Website Terms & Conditions - Not a Legal Requirement

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by NooseLadder, Sep 9, 2020.

1. NooseLadder

NooseLadder UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 3
    I've read that it is not a legal requirement to put Terms & Conditions on your website but a Privacy Policy is required. Some guidelines say it is recommended to put Terms on your website for various reasons. My new website's aim is to generate enquiries, so I will be capturing name, email and telephone number. I will have a blog attached that may invite comments, not sure yet.

Just looking for some feedback:
    1. Would you recommend adding Terms and reasons why?
    2. Who doesn't and reasons why?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: NooseLadder Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,242 382
    Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

320 80
    Whilst this is funny, its also true, most customers never read and couldn't care less about them or the privacy policy (the difference is that's a UK legal requirement).

The T&Cs are solely to protect you/your business, so they need to cover anything that could come back to bite you regards content on the site, or anything you want to rely on as part of the lead capture process.

You could issue contracts to customer leads at a later date, so T&Cs may have little relevance. They also need to be properly written and stand up in a court of law, or they're worthless...

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  4. NooseLadder

NooseLadder UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 3
    Ha Ha. Yes I know from a user point of view. I was asking from the website owners point of view.

Thank you for a more constructive response. Yes I will have to issue contracts to clients. maybe better left till then.

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 By: NooseLadder Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Naheed Mir

Naheed Mir UKBF Contributor Free Member

54 5
    A Terms and Conditions is a contract between you and your users. It must be agreed by the user to follow. It helps in preventing abuses, as any users found abusing your website can be banned. Moreover, it helps in protecting your content by international copyright laws.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM By: Naheed Mir Member since: Aug 10, 2020