Setting up a new PC

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by fattony, Feb 4, 2020.

1. fattony

fattony UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

677 26
    Hi

I occasionally need to setup PC's for clients and when you configure Windows 10 it asks you to login to your microsoft account, dont really want to login with my account and I'm not sure how to do this correctly.

I essentially want to setup the PC so it just boots into Windows and has a antivirus, anti virus isnt a problem as my Mcafee account is for unlimited PC's - unless anyone can suggest an alternative but my main problem is configuring Windows so it doesnt have my Microsoft login.

This PC is just for access control or CCTV programs

Thanks

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 By: fattony Member since: Jul 16, 2009
  2. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,184 261
    You can usually skip this page and create a local account although my memory is telling me that it may be a requirement for the home version of Windows. I would download the pro version and install that if it is, you don't really need a key and apart from a notice that it is unregistered on the windows background it is fully functional (some unneeded customisation features are also disabled)

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  3. zigojacko

zigojacko I say it how it is Full Member - Verified Business

3,578 1,138
    You don't have to log in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account.

There should be an option to skip that step and just create a new local user account.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 By: zigojacko Member since: Dec 7, 2009
  4. fattony

677 26
    To be honest I don't remember seeing this option but I have another one to setup soon and I will check again

Thanks

5. ServWise

1,184 261
    Yes M$ don't make it obvious but there should be a skip option or a not now option etc.

6. fattony

677 26
    Ok so on this laptop I'm just trying to change the username which I can't work out so I'm adding a new user but again it wants me to sign in:

1) Click Settings
    2) Click Users
    3) Click Family & Other Users
    4) Click Add Someone Else To PC

Microsoft account login pops up

6) I select 'I don't have this persons sign in details'
    7) I create the user
    8) I'm asked for security questions but setting these up will be for me not the user so I guess I either need to not have a user account setup or find out the clients security questions?

I just can't imagine IT companies setup PC's like this, I'm not an IT company just supply a few here and there dedicated for security equipment

Thanks

7. ServWise

1,184 261
    type "users" in start, should bring up "edit local users and groups" (this is the non windows 10 way of adding users), from here you can simply create a user like you would on a server etc.

8. fattony

677 26
    Am I missing something, I have the following options:

1) Add, Edit or Remove Users
    2) Change User Settings
    3) Other Users
    4) Select Users That Can Remotely Access The PC

I think I've found it but I have to enter their security questions which I guess is inevitable as you can't set a password without a hint

9. ServWise

1,184 261
    Maybe if you told us what version of Windows 10 you are using we could help better?

What happens if you press Windows+R and type "lusrmgr.msc" into the run prompt?

10. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

13,146 3,413
    The answers to security questions do not have to be true, just consistent each time they are asked for on a single computer. You can use standard answers to the security questions and use the same ones across every computer/user.

Posted: Feb 4, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  11. fattony

677 26
    Sussed it,

I created a user without a password and then added a password which then allowed me to just just have a password hint

Thanks for your help

12. fattony

677 26
    For Reference this laptop is running Windows 10 Home but the PC to clients will be Windows 10 Pro

13. JD-UK-GN

JD-UK-GN UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Microsoft has changed Win 10 home version since it initially was released so that it now forces users to set up an online - not a local account.

One way round it is to ensure you are not connected to the internet before you do the setup ie If you have a computer with an Ethernet cable, unplug it. If you’re connected to Wi-Fi, disconnect.

You'll get the 'something went wrong' warning on screen when you're disconnected but then an option down the bottom of the screen to Skip - do the skip - Then you should get “Who’s going to use this PC?” screen and you can now create an offline account at that point.

With Windows 10 Pro you have the option to 'Join Domain' instead of an online account and this is also creating a local account on the machine.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Posted: Feb 7, 2020 By: JD-UK-GN Member since: Feb 6, 2020