Sourcing service from china

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Ivel, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Ivel

Ivel UKBF Contributor Full Member

48 9
    Has anyone used a sourcing agent for goods from china. I am looking at Alibaba but the samples I receive are just not the right quality or I get some dodgy sellers that request PayPal payments only.

Is sourcing affordable at all for small orders?

Thanks

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: Ivel Member since: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

259 116
    Hi Ivel,

There are obviously fees involved but much would depend as you say on the size of the order. Personally I have imported a pallet worth of goods before and the fee was worth it as they highlighted some quality issues that were resolved before goods were shipped.

Kind regards,
    Darren.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  3. Andy777

Andy777 UKBF Regular Full Member

270 68
    My own experience with sourcing agents hasn't been that great so I don’t use them anymore. I do believe that you can do a better job unless goods involved are very specific and you can't find that many suppliers on Alibaba.

Also - why do you think that suppliers who take Pay Pal are dodgy? In fact, it's a very good sign - scammers don't use Pay Pal at all as they can't scam you using it in China.

Quality, as Darren points out, is another story - for that, you want to use a pre-shipment company like Richfort or similar.

Posted: Nov 21, 2018 By: Andy777 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,757 739
    Using a sourcing agent has it's pros and cons.
    (My advice is to use a native English speaking agent to avoid miscommunication).

Pros:

1. They can source 'outside' of Alibaba (Most suppliers on Alibaba are not factories).
    2. They can visit factories for verification.
    3. They check samples before sending to you.
    4. They consolidate samples, to reduce shipping costs.
    5. They guarantee payments. (Some)
    6. They communicate in Mandarin with factories to ensure communication.
    7. They verify Certificates.
    8. They carry out product testing.
    9. They include a full list if terms within the contract for your protection.
    10. They process orders after verifying components.
    11. They carry out QC checks before shipment.
    12. They ensure packaging and packing is correct.
    13. They prepare all the export documents correctly.
    14. They arrange China Customs clearance.
    15. They arrange shipping to your door.
    Cons:

1. They charge a commission.

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Andy777

Andy777 UKBF Regular Full Member

270 68
    There's another con: they can be unreliable, make mistakes and mess up everything!

The cost is really not the problem - I'm happy to pay a commission for a job well done. The problem is finding such a sourcing agent that is RELIABLE and TRUSTWORTHY. I'm sure there are such services out there but go and find them.

Two times I used such a service (a reputable service at that time), they mixed up everything and cause massive expenses at my end to sort it out.

Then one of my clients used one well-known sourcing company in China, run by expat etc. and basically they screwed up him totally! The goods were delayed by many months and when they finally showed up, half of the order was missing.

That's my experience with sourcing agents. I don't use them because another middleman creates a higher risk of things going wrong. I'm, not saying that everyone is like that, absolutely not! But people should be very careful when choosing a sourcing agent to work with.

I would use such a service IF I knew someone who is 100% legitimate, genuine and trustworthy.

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 By: Andy777 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,757 739
    Yes, I agree.

Things can always go wrong during the order processing stage. It's essential that both sides interact with each other to ensure a process is followed to ensure risk is minimsed.

There can be problems with any order (even repeat orders) and it's useful to have someone on the ground to check each stage, including Proforma details, components (prior to production), packaging, documentation etc.

You have to take all things into consideration and decide what is best for you.

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  7. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

4,976 1,062
    I agree also.
    I always use an agent for the container loads that we buy and I organise for other clients. So my agent is obviously reliable and trustworthy.
    The big issue for here is the size of the order. An agent might well quite reasonably charge a lot more than the value of a small order just to cover actual costs incurred. If the small order is a pre-cursor to a big order then its money well spent. If its a one off.....

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  8. bgnovuc

bgnovuc UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    aliexpress?

Posted: Nov 22, 2018 By: bgnovuc Member since: Sep 12, 2017
  9. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

331 71
    For small orders, sourcing agents may not be a good choice, as Graemel said, the cost is relatively too high.

Try AliExpress or Amazon, you will be able to find lots of Chinese suppliers who offer door to door delivery.

Posted: Nov 30, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012