that it's like they are holding the meter to ransom, obviously they deny this, but when challenged the answers became very sketchy, Is this at all legal ?
    They are insisting that it is, and that they are the only people who can reinstate the meter.

6. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,279 1,588
    You don’t have to use them. Phone an alternative supplier in the morning and they’ll sort it out.

Posted: Feb 14, 2020 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  7. EntrepreneurAJ

10 0
    I know a few people who have been conned by BES in the past how they get away with it I don't know but as @simon field said just call an alternative supplier in the morning if you haven't signed anything to accept them as your supplier they don't have a leg to stand upon Ofgem has already been on their backs over the years I don't have enough rep to post links but search BES on Ofgem and there's several matters regarding them on it. It's possible that you may need your mpan number to change suppliers if so you can find out this information online depending on where yours based depends who you would approach for this information.

8. OXO GIRL

20 1
    Thanks, have checked Trust pilot and it seems they (BES) are a bit shifty will try and find out mpan, not sure how.
    I think the problem with BES is possibly last tennant owed them and they're not choosy who they get the money from so long as they get it.
    If anyone has tips how to get the MPAN without dealing with BES would be grateful.

9. EntrepreneurAJ

10 0
    What city are you in

10. OXO GIRL

20 1
    Thanks for the help so far peeps, I have the MPAN, now to find someone who can do the job soonest.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020
  11. OXO GIRL

20 1
    HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH BES, THEY ARE NOW HASSLING ME TO SIGN A 'BUSINESS MOVE FORM' ?

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020
  12. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

8,031 2,211
    Tell them to go away. Be less polite than that.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,180 797
    Don't sign anything they give you. Just ignore them and choose your own supplier.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  14. OXO GIRL

20 1
    okay, here's another question, not sure if this is the right place to post it.
    can anyone recommend a good security camera system that I can install, must work without internet connection.?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020
  15. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,829 9,368
    Would the monitor be in the office? If so there are plenty of systems you can buy. Your local installer can do this for you.

If want remote viewing (eg from home) then you need an internet connection.

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Full Member

273 100
    Hikvision cameras are good and I’ve had good advice and service from broadbandbuyer.com

so.....you went ahead and signed the full repair lease without a schedule of condition then?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  17. Bob Morgan

Bob Morgan UKBF Regular Free Member

367 99
    How odd that we never needed Security Cameras! To me they represent POOR MANAGEMENT!

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: Bob Morgan Member since: Apr 15, 2018
  18. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Full Member

2,381 561
    Don't lease the property until the landlord has sorted out the electricity.

If you've already signed the lease, then you will need to speak to BES if they are the current supplier. You can't just ignore them and switch, they will keep blocking the switch. This is the business movers form that they've mentioned.

BES is one of the worst energy companies to deal with and will take as long as possible to do anything and will hassle you to sign a contract with them, for a long term at very high rates. But you will need to deal with them. Do not agree to anything over the phone and do not let anyone expect the directors speak to them on the phone.

Firstly you need to convince them that you've taken over the unit and your business is not related to the one that was before, no common directors, shareholders, etc. This could take a while, depending on the type of business.

Once you've done this, then you need them to get them to fit a meter and let you change suppliers. They can and will charge you for the meter, a deposit, etc. They will supply you until the new supplier takes over, but again they will make this take as long as possible and charge you about 30p per kWh whilst they do it.

If you wait long enough, then another supplier can take over and fit the meter, but from memory, this takes around 6 months.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  19. OXO GIRL

20 1
    JUST FEEL BETTER WITH CAMERAS, KEEPS THE INSURERS RIGHT AND WORK AS A DETERRENT TOO.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020
  20. OXO GIRL

20 1
    NOT POOR MANAGEMENT, SERVES ALSO AS A DETERRENT.

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 By: OXO GIRL Member since: Feb 14, 2020