Quiet months in retail high streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple-Vintage

Free Member
Apr 21, 2011
Hi there, we have had a shop since July and wondered if any long term retailers can tell me if there is a trend in slow months?

January has been very quiet and wondering if it's the same everywhere and most years?

What other months should I look out for?

Thank you in advance :)

TreatGarden

Free Member
Jan 27, 2012
Hi
Yes - January and February are generally very slow, which is why turnover (but not margin / profit obviously!) is bumped up by sales.
Where I live, August is also very slow as everyone leaves to go to their summer houses in France for the summer holidays (nice if you can get it!), but obviously August can be a great month if you're somewhere touristy.
All depends on what you're selling though.
Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Purple-Vintage

Free Member
Apr 21, 2011
Treat and Deniser thanks for your input. I sell vintage clothing.

Kulture, when I did my research there seemed to be a mixed response on here, Most people said January , november and august are slow.

We have budgeted on our business plan for the unexpected but when i did my research it was 8 months ago so thought id ask again based on peoples last year up to date figures.

Not taking a wage and just keeping all the turnover we get in our business account to allow for slow months so we are being sensible.

Upvote 0

kulture

Aug 11, 2007
www.kultureshock.co.uk
Treat and Deniser thanks for your input. I sell vintage clothing.

Kulture, when I did my research there seemed to be a mixed response on here, Most people said January , november and august are slow.

Thats fair enough. Each market has its own up and down months and it was impossible to accurately answer your initial post without knowing what you were selling. I will bow out as I know nothing about the seasonal nature of vintage clothing. I do not even know if it mirrors standard clothing shops, which have seasons ending in sales.

Upvote 0

simplesimon86

Free Member
Dec 2, 2011
Thats fair enough. Each market has its own up and down months and it was impossible to accurately answer your initial post without knowing what you were selling. I will bow out as I know nothing about the seasonal nature of vintage clothing. I do not even know if it mirrors standard clothing shops, which have seasons ending in sales.

unfortunatly, i think shops on the high street is a dieing trade.

its all about internet shopping - its cheaper its easier, its quicker - internet shopping percentage has seriously increased over the past 5 years - do you have an online shop?

if not its well worth investing in one and SEO.:)

Upvote 0
January is always pants for us too .... we've tried all sorts to get customers -Chinese New Year (we sold a few sky lanterns, money wallets etc); tartan thngs for Burns night, hand painted plaques with New Year Resolution type wording on and little blackboards where people can write whether they've achieved/failed to stick to it - we go big on our art & craft workshops in January as people often resolve to "learn something new" in a new year, but we haven't found the secret to success yet though!
Valentines will result in good card sales, we'v e got chocolates, teddies and lots of heart shaped things in stock and some schmultzy stuff on the make which we have yet to finish (no idea if they're going to sell of course!). It's a leap year this year of course so ladies could propose to their men if they want to .... haven't really worked out a brilliant plan to tap into this though.
Vintage fashion ..... love vintage stuff; you have an advantage over other clothes suppliers in some respects as people will have to act on impulse if they really like something as you probably won't have more than one, so you ought to make sure they realise that when they're browsing.
And vintage is big news at the moment, we are doing some vintage crockery and selling it on the "Tea with Grandma" idea ... people are loving that, I suppose when times are tough we tend to look at the past with our rose tinted specs and it makes us feel cosy; have you got any gorgeous friends who could model for you? Do a photo-shoot extoling the virtues of recycling/vintage chic, point out how unique your clothing is and that wearers will never find themselves at a party where someone else is wearing the same thing? Use old newspapers from the era of key pieces of clothing to add authenticity to what you are selling ... it is hard work trying to come up with ideas. Do you have good accessories? There's lots of vintage style jewellery available that might help bolster your profits
But, if it's any consolation, you are not alone (although I do realise that having company in your misery is not going to help pay the rent!) ....

Upvote 0
Considering the freezing cold weather I'm please to report that not only have I had the best Thursday of the week, I've also had the second best day of the month.

You just have to remain positive.

Well done Banned (still no gritted teeth smilie?) - it's been rubbish here today in Doodle land. :mad: Had a good few days from Saturday to Tuesday tho, and January this year was better than January last year (no snow though, which helped!)

Upvote 0
Well done Banned (still no gritted teeth smilie?) - it's been rubbish here today in Doodle land. :mad: Had a good few days from Saturday to Tuesday tho, and January this year was better than January last year (no snow though, which helped!)

Read it again and you will realise the gritted teeth are not required :p

It's been dog poo day today.

Upvote 0
Read it again and you will realise the gritted teeth are not required :p

It's been dog poo day today.
:redface:Just like business, I am a bit slow today ..... 2nd best day of the month sounded really impressive, wouldn't have twigged if you hadn't pointed it out! Now that I HAVE got it though ..........We've had the second worst day of the month today. Ho bloody hum..:redface:

Reactions: Banned
Upvote 0
:redface:Just like business, I am a bit slow today ..... 2nd best day of the month sounded really impressive, wouldn't have twigged if you hadn't pointed it out! Now that I HAVE got it though ..........We've had the second worst day of the month today. Ho bloody hum..:redface:

Isn't the 2nd best and 2nd worst the same on the 2nd? It's getting confusing now :p

I didn't want to really upset you and tell you we had the best January of the year as well :D

Positive thinking, aka denial

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't the 2nd best and 2nd worst the same on the 2nd? It's getting confusing now :p

I didn't want to really upset you and tell you we had the best January of the year as well :D

Positive thinking, aka denial
Um, yes, it is. We are having the best February of the year so far though .......... is it getting silly now?:|

Upvote 0

mhall

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Midlands
unfortunatly, i think shops on the high street is a dieing trade.

its all about internet shopping - its cheaper its easier, its quicker - internet shopping percentage has seriously increased over the past 5 years - do you have an online shop?

if not its well worth investing in one and SEO.:)

Here we go again..... it's cheaper, easier quicker, more prone to fraud, less condusive for building relationships, harder to find new customers who have no product knowledge, less personal. and on and on and on...

Reactions: grazzenger
Upvote 0

sirearl

Free Member
Apr 23, 2007
Kent
Here we go again..... it's cheaper, easier quicker, more prone to fraud, less condusive for building relationships, harder to find new customers who have no product knowledge, less personal. and on and on and on...

Are we to assume you do not have an online presence?

Earl

Upvote 0

mhall

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Midlands
Are we to assume you do not have an online presence?

Earl

I didn't say that, we do have an online presence but do not have a transactional website - been there, tried it, pulled it because it was only about competing on price, something we have never done, and don't need to do.

We use the internet a hell of a lot for targetting our customers and keeping them informed, but we do not go anywhere near selling on line, quite the reverse in fact as we activly encourage people to NOT shop on line.

Upvote 0
I didn't say that, we do have an online presence but do not have a transactional website - been there, tried it, pulled it because it was only about competing on price, something we have never done, and don't need to do.

We use the internet a hell of a lot for targetting our customers and keeping them informed, but we do not go anywhere near selling on line, quite the reverse in fact as we activly encourage people to NOT shop on line.

I'm curious, the products that are sold in your shop, are they available anywhere else, in a competitors retail shop or online ?

If you do not have to compete on price with any competition, as you state, you must have a very exclusive range of products.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu