General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Rules and regulations regarding home made soap

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by sirving, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirving

sirving Guest

21 2
    Im doing some basic research into selling homemade soap to the public. Are there any rules and regulations regarding getting the recipes certified and how and where the product is made? Also would I need any insurance?

Many Thanks

Posted: Dec 26, 2010 By: sirving Member since: Dec 20, 2009
  2. mcgovern

mcgovern UKBF Newcomer Free Member

500 70
    the same regulations that cover homemade lemonade

Posted: Dec 26, 2010 By: mcgovern Member since: May 17, 2009
  3. sirving

sirving Guest

21 2
    Thanks, much appreciated

Posted: Dec 26, 2010 By: sirving Member since: Dec 20, 2009
  4. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 593
    I think its a little bit more specific than Home made lemonade.

Basically anything that you sell which is applied to the skin, be it soaps, lotions or balms needs to be tested and certified.

This one is important as its UK regs for soaps etc - http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file25422.pdf

If you make homemade products you will need them certified by a cosmetic chemist that they are safe to use on the skin otherwise you could be in serious trouble with big fines.

The best way around it is if you buy certified products from an established soap items wholsaler.

however if you still want to go ahead and create products yourself using raw materials then you can get yourself certified, do a google and you get places like this http://www.gracefruit.com/safety-assessments/

As for insurance, i would recommend some form of public liability insurance, after all its peace of mind in case someone suffers a reaction

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Posted: Dec 26, 2010 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  5. learnings cool

learnings cool UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    so does that mean if all your ingredients come from a certified soap store then we don't need our own certification (for the time being)?
    also is this including creams and balms?not just making and selling soaps

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: learnings cool Member since: Jan 11, 2018
  6. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

867 295
    I can’t help with the first part of your question, but according to this linkthe regulations cover all ‘Cosmetic Products’ which are defined as:

any substance or mixture intended to be placed in contact with the external parts of the human body (epidermis, hair system, nails, lips, etc.)

So I would say yes it does include creams and balms as well as soap.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,872 3,030
    Provided the soap store has had the product tested as required.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Tricia T

Tricia T UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I have read all the posts regarding legislation around selling home made soaps and am wondering how this applies to ideas I have for starting up workshops. My plan was to provide the raw ingredients and instruct attendees to make bath bombs and soaps which they then take home for their own use. I had also planned on selling a variety of my own made bath bombs, soaps and shower jellies but now fear that legislation makes this a complex process. Any advise would be very welcome.

Posted: May 19, 2018 By: Tricia T Member since: May 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.