Shipping to Germany - Are there any "cheap" tracked options?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Nickdavis87, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickdavis87

Nickdavis87 UKBF Regular Free Member

275 28
    We are starting to see growth in our German sales as we are growing sales on their platforms, one thing we struggle with is postage, we currently send with Royal Mail standard Airmail but find that we are getting a lot of questions for tracking. Now looking at Royal Mail it's going to be about £8 to send to Germany tracked, baring in mind our items are only 200-500 grams and cost about £12-25 this £8 seems a lot.

We can send within the Uk with myhermes for £2.20 on a 2 day service, with this in mind I have been thinking about sending our items from the Uk to Germany in a big box next day for approx £1 per item and then paying someone or a company to ship within Germany with maybe Myhermes, I am sure the total cost per item would come out less than £5 per item. Anyone done this?

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 By: Nickdavis87 Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  2. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,418 624
    Last year I was in dialogue with a company called Future Pro, their prices to Germany were almost half the Royal MAil's 'over the counter' (retail) prices - for example for 500g Royal Mail track & signed was £8.68...their price was £4.49. Even bigger savings were to be had to the States ...for example 250g Royal Mail £8.68, their price was £3.99) ...these were quoted March 2014...so not sure what's happened since then, but probably worth checking our (it's on my todo list for this quarter)

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Nickdavis87

Nickdavis87 UKBF Regular Free Member

275 28
    I am actually waiting on a call back from them, their email bounced so interested to see what they can offer.

DPD have a 3-4 day service coming up at about £5.50 to Germany

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 By: Nickdavis87 Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  4. Soopadoubled

Soopadoubled UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 2
    I'd second DPD - they have some great rates to Germany, and they're rolling out their 1-hour notification service there as they have a pretty strong network there. It really depends on volumes as to whether they would be a viable option.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 By: Soopadoubled Member since: Jan 15, 2015
  5. FuturePro

FuturePro UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 3
    Nick apologies that your email to FuturePro Logistics got bounced back. Thank you for bringing it to my attention I am on the case to rectify the address issue. All our other emails & web site work just fine.
    I have called you and left a message.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 By: FuturePro Member since: Feb 22, 2014
  6. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    @FuturePro do we need large volumes to use your service?

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  7. Jayser100

Jayser100 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

718 122
    I've just signed up with Future Pro following a tip-off on this forum. Our service will start in a few days time and I'll let you know how we get on. It is certainly cheaper, especially to the US where their prices are unbelievable - around £2.50 for tracked parcels! That means I will be able to drop my US Amazon prices by around $10.00 per pair of sunglasses, and that will allow me to be far more competitive out there.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 By: Jayser100 Member since: May 21, 2009
  8. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    That was my tip :) ....I found out about this early last year, but a couple of things put me off...

1. There was (at least back then) a £5.00 collection charge....I didn't have sufficient volume to be paying that back then
    2. it wasn't clear when the collection would take place ...random, set time? (such is the way I run my business, I can't be held in waiting on someone to collect 'at some point throughought the day'...I don't need an exact time, but afternoon or morning would be a start!)
    3. it wasn't clear how I'd get the tracking number (to email customers) & therefore how I could weave them into my existing order process flow.

On the whole whilst the prices were attractive, there wasn't a whole lot of information available...I did ask the contact but never really got satisfactory answers

I agree with the competitive win though, some of the high value items I send to the USA will be far more competitve (indeed I could build the postage into the price & offer free postage) therefore I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. Jayser100

718 122
    Most of what we ship are untracked packets - initially, we're going to trial the new service on tracked packets only and maintain our Royal Mail business collection for the rest. If they turn out to be rubbish we can quickly switch back to using RM for everything. If they are good then we'll switch the whole lot as all of their prices are cheaper. They have told me that they will collect late afternoon, however their initial quote was based on using City Link which of course isn't going to happen now. They are using UK Mail instead. The main downside I can see is that they can't do RM Special Delivery packets on a next day, because you lose a day whilst they sort them in their warehouse in Reading. That means we'll have to take Expedited's down to the local Post Office, which of course costs more because we will have to pay the full whack. We don't do many of these to be fair, and the PO is only about a mile away in the local village so it isn't too much bother. it will give me an excuse for a quick trip out of the office!

10. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    Just called them again...they're saying 100 packets is the 'crossover point' where it becomes worthwhile (opn account for less than this they charge £6.00 per collection)....most of my sales are UK (where Royal Mail are more competitive) & of those that are international, only about half are to those countries where their savings are compelling)...therefore I'll probably not be saving that much until i grow to the point where I have 100 packets per week to the USA, France & germany. The main worry for me is to generate tracking numbers you have to open a 'world options' account ...this is an extra admin 'hop' in the dispatch process & I'm not sure how well that will integrate with my existing processes, but certainly the savings to the US are compelling enough to consider trialing.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  11. Jayser100

718 122
    Their rates do vary from country to country but they are all cheaper to some extent. As I understand it, with the tracked stuff all that happens is that you have to fill in a spreadsheet (I already have the template) with details of the tracked stuff and keep it for your own records / checking.

The other thing I like about their US service is that they get the packages to the States quickly, then the USPS deliver the item, so you're not relying on some backwater 'man with a van' to get it there at the other end. At £2.50 per pop instead of £8.00 it could be a game changer in the States for my business.

12. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,996 2,188
    I used them for a while for last year for their untracked US service. They bill weekly. They weigh every single parcel and charge you based on their weight. I had two problems with them. Firstly their weights did not always match mine. Secondly a significant percentage of my customers messaged asking me where their orders were. It took far longer for parcels to get to the US than the Royal Mail. All parcels eventually arrived, and it was a cheap service. I fine Royal Mail Max sort better and cheaper.
    For TRACKED however it would be hard to beat them.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  13. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    When I spoke to future pro, I asked them how I get the tracking number - they said I'd need to get my tracking number via worldoption (which sounds to me like it'll add time to what for me is an existing slick/fast process I already have in place), so I 'registered' on world options website ...someone from worldoptions then called me quickly about my enquiry, but had no clue what I was on about wrt future pro ...watch this space!

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  14. FuturePro

69 3
    Hopefully I can clear up any misunderstandings. FuturePro provides our customers with valuable cost savings against Royal Mail ever week, we focus on Tracked International and Tracked, and provide a complete range of mail options including all UK services.
    To understand the savings available potential customers go to our website and request a "Postage Savings Quote".
    How it works. We collect customers mail at an agreed time everyday (or less frequently if more practical). Collections are ideally FREE. However if volumes are low we may need to agree a collection contribution.
    We have a number of collection suppliers which we will agree with you prior to start (depending on volume and location).
    Tracking numbers are provided directly to our customers daily to their email.
    I hope this helps.
    Mark

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: FuturePro Member since: Feb 22, 2014
  15. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    ...could you add more meat here (since it's future pro's tracked services that offer the most savings). Do you outsource the 'provision of tracking numbers' for the packages to worldoptions?

So, for example would a merchant need to login to worldoptions, to request a physical collection & be assigned the tracking numbers required for the parcels?

16. FuturePro

69 3
    World Options is one of a range of daily collection options available to us.
    We will agree with you the most efficient collection option for you, based on volume & location.

Your tracking numbers are provided by us daily to you email one each tracked item has been received, processed and dispatched.
    Hope this helps.

17. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    Sorry it's still not clear.

Let's say I have 10 packages, going to the USA, France & Germany

Who do I contact to get them collected? (when I spoke to future pro, I took away from the chat that I'd have to book a collection)

Ok, a man turns up at my door & I hand over the packages...but with no tracking numbers on them yet? (If so, I must them wait until I can I tell my customers their tracking number? i.e. until Future Pro have emailed me back with the tracking numbers)

How is everything correlated in your supplied 'tracking number' email ...by postcode? In other words postcode N20 8LX = tracking number 12345678 etc.). You say it's daily, but with what slippage? i.e. if I hand over the sack to the chap collecting , will it not be until the end of the following day before I have the tracking numbers?

What was the worldoptions providing the tracking numbers all about? (doesn't everyone use the same process?)

many thanks :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  18. FuturePro

69 3
    OK, in this particular example.
    Assuming our customer was using our World Options collection service. They would log on and book a collection (Sacks or Parcels, your choice).

Tracking is managed via an Excel file you would email to us. This would simply include the customers name / address details. From this we identify the package and provide you - by return the tracking number.
    I hope this helps.

19. marcinex

marcinex UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    [/QUOTE]I have been thinking about sending our items from the Uk to Germany in a big box next day for approx £1 per item and then paying someone or a company to ship within Germany with maybe Myhermes, I am sure the total cost per item would come out less than £5 per item. Anyone done this?[/QUOTE]

I can help you with this service if you want. Shipping direct from Germany by DHL full tracked. Delivery usually in next day after shipping in Germany.

Posted: Jan 25, 2015 By: marcinex Member since: Jan 25, 2015
  20. Pish_Pash

2,418 624
    Earlier you said this....
    but now this...
    How many options do you have?

Also, assuming a customer is not using your worldoptions option (btw, the chap I spoke to at world options was not familiar with future pro), how about my earlier question...

It seem quite hard to get all the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.