working from home doing bookkeeping

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by donna, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frauke

frauke UKBF Regular Free Member

398 52
    I took this off the HMRC Website:

"If you are an Accountancy Service Provider then the Money Laundering Regulations 2007 will affect you. The new Regulations come into force on 15 December this year.
    What is an Accountancy Service Provider?

Accountancy Service Providers (ASPs) is the term used by HMRC for auditors(a), external accountants(b) and tax advisers(c) who are not already supervised by the FSA or one of the professional bodies listed in the Regulations.

1. An auditor is any person eligible for appointment as a company auditor under section 25 of the Companies Act 1989(a) or article 28 of the Companies (Northern Ireland) Order 1991(b) who by way of business provides audit services.
    2. An accountant is any person who by way of business provides accountancy services.
    3. A tax adviser is any person who by way of business provides advice about the tax affairs of another person.
    If you provide bookkeeping services you come under b - (I got told by a bookkeeper that they weren't an accountant - but b, classes bookkeepers as accountants as they provide accountancy services as accountancy services includes bookkeeping!)"

If you provide bookkeeping services after 15 December 2007, and are not regulated under this act by one of the professional bodies (IAB is just one of the many), then you have to register (and pay a fee) with the HMRC to be regulated by them. There will be a transitional period of a couple of months, because I don't think the HMRC is ready yet to accept direct registration!

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 By: frauke Member since: Jul 13, 2007
  2. hafeez

hafeez UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    thanks for that frauke,
    i will also look into this further, and become registered before the deadline.
    thanks again

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 By: hafeez Member since: Oct 7, 2007
  3. JenMAAT(hopefullysoon)

JenMAAT(hopefullysoon) UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I am in the process of becoming a member of the IAB and getting a compliance certificate. Would I be breaking any rules if I started trading now obviously by the sound of things I would have to be registered by the 15th December but from whats being said it doesn't mean that I can start now or does it? Also can I offer tax return services I am quite confident in completing them and I am sitting the personal tax AAT Exam in December is there any reason why I shouldn't:|

Regards

Posted: Oct 21, 2007 By: JenMAAT(hopefullysoon) Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  4. geoff fatkin

geoff fatkin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 0
    Hi all,
    I have just been made redundant and am going to do a sage course and/or another bookkeeping course. Then because of my home circumstances I want to work from home, is there work out there in the real world for self employed bookkeepers. I live in a large village with a lot of small businesses and self employed builders etc. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
    Thanks Geoff

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 By: geoff fatkin Member since: Feb 4, 2008
  5. Fernhurst Solutions Ltd

Fernhurst Solutions Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member

1,152 124
    in a word - YES, how you go about getting that business is a whole different can of worms ..... plenty of threads on here about it.

good luck :)

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 By: Fernhurst Solutions Ltd Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  6. DavidT

DavidT UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 113
    Geoff

As Andy said, there is a lot already on here and it can big a big 'can of worms'.

The work is certainly out there, experience will count a lot and make a difference so you may need to ensure you do understand practical bookkeeping as your clients will rely on you for it.

Best of luck.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 By: DavidT Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  7. Jenni384

Jenni384 UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,860 1,542
    AAt student member rules say you can practice within your capabilites as long as you get help and advice when you need it.

Also as I understand it, HMRC are formally registering people later this year, so you can trade as an accountancy service provider, you have to comply with the new MLR, but there is not compulsory registration just yet.

Posted: Feb 4, 2008 By: Jenni384 Member since: Oct 1, 2007
  8. JenMAAT(hopefullysoon)

JenMAAT(hopefullysoon) UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Thanks for that Jenni

I am looking at accounts software packages at the moment can anyone make any recommendations?

Regards

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 By: JenMAAT(hopefullysoon) Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  9. DFL

DFL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,026 334
    What is your criteria?

Posted: Feb 5, 2008 By: DFL Member since: Aug 21, 2007
  10. DavidT

DavidT UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 113
    Working with several & varied clients, being able to recommend general accounting software for them that you can easily work with we would highly recommend e-conomic.

Apart from power & flexibility of online software, there are no charges to bookkeepers/accountants... only to clients if & when they choose it, so it is an easy solution to consider without needing to fork out hard earned money.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 By: DavidT Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  11. LOUBELOUUK1

LOUBELOUUK1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

223 14
    Hi

Im using some software called Money Manager 6 Business Edition by Moneysoft and it is really good, I am very impressed. Still learning lots of things on it but it seems to do what i want at the moment.
    I also use sage instant accounts, abit pricer but i suppose it depends on what you are used to and what your client sometimes requires.

:)

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 By: LOUBELOUUK1 Member since: Aug 20, 2007
  12. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,357 1,582
    HI

If you are offering services online, and gain clients who are not local to you, then we can arrange for a parcel service to pick up from them, and deliver to you, a box weighing up to 20kg, for £11.50. If you think this could help you, please let me know.

Kind regards
    Sandra

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  13. dhawall

dhawall UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi Clarence

Can you elaborate on the charging part: based on transactions?

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 By: dhawall Member since: Feb 7, 2008
  14. Tori Howarth

Tori Howarth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello everyone. New to this forum. But me too. Im very new at the Bookkeeping field and yes me too, i am working from home doing books. I am a mum of three and really wanted to be based at home. I'm looking for help and advice also so i will read all your stuff for help. I've got two potential clients but ive been doing some local advertising and some stuff on the net too.
    Now i don't feel on my own knowing there are you guys out there looking for help and advice too!!!

