International Business Brought to you by RationalFX

Where to register a new business, UK, US or Canada or Ireland

Discussion in 'International Business' started by TaraCauc, Dec 23, 2017.

1. TaraCauc

TaraCauc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Looking for some advice, or a point in the direction of what to read to get started.

I'm currently employed in a senior role in marketing, but would like to start a small business in cosmetics in the new year. I've worked with a chemist to develop a new hair product. I would like to sell this product via our website and through Amazon, perhaps a few other online retailers as well.

I expect most of the customers will be in the US.

I have found two manufacturers who can produce this product. One in the US and one in the UK.

I am thinking it would be best to have the product produced in the US and have most of the sales dropship from amazon. Would this be the best idea?

If so where would the most ideal place set up the business be?

In the UK where I live now?
    In the US where the product would be manufactured
    I also have Canadian and Irish citizenship and plan on moving back to toronto next year.

Any guidance would be great.

Posted: Dec 23, 2017 By: TaraCauc Member since: Dec 23, 2017
  2. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

I would focus on the money.

- Who will be paying you?
    - Where are they based?
    - Where are you selling to?
    - Where is the money coming from (jurisidisction)?
    - Where do I want the money to go to?
    - What are the local corporate taxes?

You can set up anywhere but a trustworthy bank may not give you a business account if they don't like your legal setup.

Maybe ask a banker or an accountant who's set up these sort of things before.

My 2p.
    Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  3. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

If you plan to move back to Canada, I'd suggest you setup your company in Canada. It's easy for a Canadian company to sell in USA.
    Posted: Jan 17, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

Yes - think long term - it will be a problem to prepare and file accounts if you are not in the country of residence, I am think of signing accounts / posting / meeting your accountant etc. I would wait until you move though, if it is only a year away hang on, you can always trade as a sole trader meanwhile.
    Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

Just remember the requirements to be able to sell your products and even the labelling required will be different in different parts of the world.
    You could end up with different bottles for US and EU. With maybe at some point different again for UK. :)
    Posted: Feb 24, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Lebar.123

Lebar.123 UKBF Contributor Free Member

You can set up your company in Canada and after to sell in the US, UK, also Canada. Is it the simple way.
    Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: Lebar.123 Member since: Nov 15, 2017
  7. UACU

UACU UKBF Contributor Full Member

If you are planning to open a business in the uk then you need to contact with company house
    Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: UACU Member since: Jun 2, 2017
  8. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

Go to companies house direct they charge £15 only.
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  9. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Well you can and might need to set up a legal presence in all the places you are selling

As always in business it all depends

So if you are selling a very small lightweight product for high value - think as an exaggeration a £500 credit card sized item
    Then the daftness of the way it works is that if you post it abroad it is an export and so in UK terms not subject to VAT
    I do not know the tax laws of the USA but they might be the same
    In which case you are better in both cases to be exporting the product and send from the USA to the UK and from the UK to the USA

But then if it is a cheaper and bulkier product and with delivery speed as the essence then you want to be shipping UK to UK and USA to USA etc

What you should bear in mind is that the USA market is massive compared with the UK
    But the UK gives you simple access to the EU - er but Brexit

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  10. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Regular Free Member

USA is going to be the biggest market for you, so makes sense to base the manufacturing there.

On a purely psychological basis, if you base yourself in the UK, you're going to try and develop your local market first, which would be a mistake, because you won't grow as fast as if you focus solely on the US market.

The FDA is fairly hot on checking imports of cosmetics, but locally produced ones fly under the radar.

You don't have to pay import duties on cosmetics to the USA and as you don't have a tax nexus in any US states, you wouldn't have to pay any state taxes (although if you are using Amazon FBA you may end up having to pay state taxes as you get bigger due to the location of their DCs).

However, it is still easier to ship domestically than internationally, especially if you are new to this.

If you plan to sell products in the UK / Europe you need to be compliant with the EU Cosmetics Directive. If you sell in Canada, you need to register with Health Canada and have someone local to sign off. For USA, you need to do VCRP - the V stands for voluntary, but the FDA uses it.

As to where you set-up your company, you're best bet is to do it in the UK while you are in the UK - to get bank accounts, PayPal and other services set-up easily. There's no reason why you need a USA company if you are based in the UK, even if manufacturing is in the US.

Just because you start in the UK, doesn't mean you can't set-up branches or subsidiaries in other countries if you want to. You can set-up new companies as you move and it is straightforward to close down a UK company if you no longer need it.
    Posted: Mar 18, 2018 at 11:38 PM By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009