When do independents buy summer stock?

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Donna77, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 11
    Hi,
    I'm planning to start a small wholesale business importing women's adventure sandals from Thailand. My target market will be independent high street boutiques and footwear shops, whilst also selling at full retail price on Amazon until the business grows. I would really appreciate some advice from forum retailers on when they place orders for spring/summer and how they connect with wholesalers. I'm considering taking a small stand at Moda at some point, but am not sure if an Autumn trade show is too early and the February show too late. Any advice on which trade shows retailers recommend and which online wholesale directories they use would be much appreciated.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,714 833
    We have already committed to most of our summer stock, although a few orders are still to be placed. As a broad brush rule, we are ordering 6 months in advance.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  3. The Wholesaler

The Wholesaler UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

163 32
    If you have stock in the country already or at least samples you should be alright to get some sale for this summer.

What are your winter lines going to be? Or are you intending to rely on one seasonal line?

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: The Wholesaler Member since: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 11
    Thank you for both replies. Yes, I'll have stock in the UK from early March and will try to pick up some late sales. I'll start with just this line of sandals first, as I'm pretty passionate about them and they're fresh to the UK market. I hope to source more products later but may stay in the spring/summer fashion for travel area. I'm a buyer in my day job for furniture and lighting but am new to fashion retail - so on a steep learning curve.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,100 1,702
    We order summer clothes in July for delivery in January but I think shoes are scheduled a month or so later.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. Unshoesual

Unshoesual UKBF Newcomer Free Member

38 10
    We're going buying in a few weeks for our winter stock (with a September / October delivery) Then August Moda will be summer stock (with a February / March delivery)

When we opened, we needed to pick up mid season stock so attended the August show but needed winter stock.

Even though I ordered all my SS stuff last August, some of it didn't make it to production so I need to find a few extra bits whilst I'm there on the 16th. I know some suppliers carry stock all year round and others will only be exhibiting SS as they don't work on forward orders.

So in answer to your original question, the August show is probably the best one for you as that's when everyone is in 'SS buying mode' but if you can afford to do the February one too next year, might be worth thinking about.

Good luck

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 By: Unshoesual Member since: Jul 19, 2013
  7. accountsandlegal

accountsandlegal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

36 3
    When forward ordering (buying your stock in advance of the season) it is generally 6 months before. When buying for A/W you place orders in Jan, Feb and March, when buying for S/S you place orders Aug, Sept and Oct. Buyers can order in season though i.e. buying from stock that is already available, this is fast fashion retail and is normally trend led. You will have to decide which works best for you.

<removed self promo>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    Posted: Feb 3, 2014 By: accountsandlegal Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  8. Twoscoops

Twoscoops UKBF Regular Free Member

122 23
    My business is a food/gift retail outlet so quite different, but it doesn't matter what time of year it is, if the product, price and margin are right I will take it!

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 By: Twoscoops Member since: Nov 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.