What bills you would expect to pay when opening a small retail shop?

Discussion in 'Retail' started by 2012, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    I was wondering What bills you would expect to pay when opening a small retail shop?

I have listed a few, am i missing any ?

Rent
    Rates
    Repair
    Insurance
    Water
    Electricity/Gas
    Phone/Broadband
    Stock
    Staff

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  2. kelvin1950

kelvin1950 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,226 398
    Waste disposal
    Advertising
    Consumables (stuff like toilet rolls, coffee, milk, sugar, soap etc.)
    PDQ machine rental
    Bank charges
    Accountants fees
    Website costs

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 By: kelvin1950 Member since: Jul 19, 2011
  3. 2012

2012 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

710 18
    thanks i did not even consider some of them things, will there be any taxes to pay ?

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 By: 2012 Member since: Sep 22, 2010
  4. PDRD

PDRD UKBF Regular Full Member

455 75
    Decorating
    Signage
    Furniture

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 By: PDRD Member since: Sep 13, 2012
  5. kelvin1950

kelvin1950 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,226 398
    Corporation tax once you're making a profit.
    VAT once you go over the threshold (c£77k this year).
    PAYE and NIC for your staff if you pay them over the thresholds.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 By: kelvin1950 Member since: Jul 19, 2011
  6. fairdealworld

fairdealworld UKBF Regular Free Member

443 182
    My list would be:

rent (or mortgage payments);

buildings insurance if you own the building;

buildings insurance very probably if you don't own the building - in many business premises lease agreements the leaseholder is responsible for buildings insurance for the building or their part of the building, this is normally paid by the landlord and then re-claimed from the tenant;

insurance of stock, public liability, employer's liability, etc;

rates;

waste collection* + you will have to budget for occasional disposal of things which can't be fitted in your sacks/ bin or which should not go in the bin;

installation of alarm system if you are going to have one + maintenance + monitoring if you are going to have a monitored alarm;

other security measures e.g. shutters, locks and any maintenance;

fire extinguishers and yearly maintenance;

business vehicle? Depends so much on the type of shop but if you will be collecting from places like Costco you need a big enough vehicle, parking costs if you need a vehicle and don't have your own parking space;

electricity, water, sometimes gas;

staff wages, NI, et, cost of someone doing payroll if you don't do it yourself;

other costs associated with staff e.g. uniform or protective clothing, somewhere to hang clothing and store bags and such;

factor in pest control 'just in case' N.B. If a pencil will fit through a gap e.g. under a door that is big enough for a mouse to get in;

cleaning including windows - cost for someone to do it, or cost of materials/equipment if self or staff do it;

rent of cash register if renting;

ditto card machine + ongoing costs such as the fee or percentage of each transaction taken by your supplier + cost of PCI compliance;

phone/broadband;

till and card machine rolls, paper bags, carrier bags, price tickets, tags for tagger guns, printer ink, printer paper, paper pads, envelopes, stamps, pens, pencils, marker pens, gold and silver writing pens and don't forget toilet roll, disinfectant/toilet cleaner, new washers for the taps and labour if you don't DIY. Maybe you'll want kitchen roll for quick mop ups in the shop? Cleaning cloths, tea towels etc have to be washed and replaced from time to time, sets of keys if you entrust them to one or more members of staff, bags for the vacuum;

milk? tea? coffee? sugar? Like many small employers I provide staff (and myself obviously) with the basic facilities of small refrigerator, microwave and toaster plus a few plates, bowls, knives, forks and spoons. They can also drink for free all the tea, coffee, drinking chocolate, or choice of a couple of cordials, that they can be bothered to make. Oddly enough the provision of free drinks is a highly regarded perk by employees and the cost to the employer is quite modest. It also gets rid of the wretched business of staff pooling funds to buy tea and coffee and milk supplies and the often remarkable amount of time taken up by organising this and the friction created by slow payers...

some items which might not sound like consumables actually are. For example electric kettles from all price ranges seem to have a strictly limited life span especially when being used by several people. At one time I had no water heater in my shop and I was always replacing the kettle because we were also using it to heat all the water for cleaning the shop and washing up the mugs.

Posted: Oct 14, 2012 By: fairdealworld Member since: Sep 17, 2011
  7. Stuart Bailey

Stuart Bailey UKBF Regular Full Member

379 76
    Dont forget legal fees for completing the lease.

You may not need an accountant, a bookkeeper may be sufficient for the time being although you will need to complete your self assessment forms. If you're setting up a company you will need to pay for that and the cost for completing the annual returns.

Also with some leases if you share a building with other tenants you will have to pay a service charge.

Faidealworld's list is good, dont forget employers public liability insurance. Best to speak to a broker about all of the insurance.

Regarding rates you may be located in a BID area which means you will have to pay an additional sum.

And dont forget bank charges!

Posted: Oct 15, 2012 By: Stuart Bailey Member since: Oct 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.