Suggestions please for ecommerce web host server

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by yakyak, Sep 22, 2019.

1. yakyak

yakyak UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 2
    Hi, I have my ecommerce site hosted with TSOHOST, however recently I am noticing my site is down a lot of the time which is not good! Googling shows me that TSOHOST has a higher downtime compared to other hosts, very annoying!
    Please can you give recommendations of UK-based hosts that could provide a better service.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: yakyak Member since: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,050 271
    Have you tried speaking to TSOHOST about this first? It's quite possibly something specific to your website which can be resolved.

Reputable providers to check out:
    1. Freethought Internet (my personal recommendation)
    2. Guru
    3. Krystal

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  3. yakyak

9 2
    Hi I have been on chat with TsoHost today, they say they are experiencing high load issues, engineers are currently working to resolve. To be honest moving the site to a new web server is an annoyance I would rather avoid as the DNS can take time to take affect, as we found out when we last moved. We are going to monitor this random downtime this week to see if it does get fixed.
    I am starting to look at alternative hosts just in case we need to move the site. Thanks for the suggestions, will take a look.

4. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

188 24
    What platform is your site on? How big and busy is it. These days I tend to prefer a VPS for all but the smallest sites.

People seem to be having a lot of problems with them, and DNS changes can be fast if you reduce the TTL in advance of the change.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  5. yakyak

9 2
    I use "WYSIWYG Web Builder" for the site, this is a home-grown ecommerce, mals ecommerce back-end. It is hosted on TSOHOST cpanel server.
    Sorry for showing my ignorance but what is VPS?
    I am a software engineer by trade, this website has been done as homework over the past 10 years or so!
    The site is not that big or busy, around 100 users a day, ~220 pages.

6. gpietersz

188 24
    VPS - virtual private server - i.e. a virtual machine with internet connectivity.

So its a TSOHost provided site builder together with mals for the shopping cart? The former is going to be the problem to move if you decide to - unless its just an install of something you can use elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of software engineer? I mean language, platforms etc.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  7. yakyak

9 2
    C++ embedded systems, DSP, A15, RTOS etc etc etc

8. jacobc

jacobc UKBF Regular Full Member

241 43
    It sounds like you may need to rebuild the site if it is baked into their WYSIWYG Web Builder however if you can PM me a few screenshots, I can happily have a look for you.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: jacobc Member since: Jan 28, 2012
  9. yakyak

9 2
    I can upload the site myself, that is not a problem, I will only need cpanel working, then FTP upload.

10. jacobc

jacobc UKBF Regular Full Member

241 43
    Ok, great, so I would suggest start by contacting a few web hosts and see how quickly you get a reply on a Sunday evening :) I would also check out their TrustPilot reviews.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: jacobc Member since: Jan 28, 2012
  11. UrbanRetail

UrbanRetail UKBF Regular Free Member

187 51
    +1 for Krystal. Hosted with them for several years and always been very happy. Support is great too.

Posted: Sep 22, 2019 By: UrbanRetail Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  12. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,578 614
    Have things improved any or are you still looking to move?

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  13. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

61 4
    Hi,

FWIW: We use simple servers and vultr. Also I always hear about bluehost and hostgator.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  14. gpietersz

188 24
    Vultr is AFAIK fine - pretty similar to Digital Ocean.

Must of what I hear about Bluehost, Hostgator, and other EIG owned providers is not good.

Posted: Sep 28, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  15. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,376 166
    Are you looking for share Ecommerce hosting or VPS/dedicated server.. for Ecommerce SSD server hosting is recommended.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  16. Ivory Madison

Ivory Madison UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    i have faced the same problem with TSOHOST but after i have switched to bluehost its all good now. Their support also helps you when needed

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Posted: Oct 1, 2019 By: Ivory Madison Member since: Oct 1, 2019
  17. Speedydot

Speedydot UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 0
    Hi YakYak,

Do you know much storage you are currently using? Ofcourse, it'd be best to check the current stats on the current package and then to check whether you require a server or what not.

We've helped thousands of sites recently come away from host's for various reasons and the first best thing to do would be to see what's causing the issue.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 By: Speedydot Member since: Mar 23, 2018
  18. EddyRock

EddyRock UKBF Newcomer Free Member

26 4
    In my experience, SiteGround and BlueHost are very good. I'm working on Store migration field and most of my customers moved/placed their Magento website on SiteGround. Their support is ok, fast response. I'm using Vultr, quite good but slow support.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 By: EddyRock Member since: Jul 23, 2019