Barclays.net, a warning

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by pentel, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pentel

pentel UKBF Regular Free Member

478 82
    Hi all,

We have over the last few months been "migrated" from Barclays internet banking (BIB) to Barclays.net. This is not something we requested but I did expect it go how most changes of software go these days, i.e well thought out, easier to use with better features, or at the very least no worse.

How wrong was I.

Firstly there are several pages of paperwork to fill out.

A system check follows which they will call you to do and you need to do it "now"

Then expect to spend 4 hours on the phone receiving "training" in lumps ... which has to be booked and the gaps between each session are so long that by the time you get to being able to do anything it will have been around 2 months since the first session..

The training involves you opening up your computer for the trainer to remotely see what you are doing, the name on the remote session does not match the person you are talking too... I was so concerned I rang Barclays to check that this was legitimate...

With 2 users the system seems to choose at random who is logged in...

Beneficiaries are not always transferred

Philippines "support" centre who work with scripts and have to call you back, good look if you are on the phone, they will try again... eventually

The software itself is so quirky that I originally thought we were some sort of beta trial site.

Most things take twice as many clicks to achieve than the Business internet banking we used to use.

The site itself is also slow and is down more often than BIB.

On BIB the opening screen has an star against accounts which need some action today, this is missing on Barclays.net which has meant that we have missed making some payments.

In all a very poor system with few redeeming features which I would not recommend, unlike Business internet banking which worked well.

In conclusion if you are thinking of changing to Barclays do not get lumbered with Barclays.net, either use their personal banking option (which is rather restrictive) or look elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 By: pentel Member since: Mar 12, 2011
  2. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,426 3,561
    Is that something foisted on you because of the level of your turnover increasing? Most of the banks have old systems which were originally intended for very large businesses. They are generally user unfriendly, and generally garbage compared with modern systems

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  3. pentel

478 82
    No, our turnover has in fact decreased.It seems that the plan is for all the BIB customers to be migrated to the "new" system.

4. David Griffiths

11,426 3,561
    Sounds like we might migrate to a new bank in that case!

But looking at the Barclays.net home page it seems that they think that normal online banking will do for most customers and only those with more complex needs, as listed, would move to .net

5. pentel

478 82
    Looks like we may have been railroaded into this change....

I have just looked at the Barclays.net home page and we definitely don't need any of the facilities mentioned....

It was presented as "we are moving all our customers who use BIB to Barclays.net" end of.

6. David Griffiths

11,426 3,561
    ask (or demand) to be moved back

7. Talay

Talay UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,857 806
    My Barclays business manager told me that they were migrating businesses with less than circa £400k in turnover onto some new platform and with telephone only "assistants" in the wilds of NE England.

It does not affect us but as one of our subsidiaries has a low turnover, they were somehow targeted for this demotion, now rescinded.

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  8. Tara Hawkins

Tara Hawkins UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    The system is absolutely dreadful to work with. I feel I am transported back to the early days of systems software. Poor function and design, poor use of terminology....e.g they do not use the word 'beneficiary' they use the word 'template', lots of examples like this, you don't know what the headings refer to. It smacks of a cheap development which has been foisted on business owners and worse, despite my constantly putting in an official complaint about the system via their godforsaken somewhere in the Far East call centre, have received no response. The top strata of Barclays could not care less, I am sure they are only concerned about their bonuses and expense accounts. Avoid this bank if you can.

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 By: Tara Hawkins Member since: Apr 25, 2017
  9. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,546 231
    WTF??? Time to get a new bank FAST.

This is just conditioning people to accept such requests in the future.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  10. Pat Walsh

Pat Walsh UKBF Contributor Free Member

55 18
    That sounds awful, worth highlighting to one of the newspaper business/financial columns and then moving to another bank asap.

A ridiculous move by Barclays, just when there are lots of new options on the market for business banking, including the digital only accounts just coming on the scene.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 By: Pat Walsh Member since: Apr 14, 2017
  11. Farmer A

Farmer A UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We were migrated in the same way as described above. We struggled for months, until I asked our branch how others were getting on- only to find out that there were only two of us on .net. I asked if the other customer was having problems - and yes they were!
    .net, utter disaster- we had a better system running 20 years ago with Natwest. This was not ill-thought out, it wasn't thought or tried at all.
    Next problem- any details of payments made on BIB are lost. This has caused havoc- and no payee details were transferred. WHO made this decision to migrate everyone?

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Farmer A Member since: Aug 25, 2017
  12. Talay

3,857 806
    I dumped .net without ever having used it and got all my costs back.

I also have it on good authority that most of the useful functionality of .net is being absorbed into a new general website offering at zero cost.

We wanted it for multiple payrolls without having to go through that blasted pin pad security nonsense each time.

I have no dates though ....... so don't hold me to anything :)

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  13. Ray Coole

Ray Coole UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Can't "migrate" because my computer is up to date! Running an iMac with the latest version of Apple software---Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3---spent forty minutes on the telephone trying to migrate before the team worked out that I couldn't migrate because I was using the latest version of software and the new Barclays Net software was incompatible with it. You couldn't make it up!!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Ray Coole Member since: Feb 14, 2018
  14. Talay

3,857 806
    Not quite.

Did you check to see if your migrating to the latest release would impact other aspects of your fanboy world ?

Answer = No

You see, outside the cosmos you live in, they have LTSP (long term servicing plans) which mean that software updates are not put into production willy nilly just in case the proverbial **** hits the fan.

Pity you didn't ask or test first.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: Talay Member since: Mar 12, 2012
  15. pentel

478 82
    Ray Coole... you should be thankful that you cant migrate.... Barclays.net is probably the worse online banking in existence.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: pentel Member since: Mar 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.