To Frank or Not...

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by KimH, Jul 6, 2018.

1. KimH

KimH UKBF Contributor Full Member

42 14
    I have a question about franking - a client of mine has handed over his entire admin function to me which includes a ton of posting every month. I've received some quotes to lease a franking machine which seems the most obvious choice, what I am cautious about are hidden costs.

I am aware that the cost per stamp is less but then there are added costs of ink & monthly rental.

Do any of you use a franking machine and if so have you found it to really be a cost effective alternative to just sticking a stamp on an envelope? And lastly any recommendations?

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 By: KimH Member since: Mar 4, 2017
  2. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,888 2,146
    I have never understood franking. I have an account with the Royal Mail and print PPI labels which cost the same as franking EXCEPT the Royal Mail supply the label rolls free, the payment is on account so it is up to 30 days latter, and if I post enough in one day I get volume discounts.

The ONLY cost is the price of the printer, a Zebra which is under £200.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  3. Ken Moorhouse

Ken Moorhouse UKBF Contributor Free Member

80 4
    Every company is different. I suggest you quantify the cost over a month or two and work out the costs based on your actual usage.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 By: Ken Moorhouse Member since: Jul 2, 2018
  4. RedOnion

RedOnion UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

195 34
    Don't forget other costs depending who you go with. There can be costs each time you download funds onto your franking machine and also costs for downloading any updates, such as the annual price increases.

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 By: RedOnion Member since: Jan 3, 2014
  5. nelioneil

nelioneil UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

603 84
    Have a look at royal mail's drop and go service.

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 By: nelioneil Member since: Jan 22, 2013
  6. KimH

KimH UKBF Contributor Full Member

42 14
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I have decided to go with one of the more well known suppliers, on the surface they are marginally more expensive than the other quotes I received however their clear and transparent terms were the deciding factor for me.

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 By: KimH Member since: Mar 4, 2017