Anyone Used Rail Freight From China?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by JamieM, Apr 7, 2020.

1. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,324 350
    My supplier in China has given us a good quote for rail freight but I have never used it before.

Apparently it’s door to door so is there a risk of being stung with excessive customs brokerage charges?

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Free Member

5,658 1,343
    Be careful at the moment sending goods by train.

Normally it takes 45 days and entry into Europe is normally via Poland, then on to Germany, then on to UK. Given the lockdown much of Europe is experiencing, there is likely to be delays.

You also want to ensure how it's delivered DDP or DDU.

Make sure the figures are correct.

If you need any help, let me know.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,324 350
    I might give it a miss on this occasion as I can't afford further delays.

It was just because my FOB Yantian cost is looking excessive but I'd prefer a more reliable shipment.

Thanks for your advice.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
  4. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,488 581
    We looked into it a year ago and it just didn't work for us. Negligible cost savings and no real improvement in transit time so we stuck with the ocean freight.

Mister B

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  5. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    Hi Jamie. With air freight so expensive these days, and sea freight too slow for alot of applications, people are exploring and using alternatives. There are 2 others which spring to mind, Rail, which you have looked at, and Air-Sea. HOWEVER, the saving, when compared to airfreight, for air-sea isn't huge, and the transit times for rail freight are longer (Depending on origin), than sea freight. If you are not in an urgent need of the product, would definitely recommend using sea freight at this time. Cost wise, it's so much lower than other options.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,026 210
    i shold start by saying that i have no experience in this area.

I would have thought even sea freight will be slower right now because cargo ships dock at countries along the way and drop off containers.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  7. Red Wood

Red Wood UKBF Regular Free Member

656 74
    My experience is slightly different than the above. Sea freight is approx 30 days from the east coast of china, then usually 7 days waiting for a delivery date to our warehouse. We have used overland for FCL only, I'm not even sure LCL is possible by rail due to some operational constraints.

In our experience rail freight is slightly quicker and costing is slightly higher. However our rates might not be indicative to the general experience of others as we have relatively good volume so pricing likely reflects this.

Haven't had any reason not to use rail>truck routing, so don't be put off if you have a good rate.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014
  8. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

228 20
    Anyone using decent agents for air freight? We have a coupe of Chinese suppliers charging up to 35% value of the boxes, when other suppliers selling the same products and sending in the same box sizes are charging us 12% value of the box. They won't tell us who they use and won't manage the boxes from the suppliers that are charging us up to 35%. They all use EMS but when I go on the EMS website the prices are not good.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  9. RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE)

RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) UKBF Regular Free Member

228 20
    Any help for me?

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 By: RSR Fulfillment (FR & DE) Member since: Dec 8, 2017
  10. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Free Member

5,658 1,343
    Send me a PM with your requirements, or alternatively use the link in my signature below.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  11. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

739 137
    The rail freight option from China handles both FCL and LCL now. Whether it is cost effective or not will depend on the origin point of your shipment. I have LCL shipments sitting in my warehouse now that came in by rail without any major issues.

Posted: Apr 24, 2020 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  12. Asteads

Asteads UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Slightly different experience for me.

I've used rail shipping 3 times now, all with varying time frames. The most recent arrived at my door within 21 days.
    My first order last summer took 40 days. I've currently got a shipment in transit, sent 20 days ago and no UK notification yet.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 By: Asteads Member since: Apr 5, 2021
  13. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

200 34
    The other factor to consider when thinking about rail freight is the location of your supplier in China. Rail heads originates in either Wuhan or Xi'an so if your supplier is near there the savings in time cn be worthwhile, but if you have to ship from the South that adds further cost and time making the benefit over sea freight much less. We also have shipped FCL and LCL by rail - both are possible but you can't send hazardous cargo by rail at the moment.

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  14. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

85 8
    The logistics system in China is very mature. The main factors you need to consider is the freight rate and the expected time to reach the destination. Multi-modal transportation is very much the norm now.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020