Very slow internet speed

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Mark T Jones, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,266 952
    Hi; I hope someone can help me here;

My girlfriend's house suffers from very slow interned - mostly around 5.2 mbps, but occasionally as low as 2.8. (Vodafone's service standard suggests that 5 is acceptable - which itself is pretty poor)

According to Openreach the address has excellent service

I'm reliable informed that the problem isn't in the router.

I'm really wondering what possible solutions there might be, and who would be best to talk to to resolve the problem (he answer to that certainly isn't Vodafone!)

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,447 371
    BT superfast fibre...

If Vodafone are suggesting 5 is acceptable, that should tell you something about their service standard. Even for us up North of The Wall, I get more than 30 on BT fibre.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    cheers Gordon. I guess part of my question is how will I know that it will work, without actually making the change? I'm wondering if the problem is (literally) more deep-rooted?

4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

386 80
    From what I remember, when I had BT' standard broadband the maximum was about 5MB and I upgraded to 'superfast' which was about 76MB and cost about £15 more.

For past couple of years though I have used mobile only and, for what I use and the speeds I get, I'd say it slightly better although you obviously don't get unlimited bandwidth. Worth noting though that most providers offer some kind of streaming subscription for a few quid extra. I for example, have a amazon prime deal with EE where you can stream as much as you want for an extra £3.99.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,804 2,610
    Whether you take the fibre route (if it is available) or not, my advice would be to switch to a high quality provider.

They will work with you, and have the ability to kick Openreach, to get the best most reliable speed.

It probably will cost a little more.

Zen and Andrews & Arnold are two I would be happy to recommend.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  6. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Thanks for responses; however at this point I'm really looking to understand what issues I might need to address, rather than provider recommendations?

7. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

386 80
    First establish whether the package actually allows for faster speeds. For a standard copper wire connection 5MB isn't that unusual. You may save a bit of head-scratching.

The drop from 5 to around 2 can often be just high demand in that location at certain times and there may be nothing you can do about it other than upgrade.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  8. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Thanks. I'm happy to upgrade - just really want to understand what I'm buying and what guarantees I will get.

9. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 16
    Hi Mark

Have you spoken with any neighbours at all, see what they are using and check their speeds?

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  10. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    Not yet. It's a secret!

11. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,221 1,722
    When you are sold a broadband package in 2019 - the supplier has to quote you a minimum guaranteed speed. If they fail to reach that they are in breach on contract and you can get out of your contract.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofco...ases/2018/better-information-broadband-speeds

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  12. Digital Oriented

Digital Oriented UKBF Contributor Free Member

40 13
    BT, EE, Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media have signed up to a new broadband speeds code of practice introduced by Ofcom from 1 March 2019. Which means that if your contract started on or after 1 March 2019, and you do not receive the minimum speed guarantee, you can exit your contract and switch to another provider.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-tel...nsumers/advice/broadband-speeds-code-practice
    'Your provider should always provide a minimum guaranteed speed and the right to exit connected to this speed at the point of sale. This will ensure that customers are aware of their right to exit their contract if speeds fall below a minimum level.'

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Digital Oriented Member since: Sep 12, 2015
  13. chalkie99

chalkie99 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

842 253
    Ditch her and find someone with a better connection.

Problem solved. ;)

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: chalkie99 Member since: Nov 14, 2008
  14. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,248 215
    I moved house last December and continued a TalkTalk BB provision from my previous address.

All the comparison sites said that I should get 10Mb at the new address, but once moved in the TT BB rarely made 7Mb and often failed to reach 5Mb.

As there was a BT Open Reach box next to the front door I checked the BT site and was assured via chat that I could have Superfast Fibre from BT at 50 or 74Mb. I was even told I could go Ultra Fast Fibre at 150 or 300Mb.

I chose 50Mb and ditched TT for BT - it works fine. If BT say they can do it you can hold them to it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  15. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 16
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  16. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,908 971
    Talk Talk couldn't even get 1mb at one location on copper. Openreach said the distance was on the limit of viability, and eventually Talktalk swapped some kit at the exchange and 1.1mb was achieved. This gradually dropped to 800bps where the internet speed test wouldn't even run.

Sky offered a package at less money for the same thing so I figured why not try it. Their router locked up straight away and manages 1.8 reliably. So still rubbish really, but proof that different suppliers can get different results. I still believe that BT is the safest, due to the link with Openreach. The area this service is in is all old copper and even though there's fibre to the local cabinet, this area is still not connected this way.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  17. Mark T Jones

3,266 952
    :):):cool:

18. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,004 257
    Depending on usage a possible quick fix is to ditch the copper line altogether and use 4G - the bandwidth will probably be much greater. The price and data limits for 4G 'broadband' are finally becoming reasonable; if I remember correctly EE offers 100 GB for £30/month while Three offers 'unlimited' data [check T&C's] for £30/month. Worth a thought.

If sticking with the copper line then Zen and A&A, as mentioned already in this thread, are the go-to good providers. If you switch to them and don't achieve the quoted speeds, they will be much more helpful in having the issue fixed than other providers can be. Good luck.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  19. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,221 1,722
    By that logic Plusnet should be the go to supplier - as they are owned by BT but cheaper and provide better service.

However I don't believe there is any favouritism, for instance sky book open reach engineers quickly and efficiently, they seem to have direct access to the openreach booking systems.

Posted: Jun 24, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  20. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,898 678
    What is the contention ratio on the package you have? - meaning how many people share your connection. Cheap packages/bad suppliers load more customers onto the same bandwidth meaning that, especially at busy times, the available bandwidth can drop dramatically.

Many companies will offer different tiers of service and the only actually difference is that the more expensive ones have a lower contention ratio, so you share with less people.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008