Question on migrating from cpanel to cpanel

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Karimbo, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo Contributor

2,068 214
    Hi

Anyone know if I can migrate from one shared host to another, just by uploading all the contents of ftp from one host to another? So I can get all my emails, addon domain, ftp accounts, email accounts etc migrated along with the website and databases?

I'm getting no support from the hosting as it's a sunday. The cpanel backup and restore that's avaulable is for indibidual bits (website files, databases, email filters, email forwards), but not option for a full migration.

I will wait for the web host to get back to me on Monday. They include free migration - but no support on Sundays it seems.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. WESH.UK

WESH.UK Contributor

111 24
    Hiya Karimbo

Your new hosting company can and should be able to do a direct server-to-server transfer for you. No need for you to re-upload anything at all.

It should only take a few minutes too, depending on the size of your website.

We do these regularly, super easy and quick to do. No support on Sundays would indicate they are not a hosting company but a part-time reseller? Dont they provide telephone support so you can call them to ask, now?

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  3. Karimbo

Karimbo Contributor

2,068 214
    Hi Wesh

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at migrating to a company which I won't name. Perhaps I will edit this post after I get my 30 day money back guarantee refund.

They haven't answered the support tickets since about 4pm today. I fetched the full backup from my current host, uploaded it on root, and asked them to restore it and they haven't done so.

I looked through companies house and it does look like a one man band. with total asset on their balance sheet of around £3000, probably the cash in their bank.

My main reason for attempting to switch was cost. My current host increase their cost 3X. But the host is very reliable and fast. I can't fault it because I track uptimes on all my websites with site24x7.com and this host does come up with amazing uptimes and fast response.

I decided to bite the bullet and just pay them what they're asking for.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  4. WESH.UK

WESH.UK Contributor

111 24
    Wow, a 3x price hike is insane!

I hope they were able to justify that with 3x as much value and zero overselling and no slow servers?

Are they something unique or special or are trying to claim the cPanel cost increases have caused the price rise?

100% uptime is not hard.

Seems a lot of companies are trying to jack up prices now claiming "re-investment in the company" which make you wonder "What have they been doing with the money they already take?

I kicked off when Xero said they were increasing their prices by almost 10%, let alone a 3x price hike.

Posted: Jun 20, 2021 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  5. Spreadsheet Accountant

Spreadsheet Accountant Full Member

49 5
    Your new hosting company can and should be able to do a direct server-to-server transfer for you. No need for you to re-upload anything at all.

ditto. If you have WHM access that's where the transfer feature is.
    It's trivial to do.

As regards help/support I used to buy via a reseller, but now I licence direct from Cpanel and the difference is night and day. I have a problem, they log in and fix it for me. No more days and days spent learning how to do it for myself; far too many years doing that.

Anthony

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 By: Spreadsheet Accountant Member since: Jun 12, 2021
  6. Hooble

Hooble Full Member

22 1
    Hello,

There is two ways to migrate this either a full backup taken from the customers cPanel or using the server transfer feature. We run our own network and cloud environment with cpanel web hosting services available in both optimised for certain applications and general hosting.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 By: Hooble Member since: Apr 29, 2021