TSO HOST Terrible looking for new VPS hosting

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by bossandy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. bossandy

bossandy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hi everyone
    I am new to the UKBF and am after some advice if anyone one could recommend a good VPS hosting company?
    I am currently with TSO host and if i say the service I am getting is terrible that would be an understatement. I have had issue after issue with various websites I have hosted on VPS's where they are being hacked, really slow, going down, downlaod alerts are being shown when someone clicks to go on my website and emails not working - and when you are trying to run a business this is not good!!
    Everytime I contact TSO they either make an excuse or its not their fault and is a developer problem even though nearly everytime it has been a hosting fault.

Can anyone recommend a decent UK based VPS provider?

Many thanks

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 By: bossandy Member since: Jun 7, 2019
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,004 257
    It does actually sound as though some of those issues may not be TSO's fault, for example your website being hacked most likely is not an issue caused by TSO. Likewise the "download alerts" issue does not sound like an issue which would be caused by the VPS configuration.

Who is responsible for the development and maintenance of your websites? Have you spoken to them about these issues?

Anyway, to answer your question: I use Freethought Internet for shared hosting and would recommend them. I have also referred clients to them for fully managed servers and the service has been equally as good in that department. Apart from being a smaller provider with great customer service, they have an excellent ethics policy outlined here: https://www.freethought-internet.co.uk/about/Freethought-Ethical-and-Environmental-Policy.pdf

I would definitely seek independent professional advice on some of those issues you're describing first. My guess (with limited information) would be that you're seeing a mix of website issues and hosting issues ‒ the hosting issues on the basis that TSO have a bit of a bad rep these days according to some of the feedback posted here.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  3. bossandy

3 0
    Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.
    Most of the issues we had which they told us wasnt their fault which after happening on numerous occasions were fixed by them so they were caused by the hosting....

4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,004 257
    Hosting providers will often fix faults which they haven't caused as a gesture of goodwill. If TSO have genuinely caused your website to be hacked due through a fault of their own then you should definitely seek compensation (full refunds for a starter) and share details so others know to avoid them. They must have majorly dropped the ball there especially as web server operating system security patches tend to be applied automatically in non-mission-critical environments. Websites are usually hacked due to issues at the website software level rather than the server software level.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 16
    Hi BossAndy

Are you able to describe your web hosting needs? Is there a specific reason for needing a VPS or has your existing host simply pushed you in that direction as an upgrade from shared?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  6. bossandy

3 0
    Thanks again Mike
    They did give us 1 month free but we have had numerous issuses on all 3 servers. Their whole attitude has been very unhelpul and quite shocking since they changed from vidahost.

7. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,371 166
    Are you looking for Cpanel VPS hosting with Managed services? can you also share your presently VPS configuration and your budget for the same.

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  8. Kerwin

Kerwin UKBF Contributor Free Member

61 7
    Linode. They are fantastic. Been using them since 2010.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 By: Kerwin Member since: Dec 1, 2018
  9. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,560 610
    Are we talking Windows or Linux? Preference on CP? Managed or non-Managed?

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009