Accounts & Finance Brought to you by SAP Concur
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Transferring personal funds into my business account

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by JoeG123, Mar 8, 2018.

1. JoeG123

JoeG123 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I have a question regarding use of personal funds in a new business. Apologies if the answer is blindingly obvious, but I am young a new business owner so please excuse my naivety!

I registered my new business with companies house (private limited company) a few weeks ago (a dropshipping business) and have now decided on my amount of capital required (£2000). I am self funding this and I have the money in my personal account to use in my business. I have also recently set up a business account. Is it as simple as I just transfer the £2000 from my personal account to my business account with no formal paper trail, or do I need to invest the money in the business through some formal transaction such as the creation of new shares? I would like to simply transfer the money over but I am unsure if this requires some legal formality?

Many thanks in advance from a new member!

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: JoeG123 Member since: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

13,247 2,868
    You can just pay the money into the company's account. It is probably better to put a note in your file that it is a loan.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. anonicee

anonicee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    So I am assuming you are 100% shareholder, have you transferred £X for the shares?

If you want the company to owe you the £2k, put it as a loan. If you want it to be company money you can create the shares.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: anonicee Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  4. JoeG123

3 0
    Yes I am 100% shareholder. I want it to be a loan, I am just wondering when you say 'put it as a loan', is there a formal way to document this loan or do I simply transfer over the money and write a note in my files that on X date I transferred X amount as an interest free loan to X company?

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: JoeG123 Member since: Mar 8, 2018
  5. anonicee

anonicee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    You would write a note in your file yes, you would need to create a "Directors Loan Account" which is a virtual documentation of your loans and payments between you and your company

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: anonicee Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  6. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,130 2,263
    No just record it as a loan in the company accounting records.

Yes that's fine.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  7. JoeG123

3 0
    Thanks for all your help

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: JoeG123 Member since: Mar 8, 2018