Quik way to create a 1 page static web page that looks good

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Karimbo, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,730 176
    I'd like to create a static one page website. Would prefer it to be HTML page without code instead of a wordpress site with code in.

Is there a free service available that will allow me to create a nicely designed website with templates and then download it from the web and upload it onto my webspace.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Russ Michaels

Russ Michaels UKBF Contributor Free Member

67 16
    take a look on theme forest or template monster, you will find some nice cheap html templates.
    Otherwise just google for "free website templates" and you will find a few half decent free ones.
    If you are looking for a website builder, then there are tons to choose from. If you just want to use one those to create the site and them convert it to static HTML, then there are website copier tools for doing this too. try httrack dot com

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Russ Michaels Member since: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Karimbo

1,730 176
    That's for the suggestions, I'll have to give it a longer look another day. I do use themeforest. But all their teomplates there seem to be templates designed for web designer to use to adapt to a CMS. With dropdown menus and the like.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  4. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

251 58
    It would help to understand what you're trying to do, is it a landing page for marketing some sort of offer, or just a one page website you're trying to create?

I'm not sure I understand the bit about WordPress, as every type of site needs code? The difference between WordPress, a drag & drop site builder and an html page, is that you need to be able to create the html/CSS code to make an html page work & look any good.

If you can't code, you're much better off with a solution you can build yourself, if you're not prepared to pay a developer or agency to create it.

You need to think about & understand what your longer term plans are, as website builders can be clunky for SEO & any development that's not supported by the builder platform means you usually can't do it. A WordPress site doesn't need to have a menu & can be one page if you want it to be. A custom html template/site may well mean you need to hire someone or understand html5 & CSS3 to develop it in future.

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  5. Vin Jauhal

Vin Jauhal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 5
    Hi Karimobo, have a look at Sway

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 By: Vin Jauhal Member since: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Karimbo

1,730 176
    Thank you for the feedback. The plan was to just create a 1 page holding page in the interim. It was to create a one page site with some information on for a project.

I am averse to wordpress with these things. I have around 20 wordpress sites so wanted a basic html page so it requires no maintenance in the long run. Every so often I have to log in to these wordpress sites and maintain them.

However I have decided to just go with wordpress the WYSIWYG editor via admin is useful and themes just make my job 100 times easy and will cut my time down.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  7. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

647 188
    I stopped using Wordpress as a CMS a while back, mainly because I don't need a lot of the features, and was constantly having issues with end-users breaking things with plugins.

I now use Perch CMS which I'd recommend looking into for smaller sites. It's easy to retrofit into an existing site too if you understand PHP and HTML, so if you found a template you liked, in future you could have it running on Perch really quickly.

Not really what you were asking about I know, but it's a nice, easy way to manage content without completely bloating a site.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  8. Karimbo

1,730 176
    The benefit of Perch is that it's not used on half a billion different websites so it wont be a target for spammers and hackers.

But it does come at a cost, $65 per site!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  9. Paul Murray

Paul Murray UKBF Regular Free Member

647 188
    True, but it's a mere drop in the ocean and the funds ensure it's constantly updated and improved. A license fee is a barrier to entry for some people though, especially when everything is expected to be open source nowadays.

Bit, it's a really good system, and a developer license gets you 50 sites for about £50 per month if you do a lot (though I tend to just pass the license cost onto the client). Plus you can change the site attributed to the license at any time, and it's free to download and try on a local development environment.

Alternatively there's ModX, which I've heard good things about but never got the chance to try.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: Paul Murray Member since: Nov 24, 2011
  10. csavulescu

csavulescu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Theme forest have allot of HTML templates, do check them out!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: csavulescu Member since: Feb 16, 2018
  11. XombiCreative

XombiCreative UKBF Contributor Free Member

77 17
    Obviously you will need a site with both html/css.

can't post the link, but check out templated dot co

they have some nice free templates.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: XombiCreative Member since: Dec 20, 2017
  12. justinaldridge

justinaldridge UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

669 252
    If you are listing your business details and some info then just use the free website tool in Google My Business.

As long as your business is listed there you can select the website option and create your one page site.

[​IMG]

Google gives you their URL to use but you can also register a domain to use with it.

It's very quick and easy...and free :)

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  13. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,993 1,017
    download mobirise its free and dead simple to do clean looking websites

Posted: Feb 21, 2018 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  14. Karimbo

1,730 176
    Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  15. Xtm_Mike

Xtm_Mike UKBF Regular Free Member

441 101
    https://carrd.co/ Try this relatively new service, you can choose a template and see how your site might look before you even register, it's completely free but has some great pro features for $19/year, which is pretty much free, especially for what you get.

I'm yet to come across a builder as elegant as this. It's built by one guy as well.

The beauty of this is that if you pay for Pro you can download any templates you create as HTML sites to host elsewhere.

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: Xtm_Mike Member since: Dec 10, 2010
  16. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,367 1,755
    Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  17. Andrew_P

Andrew_P UKBF Contributor Free Member

34 2
    If you need a very simple, single static page it's not that hard to learn the basics of HTML language and just make it yourself using something like Notepad++

This has an advantage that you will be able to do what you want the way you want, in future too.

Although, imho, single static page won't be enough....

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: Andrew_P Member since: Mar 2, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.