Where to go after Magento?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by sweetshop, May 16, 2019.

1. sweetshop

sweetshop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    I have a magento website which is coming to the end of its life. My developer has suggested a bespoke woo commerce website costing min £10k.

Part of my issue with magento is that I was reliant on my developers to fix everything for me as I do not have the skills or the time to do it myself.

I have 4000 SKUs, largely simple products but some digital downloads, configurable products and bundle products.

I'm prepared to spend maybe £5k on a new website and would prefer something a bit easier to use than magento. Where are others moving to after magento? I have been looking at shopify but on first look I may have to sacrifice some the functionality for a more user friendly product?

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: sweetshop Member since: Mar 28, 2014
  2. livingthedreamok

livingthedreamok UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 0
    £10k for a woocommerce store is excessive, but certainly recommend getting away from Magento

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: livingthedreamok Member since: Feb 11, 2019
  3. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

225 38
    I also think 10k is rather excessive for a woocommerce store, but i guess it depends on what customization you needed which you didnt specify above? However I would not recommend woocommerce for a large store (above a few hundred products).

We use OpenCart which is a very friendly ecommerce specific system, with everything you could imagine you would need, and as a bonus it is highly configurable and developer friendly.

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  4. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,017 210
    What is he smoking?

He wants to use WooCommerce which is the easiest thing to use and then charge you £10k for it?

An absolute wally could setup and configure WooCommerce for you then its just visuals and UI.

More importantly, WooCommerce is just an extension of WordPress turning it from a blog to an eCommerce platform - it doesn't mean its any good.

You'd be better off with Shopify - they've actually tested and checkout process and you can get very high conversion rates if done properly.

You need to focus on doing what you do, selling stuff - leave the rest to Shopify.

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  5. WebDesires

225 38
    Shopify is not a good idea if you want to be serious about ecommerce, you can only modify it and personalize it to the limits provided, nothing custom can be done code wise and you have to pay constantly for it. You don't OWN the system or the CODE and list goes on.

I'm sure its good if you don't need much and don't have competition and etc.

Using developers and a system that is specifically modified to your needs is much better, you then have full access to your "asset", you own your site and its data and its code and any personalisation and modification you need as you grow larger can be achieved. Not to mention all the SEO, usability and etc that you can modify as and when needed. The internet is moving very fast these days with schema, optimizations and site structure, AI etc. I wouldn't recommend anyone such a basic developer-less platform.

6. billybob99

1,017 210
    That's right, because none of the brands on there are serious about ecommerce, they're just there for a laugh.

OP you should check out https://www.shopify.co.uk/plus/customers/gymshark

No doubt this is a business forum and everyone has their own agenda to sell you on what they provide.

Without knowing what you sell exactly makes it difficult.

You've already made a mistake choosing Magento but you don't want to make a bigger mistake.

If you want a hands-off, scalable approach Shopify might be the best solution.

If you want something truly bespoke (can't image you do as your current dev has suggested WooCommerce for a start) then you need to go down that route.

7. WebDesires

225 38
    this is shopify PLUS... not standard shopify, they are probably paying thousands for development/support and etc. Just looking for a quote and its a callback form so this is not the same as the standard shopify...

8. Chris Elwood

Chris Elwood UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    We have recently started suggesting clients considering Magento look to Shopify as it offers a really stable platform and it seems to be where all the big players are going to.

There are loads of really well-reviewed plugins available to cover almost any aspect that it doesn't do out the box. Also with a fully hosted platform, there are no server issues to worry about or any updates to plugins or themes. For what it costs as an initial setup and ongoing fee I think that it is excellent value for money.

Also, the in-house Shopify support has been very responsive for issues we have been unable to resolve quickly. I'd be happy to have a chat about your project and show you some examples just drop me a message and we can sort something out informally.

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: Chris Elwood Member since: Jul 16, 2015
  9. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic UKBF Regular Full Member

323 140
    I agree that Shopify is the way to go these days. Magento has always been a challenge in my experience. It's overly complex and time-consuming to manage.

As @Chris Elwood says, lightening quick servers on Shopify are a huge benefit and, because it's hosted, it's uptime is pretty much 100%. Well, I've never know a Shopify site to go down.

The other thing I like about Shopify is its simplicity. Everything is quick and easy.

Even a fluffy marketer (like me) can use it. :)

Finally, last but not least. Shopify is built for mobile. Something Magento theme were never very good at unless they were custom-built.

Shopify just works. I love it. (no affiliation by the way)

Posted: May 16, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
  10. billybob99

1,017 210
    This.

Also the abandoned cart recovery is a very nifty feature.

Nowadays people are spending more time updating themes, plugins and fixing other random issues instead of focusing on doing what they should be doing - marketing and selling stuff.

11. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,344 575
    £10k for a Woocommerce store is a very cheeky estimate and very much overpriced. I agree the need to get away from Magento is needed as it is complicated and expensive to maintain. If you are looking for a simple platform that you cannot customise easily then Shopify is your answer. If you are looking for a platform that you can customise easily then OpenCart is your answer. Hope that helps. Alex

Posted: May 17, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  12. Helpful Johnny

Helpful Johnny UKBF Contributor Free Member

86 15
    This x 1000% I'm finding more and more people are putting value on their time not on cost..

Posted: May 17, 2019 By: Helpful Johnny Member since: Dec 28, 2018
  13. makeusawebsite

makeusawebsite UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,096 249
    One of the main issues with Magento from a client perspective is it's complexity. This leads to 3 main issues;
    • Can be complex to manage day to day
    • Expensive to develop due to the complexity
    • Expensive to host
    Don't get me wrong; Magento is an absolutely incredible platform. You can run a million SKUs off a site and it won't blink.

Cost wise, if we develop a truly bespoke Magento website, i.e custom theme development, with a completely blank canvas design, it is a real struggle to get the project below £10k.

With Wordpress/Woo we can do the same for half the cost, and often much less. It isn't as powerful a platform, but we are yet to develop a Woo site which has hit any barriers down to scalability and speed. From a day to day management point of view, it couldn't really be much easier.

It's worth also checking the recent news regards Google Shopping, as I can definitely see store owner's visitor numbers dropping, as users checkout without even leaving Google.

We have started contacting our Magento customers to get the ball rolling on upgrades or migrations. Your definitely right to start thinking about it now.

Posted: May 17, 2019 By: makeusawebsite Member since: Jan 23, 2011
  14. Markmiller1

Markmiller1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    10K for Woocommerce store, really? this way too much! I don't know how this amount came up in his mind, anyway, I will suggest you to go with Opencart, I think it would be the best option amount the rest of two [Shopify & Woocommerce]

Posted: May 18, 2019 By: Markmiller1 Member since: Feb 12, 2019
  15. sweetshop

sweetshop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Thanks for your responses they are really appreciated.

I suspected £10k was an absolute joke, one of the benefits of moving platforms is that I will no longer be dealing with these guys they have unhelpful from handover.

I will take a more indepth look at open cart, I presume it still requires external hosting?

Is it easy to transfer product listings etc from Magento?

Truthfully I am looking for an easy option which will require minimum setup input from me. I have recently had a baby and the business was coasting along beautifully until I was notified my website was essentially about to die. The thought of starting again from scratch fills me with horror as it was a painful labour intensive process the first time around and I don't have the time to do it again at this stage of my life.

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: sweetshop Member since: Mar 28, 2014
  16. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,392 605
    I'm currently installing a Prestashop site on my Jack Jones .... it's all going without a hitch ..no monthly sub (other than your webhost) ...large user community...plenty of add-ons (& from recollection it was recently deemed one of the fastest growing cart sites)...there was even an app to migrate from opencart (only cost £60) so there's probably an app to help you migrate from Magento.

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  17. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,344 575
    It does require external hosting but there are lots of OpenCart hosting companies out there, including ourselves ;)

Changing platforms is always fiddly but not as bad as you may think. I wouldn't say you would be starting from scratch which I sure is pleasing to hear. Alex

Posted: May 20, 2019 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  18. bharris

bharris UKBF Regular Free Member

540 81
    Out of interest what made you decide to change from Opencart and move to Prestashop?

I am currently looking at going from Magento to Opencart. I actually found Magento to be great and actually quite easy to get it to do what it wanted (just took some time to understand how it goes together). The reason to change is the (once free) high module fees many now needing a yearly licence for version 2 and the relative high hosting cost. OpenCart for all my sites is under £10 per month.

Posted: May 20, 2019 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014
  19. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,392 605
    I like to do things myself...but I'm not a code head - what I found was when I hit a problem on Opencart, (where the userbase is relatively small, therefore the forum isn't massive), that ...

1. Perhaps nobody else had experienced it
    2. They'd experienced it, but the resolution made the space hubble telescope service manual look like a quick read.
    3. Silence.

None of those are a good place to be when your website is on its arse.

I also took umbrage to the way the Opencart Owner strutted around & patronised his users (perhaps he doesn't do this anymore, but it used to be that his first line of defence used to be attack...and it invariably saw him essentially castigate the person raising an issue as a pleb)

...whereas the Prestashop community in comparison is vast....I now always go vanilla with my cart deployment, so if I'm hitting a problem, someone somewhere will surely have hit the same problem & - bearing in mind the depth of the userbase - there'll likely be a resolution.

Some stats here...

https://trends.builtwith.com/shop/PrestaShop/Market-Share

Posted: May 20, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  20. bharris

bharris UKBF Regular Free Member

540 81
    Haven't had too many problems so far when playing with Opencart, the biggest issue on the help forums i found was that many of the "how to do" guides are for old versions. My first try on Opencart is for quite a straightforward eCommerce site so perhaps i need to have another look before i try and move a more complected one to it.

Posted: May 20, 2019 By: bharris Member since: Dec 30, 2014