I'm 33 and this field is a real corner turner for me. I really want a business of my own that's actually going to pay me a salary. We need to move home as my family is growing up fast so we need to be a big success with this venture.:rolleyes:

Posted: Jul 14, 2008 By: Tori Howarth Member since: Jul 14, 2008
  15. cevans34

cevans34 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

37 1
    Wow you certainly got a lot of replies ! Back to Donnas original post,
    hello I too am just starting out a bookkeeping business. Like many others wanted to work from home (which I see isn't too far from yourself). As this is a new career path for me I decided to get some qualifications under my belt. I went the ICB route and now hold a ICB practising certificate.

Good luck :)

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 By: cevans34 Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  16. joined up thinking

joined up thinking UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    When I quit my last job I decided I wanted to create a business where I could work from home or anywhere I chose. I have a technology and business background and I turned to the Internet for ideas. There are a lot of “work from home” and “get rid of your day job” schemes and opportunities out there. A lot of them are empty promises and even the genuine and responsible ones carry “earnings disclaimers” (We could discuss this all day).

Anyway, I have three kids, a house and a home to support. And like most folks I need a regular, reliable and honest income. Working for yourself has a few gotcha’s, the obvious one being if you take time off you don’t get paid, unless of course you are on some form of retainer. Another is just finding the right clients and type of work.

So what’s my point? My business has just started trading and I have worked out I need some help from reliable bookkeepers (or accountants) who want to work from home and earn a regular and reliable income or even grow their existing earnings with the same.

I have spent quite a bit of time over the past few months thinking about this. I have some conclusions. The first is that it’s ethical and pretty conventional. Secondly it’s a win, win for everyone involved, third the numbers are modest, fourth it’s entirely possible that it would work and finally it’s not a lot of extra effort.

I will be honest with you it’s a very straightforward idea but I just don’t know enough bookkeepers (or accountants) to use as a sounding board and confirm my assumptions.

So here is the bottom line, I need to sound out my idea. In an ideal world I would do it on these pages, but I have had a few bad experiences with being very open in forums like these.

So please contact me with a private message. This is absolutely not me trying to sell you something. In fact thinking about it for a moment, there is nothing for you to buy. I will give you my phone number or you can give me yours and we can hook up. I will just tell and show you my idea and get your feedback and suggestions. This should take about ten minutes. I want to talk to as many folk as I can over the next few days to determine the next step. I will share the feedback with everyone who has been kind enough to help.

If you help me, like the idea and I make it happen. You get first look at the proposition before I offer it to a wider audience.

One more thing, I am ready to talk to anyone but I am especially interested in talking to folks who have clients that employ five or more people. If the employers are in the services business, even better. But don't let this put you off as its not essential.

That’s it! Thank you for reading and I really look forward to talking to you

Cheers

Nick

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 By: joined up thinking Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  17. JagNut

JagNut UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Absolutely, an accountancy firm will only provide what you ask them for (and many don't know what to ask for). A bookkeeper will tell you what they need (what you need to do) and help you administer the business going forward.
    I make a very comfortable living sweeping up after "so called" qualified accountants. Many are just theoreticians and have no clue how to run a business and what accounts are required to help you make sensible decisions. They love audit - because they only need theory - they work for HMRC but bill you - it also gives them a get out clause -just read the Auditor's statement on any set of audited accounts :)

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 By: JagNut Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  18. 02118218

02118218 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi Guys, this forum is GREAT! i am starting out bookeeping part-time as i need sum extra income. i have a full-time job as a trainee accountant (i am part-qulified ACCA).
    reading this forum has determined me more to start the part time bookkeeping thing!
    i am in the process of creating a flyer and will be distributing them locally soon.

good luck to all of you who are thinking of and are starting bookkeeping!

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 By: 02118218 Member since: Jul 14, 2008
  19. colleenb

colleenb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi All, I'm Colleen and have been in the accounts industry for around 3 years now. Started at college with the manual bookkeeping level 1 & 2 and then went on to do the AAT Intermediate level 3 but have only completed and passed half the course as have had to work full time with family to support. I am now Assistant Accountant because of my business attitude of this industry for a medium size company but feel as though I'm missing to much of my son's growing up. My partner also works full time on night shifts so we don't really have any time together. I have (Although had to leave it aside at the moment) paid on a monthly basis for the ICB Sage computerised bookkeepers course as I'd to like work from home by next year. This would give me the flexibility to be more with my family and my partner to do better hours during the day. I love this type of job as many call me weired but I also like the investigation side of it. Anyway if there is anyone who is doing or has completed this ICB Sage computerised bookkeepers course please advise me if I have made the right choice. I know my job role is a good one but not feel as though I'm helping enough as I like to also problem solve and give good advise. I also probably do many job roles not in my title!

With the online accountancy this does sound a great idea. May be many of us here could make something like this happen even if we live on the other side of the country!! This would be a great new opportunity for business for costing also. Let me know if you need an extra hand and I also have websites that I could have set up!!

Anyway I'm probably starting to bore you all now as you have probably heard all this before. Good luck everyone!! =0)

Posted: Sep 12, 2008 By: colleenb Member since: Sep 12, 2008
  20. Solutions

Solutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi to everyone. I'm new to this business form and would really appreciate some advise as to how to go about setting up my own business working from home as a bookkeeper.

My background is in accountancy both academically and practically. I have a bachelors degree in accountancy and finance (going back some time now) and have part of the qualifications from ACCA. However due to family commitments my career never took off ( I have four wonderful children). I want to have something to do for myself and bookkeeping is an area that has always caught my interest. I have recently gained my ICB computerised bookkeeping certificate level 3 and I am also studying for the ACCA qualifications.

Please can someone give me some advise as to how I start my own business from scratch? Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Posted: Nov 11, 2008 By: Solutions Member since: Nov 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.