Small business dealing with UK Customs clearance procedures

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Era, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Era

Era UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    Hi!
    I am the owner of a small business, and I had some questions regarding importing from China.
    I have some small orders I have placed with my suppliers in China, and I have as well got in contact with DHL to use it as a courier.
    I am not planning to have more than 6 deliveries a year, and not very big ones; so I thought there was no need to get to hire a customs broker, and I could have dealt with customs clearance myself- as some companies had extremely high fees- which I cannot afford.

I have had some time to familiarize with EORI Number, VAT, Customs Duty, and Codes&Tariffs- however, I am finding it very confusing when it comes to the description of the iter- how to properly make a Customs declaration? How do I register for CHIEF & do I have to register for CHIEF? What software do I have to buy to file a declaration online?
    It is very confusing.. and I honestly found myself in limbo and do not know how to deal with it.

DHL says will not deal with Customs Clearance.
    I have an EORI number and registered for VAT.
    Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Many thanks for your time.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: Era Member since: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,357 2,959
    Thats what you pay fees to companies for.

Is DHL locked in now?

You can do the process yourself but its a lot easier to get an expert to do it all for you. Factor the costs into your pricing same as you do your other costs.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Regular Free Member

121 25
    Speaking as a freight forwarder/customs broker, CHIEF costs thousands of pound per year to run & maintain with additional add-ons for 'badges' that are required for each UK entry point. To make it pay you need to handle lots of clearances on a regular basis which is why 99% of importers use a freight forwarder for their clearances and pay a fee accordingly. That said, unless your goods are not for home use and/or are subject to specific customs clearance arrangements, DHL will automatically carry out customs clearance for you, provided they have original invoices to refer to at the point of origin of the goods.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  4. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,477 1,176
    Have I lost the plot? I thought CHIEF was obsolete and was now CDS?

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Regular Free Member

121 25
    Correct. CDS came into play August 2018 to supercede CHIEF. Unfortunately (for me anyway), old habits die hard, so to speak!

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,610 1,319
    You're over thinking whats required for shipping.

If you only have 6 small shipments per year, just ask your China suppliers to send by DHL (or UPS, TNT, FEDEX . . . . . .)

If they are being sent from Guangzhou/Dongguan/Shenzhen we can arrange it all for you.

No CHEIF required.

No CDS required.

No EORI required. (If you have it, that's fine)

Door to Door - Currently taking 4-5 days.

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  7. mejamakan

mejamakan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    thanks for sharing,very usefull for me

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 By: mejamakan Member since: Aug 7, 2020
  8. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

313 43
    Happy to help with the correct commodity codes, takes 2 minutes to look this up on uk trade tarriff:
    https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

I recall it being slightly confusing at first but its pretty easy for most products.

If you have the item descriptions, you can check your commodities applicable duties rates in advance and that will also help you figure out final costs.

I would never book dhl from one country to UK but I know the Chinese have started to insist on this in some cases recently.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  9. Era

Era UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 2
    Thank you all very much for your time. It has been very helpful!
    I got back in contact with my DHL Account manager and asked him if their part could deal with the Customs Clearance, instead of me hiring a Customs broker, and they agreed, for a small fee to be added upon my regular fee.

Posted: Aug 7, 2020 By: Era Member since: Sep 21, 2018
  10. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

335 134
    Correct advice above - DHL will do this for you for a small fee - usually around the £20 mark plus any Duty/VAT.

Oh and @Mike Godwin @paulears CHIEF is still very much up and running. Switchover to CDS in the UK has been delayed (looking like mid/late 2021 now). It's being used by a few CFSP approved companies as part of a long testing phase but the whole project has been a complete mess thus far.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012