General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Product prototyping - in China?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by japancool, Nov 19, 2019.

1. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    Hi all,

It's been some time since I've been here. Things have gone downhill since I last posted here. Everything went belly up last year, both in business and my health.

So, time to pick myself up off the ground and get on with the next venture.

I have a product idea that I need to develop. It's a fabric mobile phone accessory, that doesn't incorporate technology in its basic form. I need to create prototpyes. My initial idea was to find a craftsman on Etsy to make it for me, but I can't really tell on there who is actually a UK based craftsman. A lot of them seem to be mass producers.

I suspect approaching a local product development company would cost too much.

So I'm thinking of prototyping in Chna with a view to manufacturing there. Volumes would be small to begin with.

But I have no experience in this area. Does anyone have any tips, experiences and advice?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,004 2,775
    You could ask on the forums there or you can email people.
    Alternatively you could try social media if you want someone capable of making a prototype if you want it made here.

Manufacturing in small volumes. Could be done anywhere? Even say in a small village?
    Other places besides China. Crafts people all over the world.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,536 1,293
    Manufacturing in China will depend on your volumes.

A good factory will be able to do the prototype, development, tooling, production and packaging.

It’s best to use one supplier for the whole process.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  4. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    The key question is - how to approach them, and cost.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,004 2,775
    More importantly - how do you find a good one?

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,536 1,293
    Feel free to contact me via the link in my website below.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  7. busowner987

busowner987 UKBF Regular Free Member

175 11
    I'm sure the samples will be fantastic! Shame when the container turns up though!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: busowner987 Member since: Aug 27, 2019
  8. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,249 314
    That's a risk of business. The usual recourse is to work with the supplier to rectify any faults; if not, take them to court.

(exit stage left, laughing hysterically)

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  9. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

322 111
    Alibaba is not your friend!

Dealing with China you need an agent and pay them commission.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  10. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

11,605 2,414
    What on earth is the problem with manufacturing in the UK where you can find plenty of companies, you can visit them, sign NDA's that mean something, have no worries about transport or exchange rates

I can guarantee that within say 40 odd miles you will find someone who is a seamstress, Machinist, Leather worker of any other fabric maker who will be more than willing to make samples and put you in touch with people who can make small quantities

If its leather then PM me and I can put you in touch of some small companies as its my hoddy, if its cloth fabric then the midlands especially nottingham and to a lesser degree London there are hundreds of small companies, If its Canvas or other heave material then most coastal towns will have somebody working with that material

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  11. prophet01

prophet01 UKBF Regular Free Member

261 78
    The main body of my, now UK patented, invention is a special, mesh fabric which needed to be professionally stitched to the right shape/size/finish.

I took the fabric to a local clothes repair shop and explained precisely what I wanted doing. The lovely eastern european woman told me to come back in 30 minutes. The finish was better than I'd ever imagined it would be, so professional. When I asked the cost she said it only took her 5 minutes to do so, £2. I very gratefully gave her £10.

If your product is simply fabric I don't, on the face of it, see why you couldn't do what I did.

Posted: Nov 25, 2019 By: prophet01 Member since: Dec 19, 2012
  12. Yolanda666

Yolanda666 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    We can have a quick talk and after having a rough idea of your prototype, I can help you find factories to make it.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 By: Yolanda666 Member since: Apr 2, 2020