Selling On Amazon

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Mister B, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,366 533
    Morning All

I would be grateful if anybody could offer some feedback on the pros and cons of trading on Amazon. I understand that the rate of commission is quite high but I am interested to know as to how much success people have had with it.

Thanks in advance.

Mister B

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  2. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,802 2,121
    The commission is 15%. There is also a £25 a month fee. There are no other fees. Items tend to sell for more than we get on ebay, and it has proved so much better than ebay we have stopped using ebay.
    Their feedback mechanism is terrible. You cannot get negative feedback removed. Buyer feedback is ignored. You only need a few stupid buyers who misread something to get significant negative feedback and it is tough climbing back out.

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  3. glencooley.com

glencooley.com UKBF Ace Free Member

1,704 165
    Hi Mister B

Amazon offer alot of turnkey solutions for selling through them, like full catalogue data, images and a payment mechanism.

They offer a selection of things called Amazon Webservices.

PM me if you want some more details but essentially they will give you all the product data if you dont have it (or want to sell more than you physically stock) and payment mechanism....

Which I think is a big pro as it saves alot of leg work and development costs your end. That said its all about scale.

Thanks

Glen

Posted: Sep 21, 2007 By: glencooley.com Member since: Sep 12, 2007
  4. rippedoffbyamazon

rippedoffbyamazon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi well first off I would say don't sell on amazon unless you only have a few items and never get involved to a business level. I traded on Amazon.co.uk from 2001 until my store was closed by them in 2006 all listings removed and all outstanding funds were kept by amazon my account was supposedly linked to another account that was banned and any subsequent new accounts would also be closed. The important point here is that as far as I could see I did nothing wrong had 98% positive feedback and over 15,000 items listed which I had paid for and had in stock. The result of this ban was they kept and I never received a my takings of £751 I lost my home and was bankrupted by their action that was never explained to me, none of my family has a seller account as they were also closed down for being associated with another banned account. Look up (Amazon Sucks) in a search engine. I only started selling on amazon after I was made redundant and put a huge effort into selling items on line and was turning over in excess of £5,000 per month I had help from 2 people part time and they lost jobs and I lost everything.

Some sellers who have been closed down had 70,000 items and employed people full time but still they were closed down simply by being sent a standard e mail.

My advice is don't start selling on Amazon at all.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone else who has been closed down and funds kept e mail me

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 By: rippedoffbyamazon Member since: Sep 26, 2007
  5. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,802 2,121
    I am sorry to hear about your problems. Being closed down arbitarily is always a problem for both Amazon and Paypal. The only thing I can say is do not rely on them. Always have an alternative selling route, for example your own web site. Always promote your web site by putting flyers in every item you ship from an Amazon order. That way your web site business will grow in proportion to your Amazon business.
    Do not exclude Amazon as a selling route BUT do not get locked in.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  6. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,245 119
    wow major problems

I agree its best not to rely on other sellers as if something goes wrong your in trouble

we had the opposite that we sold on ebay for ages - 100% +ve
    then we bought from someone else on ebay who was offering at one price but when you bought the price changed

as we declined the sale our reputation was damaged and had massive problems and their system wouldn't let us sort it out, going round in circles for ages.

we like having our own site, in control of it 100%
    but using other sellers helps as it drives traffic to you but dont rely on in

G

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  7. SpeedyExpressCouriers

SpeedyExpressCouriers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,256 9
    I wouldn't take any notice of this user, everything he has said has been negative. The username explains it all.

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 By: SpeedyExpressCouriers Member since: Aug 27, 2006
  8. rss

rss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

206 7
    I can't really say much here as I don't run a 'business' on Amazon, but I've made a few hundred selling books and DVDs that I no longer wanted, but nothing spectacular.

Everything went smoothly and payments were made on time. It's a shame their commission is so high, but selling on Amazon is a lot less hassle than using eBay, which is why I use it- that and the fact that Amazon don't get a penny unless the item sells!

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 By: rss Member since: Apr 26, 2007
  9. Online Trader

Online Trader UKBF Newcomer Free Member

765 71
    Hi.

We do well on Amazon, much better prices than on eBay.

We list about 30 products and sell at least 2/3 per day.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 By: Online Trader Member since: Sep 28, 2007
  10. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,698 719
    A colleague of mine who runs Paragon Martial Arts is now trading on Amazon and so far its proved a good investment for his time in stocking his Amazon shop. Apart from their shop interface being awful, its as useful a sales channel as eBay and so far its paying off. That's not to say it will be a useful longer term investment but so far so good.

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  11. mompessons

mompessons UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi,

Firstly I am new to this forum, and came across it whilst looking for other selling platforms other than eBay. I was acutally looking for selling advise and maybe tutorials for selling on Amazon. Can any one point me to anything useful like this please?

Many thanks,

Marc.

Posted: Mar 27, 2008 By: mompessons Member since: Mar 27, 2008
  12. indiemandm

indiemandm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    I have sold some books on Amazon and it's been fine, make about 1 sale a week from an inventory of only 10 products. My advice would be research the price of your product first, I don't list anything at 1p only items that the seller pays over £5 for but ALWAYS check the amount you come out with vs postage costs, it's easy to make nothing or less. The products that have sold best for me are sheet music books, used in good condition. I price a little cheaper than other traders for the product/condition so buyers are more likely to pick my item. I'm not a trader on there just a private seller so sorry if this is not relevant to you.

Posted: Oct 3, 2010 By: indiemandm Member since: Oct 3, 2010
  13. TheBalanceBikeShop

TheBalanceBikeShop UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 0
    Hi,

do you need a bar code to sell on amazon.co.uk?

I would love to sell my balance bikes (www.thebalancebikeshop.com) as ebay is so expensive so quality products gets lumped with cheaper ones.

After reading this link it has opened my eyes to this sales channel!

Nick

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 By: TheBalanceBikeShop Member since: Dec 28, 2009
  14. Guest

0 0
    Yes you need a bar code to sell your product on Amazon, they can be purchased individually for about £15 each. If you have lots of models to sell, you need to register with GS1 UK which costs about £245 to get set up. This is my dilema at the moment, would go halfers with you! lol

Amazon has a much better search facility if you have unique products. On ebay you would be buried on page 250, on Amazon you could be on page 10. I have two products listed on Amazon and two on ebay as an experiment. Sales everyday on Amazon, one a week if I'm lucky on fleebay.

Both selling platforms have zero tolerance and couldn't care less about your difficulties.

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  15. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,955 1,028
    yes you do need barcodes

you need to contact GS1 its about £240+vat for the first year and £140 every year after.

Have you considered your product is so niche that there inlies the problem and not getting lost in ebay, although I don't people will be looking on ebay for your product.

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  16. TheBalanceBikeShop

41 0
    Thanks for the info - how do I get an individual barcode? I thought this was not an option and had to pay £240? Thanks nick

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 By: TheBalanceBikeShop Member since: Dec 28, 2009
  17. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,955 1,028
    if you contact GS1 they will be able to give the name of the very few companies allowed to resell barcodes.

Posted: Mar 14, 2011 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  18. TheBalanceBikeShop

41 0
    Thanks - That fantastic. Amazon here we come :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
    Posted: Mar 15, 2011 By: TheBalanceBikeShop Member since: Dec 28, 2009
  19. BensonYan

BensonYan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

27 2
    it has a great market all over the world, so it must be not cheap

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 By: BensonYan Member since: Mar 15, 2011
  20. Guest

0 0
    I used this company:
    http://ezupc.com/

They will also supply the graphic if you need to print your code onto an avery label.

Posted: Mar 15, 2011 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.