General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Simple stock control software??

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Merchant UK, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    Hi all, Sorry for not being about for yonks, been sooooo busy just so much work nowadays for welders around London (Crazy!!)

Anyway as with being busy i'm looking at doing my stock control on the pc, Ideally i'm just after a small cheap or free software that will just keep track of stock and give me a report at least once a week.

Not interested in invoicing, purchase orders or customers, just something so i can track my stock, ie, welding consumables, drilling, PPE, etc..

Can any of you guys recommend anything thats out there, to be honest i don't mind paying as long as its simple!

Posted: Oct 10, 2014 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  2. kevinof

kevinof UKBF Contributor Free Member

77 7
    Afternoon. Don't want to advertise but this may be useful to you. We have a web app builder/forms app that lets you create forms like this. We have lots of customers using it for stock control and all you have to do is edit the app, change the field names to your needs and run. We can also provide you with templates or make the app for you at no charge.

It's free for up to 3 users so it might be a solution for you. Take a look at apptimi dot com

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 By: kevinof Member since: Oct 12, 2014
  3. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,105 923
    I've used Excel for years. It can do loads of calculations and you can set it up to your own needs. Most useful is being able to see what items to add to an order to get best discount terms.

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,111 3,369
    Posted: Oct 12, 2014 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  5. lww

lww UKBF Regular Free Member

359 66
    I'd be another recommending Excel - it's free and easy to setup a very simple stock control and monitoring spreadsheet. No point in complicating matters or introducing a dependency on non-mainstream third party software in my opinion.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 By: lww Member since: Jan 20, 2010
  6. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    I'd be happy using the excel method can anyone point me in the right direction for a template??

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  7. lww

lww UKBF Regular Free Member

359 66
    You don't need a template, you can make it as simple as you want - in its most simplest form why not just type products in one column, dates across the top row, and enter your stock numbers. Maybe you could do this every 1st of the month for example and thus keep a track of your monthly usage. Or you might find it easier to track sales rather than remaining stock.

At a later date you can start adding in graphs to show stock levels, etc. Or maybe you will have one tab/sheet per sales channel and a summary page... whatever suits you best.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 By: lww Member since: Jan 20, 2010
  8. Margaret Dems

Margaret Dems UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    There's a good stock control program at simplestockcontrol.yolasite (dot)com thats soo easy to use.

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 By: Margaret Dems Member since: Mar 24, 2017
  9. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,423 1,767
    Why pay for excel when you can get Google Sheets or Libre Office for free, both perfectly functionl spredsheets

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  10. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,423 628
    Basic stock control is essentially...

'stock purchases' minus 'sales'

.. plus you need the user option to 'adjust' stock levels (stock lost, damaged, stolen, returned etc) & the option to do a 'stock take'.

IMHO Excel is not the way to approach stock control (not saying it can't be done, but it's the wrong tool for the task in hand)......IMHO you really need a database (Excel is not, repeat NOT a database!) ...something like MS Access.

There are many free MS Access inventory control databases out there.

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  11. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,281 228
    I have to agree with @Pish_Pash A spreadsheet is not the idea tool. If paying a small subscription is good for you take a look at MS Office 365. No technical knowledge is needed to set up a SharePoint List (or lists) that will give you the functionality you need. The set up is easy and I would be happy to provide free guidance on the structure you need.
    My gain comes with more complex stuff, and who knows you may come back in the future for that if I help you at this level.
    Hope this helps

Chris

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  12. Pish_Pash

2,423 628
    This may be a bit heavy for anyone new to Access (and/or VBA), but this is how I essentially deployed my own stock control system...

http://allenbrowne.com/appinventory.html

...it's very ingenious (even if you don't understand the code nor intend using it, it's probably worth reading the introduction for the 'concept' of deploying basic stock control)

I fully understand why everyone always suggests Excel ...it's what everyone is familiar with (and who doesn't know how to use a spreadsheet?) ...but the sooner you start using a database, the sooner you can save yourself a whole heap of time & make laborious repetitive tasks a piece of proverbial.

Posted: Mar 24, 2017 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  13. ffox

1,281 228
    Sorry, but that is way too complicated. First rule of process development is - Keep it simple.

You need two core tables -
    Stock Item. Contains data that describes the stock and location.
    Stock Transactions. Contains data on stock movement.

You can add support tables to feed the Stock Transaction table with customer/supplier names and other meta data about the stock to save on data duplication.

Stock holding needs to be calculated 'on the fly' from a known point. This can be a daily, weekly, monthly or other period validated holding.

Validated holding is best done by rolling stock check. If the control software is cloud stored, this can be done with a tablet or smart phone with 'eyes on' the bin or carton.
    Discrepancies are entered into Stock Transactions as an adjustment, preferably with an audit trail note.

This can be done using SS or DB.

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  14. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,097 1,095
    the OP asked the question 3 years ago

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  15. ffox

1,281 228
    Oops.

16. Pish_Pash

2,423 628
    even though the OP has long since likely found a resolution, continuing on

Back to Allen Brown's ethos...

""How do I update the Quantity On Hand each time an item is sold/used?" The simple answer is: You don't! You calculate the value when you need it."

so, whilst the code might not have been easy on the eye.....the concept is actually *very* simple (KISS!) & is pretty much inline with what you describe.

Product Table (describes the stock, location etc)

Stock take table (a known reference point from when you've physically counted the stock)

Stock acquistions table (for when you've purchased stock)

Stock adjustments table (to make any minor manual adjustments on the fly)

So, to get stock 'on hand' quantity run a simple calculation...

Last Stock take ('Quantity counted' & date of count) + Stock acquistions since ± Stock adjustments since - stock sold since.

Posted: Mar 25, 2017 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  17. ffox

1,281 228
    That bit is good, but a single transaction table recording stock in and stock out is all that is necessary at the core. Any other tables for stock description, supplier, customer, invoice detail etc., are all peripheral and for reference.
    The calc is done in the query.

For instance - you don't need a stock take table. Adjustments are merely recorded as stock transaction of stocktake adjustment type.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.