Anyone Use Lead Forensics?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by altwebdesign, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altwebdesign

altwebdesign UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

830 114
    They contacted me a few weeks ago offering me a trial of their product, which I have just started and must say I am a little impressed.

Basically, you put some code on your website and what this does is 'backtrace' your visitors, you then login to your admin panel and the ones they have been able to source are listed, it shows the company name and pages they visited.....

This could be a good tool for following up people who are interested in the service/product you offer, that didnt contact you.... but of course could be abused and considered some form of spam or offensive.

Craig
    :)

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: altwebdesign Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  2. altwebdesign

830 114
    my main reason for making this post was to get peoples throughts on it..

you visit someones website, they trace you back and call you.... bit much or...?

Craig
    :)

3. 90DC

90DC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

791 152
    It is a bit snooty. Surely they can only do it by portscanning or something which could be malicious practice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: 90DC Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  4. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper UKBF Ace Free Member

1,561 348
    I wouldn't be happy to get a phone call from someone whose website I had been looking at but then I don't like cold calling.

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper Member since: Sep 14, 2009
  5. altwebdesign

830 114
    This what they told me:

"[FONT=&quot]All we are doing is tracking so we don't use or drop cookies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The tracking code that's applied to your site will do a reverse IP search and we will match the data manually or by our data base.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The information we are giving you is free domain info we only break a law if we gave you a person's name.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We can only match about 55% of the traffic from your site as we can't pick up dynamic or static IP which we wouldn't want to anyway.[/FONT]"

6. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

1,561 348
    So you just get the users IP and I assume fire off a request to their service with the IP, they write it to their database then attempt to determine who it was.

The value then is how difficult is it to match from the IP, how much time will it take and will it work on the type of visitors you get.

7. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,309 714
    Surely with that approach, they would only be able to trace users from corporate networks with their own IP range. Reverse lookups on the IPs of any other visitors would just return details of their ISP.

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  8. OfficeHounds

OfficeHounds UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 18
    Nobody likes to have their day interrupted by a phone call about something they aren't interested in.

People spend a lot of money on Adwords and other forms of marketing to increase website visitors, whether or not you like the follow up phone call add-on service, it's important to understand your visitors' user experience on your website. For example, analysing exit pages can identify a page that might need to be improved. The software is pretty cool even without the add-on service.

You're exactly right that people often don't like being called. The situation is a bit different when that website visitor was close to making a buying decision. To them, the phone call is a pleasant surprise and gives the impression that the company is organised and has good customer service processes in place. Also that engagement with a real person can help answer their questions or doubts about the company.

Personally, I think any company spending resources on driving traffic to their website whether it be money on Adwords or time on blogging/ Social Media should try to engage with each visitor as much as possible. . . but I'm biased as I provide the software and follow up service. :p

To call, or not to call: that is the question:

What do the rest of you think?

As a business owner, would you find it useful to have someone call and speak to your website vistiors?

As a website visitor, how would you feel if you received a follow up phone call after visiting a website?

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: OfficeHounds Member since: Apr 7, 2009
  9. HertsCCTV

HertsCCTV UKBF Newcomer Free Member

413 44
    I did a free trial with these guys too it was good.

My opinion is that I would not like to get a cold call.

I suppose there are pro's & con's to it.

The thing I found with it was yes it gave me the company & phone number that was on my site but what if it was a company with 50 people I call, the receptionist answers and I report that someone was on your website and I am just following up how she going to know who it was out of 49 people!

Posted: Mar 1, 2012 By: HertsCCTV Member since: Apr 22, 2010
  10. OfficeHounds

96 18
    Our software can identify any company, from anywhere, as long as they’re set up so that they can be identified. As mentioned, in the quote from Lead Forensics, only companies can be identified never individuals, and there's a percentage of companies where only the IP address is obtainable.

The company identification part of the software isn't of interest to people who sell B2C, but for B2B customers identifying a percentage of these companies can be really useful. Even if you choose not to call, the company name helps make the data more meaningful. For example it gets exciting when you see that Company X was looking at our Products Y & Z. They returned to the website 5 times in one week.

11. OfficeHounds

96 18
    You're quite right that receptionists won't be able to match you up with the person visiting the site. Let's use your company as an example. You receive your daily email update showing you a local hotel has visited your site. You check out the visitor path and see that they spent most of the time on site looking at your IP CCTV page. When you speak to the receptionist, you ask to speak to the person responsible for Hotel security. When they ask who is calling, you explain that you understand that someone from the Hotel was looking at the CCTV pages of your website, so you'd like to have a quick chat with the person in charge of Hotel Security.

Often times, a cold call will get blocked by a gate-keeper / receptionist. I've been a gate-keeper when working as a Personal Assistant for Directors. As a Personal Assistant, it was my job to protect my employer's time. Hearing that someone was searching on the website gives the gate-keeper reassurance that the call might be of interest. Even if you don't speak to the exact person who viewed the website, you're now speaking to the decision maker for a company who is likely to need their CCTV system replaced. That is much more targeted than cold calling.

Another really effective approach is to use the receptionist to your advantage. When the receptionist answers, explain that someone from the company was looking at CCTV on your website. Ask the receptionist for the email address of the person in charge of Hotel Security, so you can email them some additional information. Now you can drip feed them tailored information in an email marketing campaign.

Some of these calls may go nowhere, but with the right strategy, they can support the sales process and help conversion.

(As consumers, we think, yuck, I don't want to visit a website and end up having to climb out of somebody's sales funnel! As business people, we need to get as many people sliding down that sales funnel as possible.)

12. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

1,561 348
    Does it require manual/human filtering to determine which results are genuine and which results are ISPs?

13. OfficeHounds

96 18
    It's done for you by humans.

14. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

1,561 348
    I guess it has to be, you start to automate it though with known valid/invalid ip lists then have an admin system to only show the ips it hasn't seen before.

I've just written my own tracker with database, I will give it a try on my site and see if it works.

15. OfficeHounds

96 18
    Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Posted: Mar 2, 2012 By: OfficeHounds Member since: Apr 7, 2009
  16. astutiumRob

astutiumRob UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,315 241
    So basically whois, reverse-ip lookup, traceroute and going to the ip on common ports to see what responds...

Posted: Mar 3, 2012 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
  17. JDX_John

JDX_John UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,075 125
    If you sell to business, that's a good thing. Although, how big does a business typically have to be before they would show up? Or, if I use a regular ISP but have a fixed IP, does that allow the tool to identify me somehow?

I think it's an interesting tool, for me less as a direct sales tool but a way to see if my website is being viewed by the kind of demographic I'm interested in.

Posted: Mar 4, 2012 By: JDX_John Member since: Mar 26, 2009
  18. OfficeHounds

96 18
    A1Webstats is considerably less expensive than many of the competitors and has similar features.

Posted: Mar 5, 2012 By: OfficeHounds Member since: Apr 7, 2009
  19. WorksIQ

WorksIQ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    Google Analytics will provide similar information and for most people it’s free. Here’s how:

Login to Google Analytics and click on Standard Reporting at the top. Then click on Audience on the left hand side, then expand Technology then click on Network. Choose a date range in the top right hand corner (e.g. Yesterday) to keep the results manageable. Then review the list of Service Providers at the bottom of the report (you made need to change the Show Rows drop down at the bottom of the page to see them all).

If you sell to universities, public sector, SMEs or technology companies then you’ll probably recognise many of the visitors to your website. You can tidy up the data by clicking on “advanced” and setting filters such as “Excluding Service Provider Containing ntl”. You could also click on Email to send yourself a daily report.

If you have a dedicated telemarketing resource then I can see how this could be used to cold call and hunt around for new leads or additional influencers within an account however it’s all a bit too hit and miss for my liking. When designing the Sales Module for WorksIQ we focused on tracking the activities of real, known contacts so you can be alerted in real time when existing contacts are showing interest in your products again.

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: WorksIQ Member since: Jun 7, 2012
  20. Andy Harris

Andy Harris UKBF Contributor Full Member

58 8
    Yes, that's an answer that is free and provides a basic level of data but there's little value in knowing just a company name - you need to know what they searched for, which pages they looked at, how long they were on each page etc. etc.

'Free' is a dangerous word when you work out how much time it takes to fiddle with things like Google Analytics to end up with a result that's not what it needs to be.

The providers like lead forensics, a1webstats, wow, etc. all have different pricing/functionality and will appeal to different people - the key point is that they're there because Google Analytics isn't man enough to do the job properly when it comes to digging deep into visitors data - particularly visiting companies. In my view it comes down to a decision on what people's time is worth and what they want to gain out of analytics.

Don't get me wrong - Google Analytics is fantastic for many things but not in this particular case. Google Analytics should ideally be used in combination with products from alternative analytics providers to get the best of all worlds.

Just my tuppence worth!

Posted: Jun 12, 2012 By: Andy Harris Member since: Oct 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.