Please Help - Shipment Seized by Trading Standards!!

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Applefruitcake, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Applefruitcake

Applefruitcake UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem. Two months ago, I had a shipment sent from China to UK. I have now received an email by Trading Standards asking me to provide proof of conformity and Fire safety standards test. Is this standard procedure? Does anyone know where I can get these tests done. I'm really worried as it is a high value shipment.

I would appreciate any kind of help. Thank you

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: Applefruitcake Member since: Apr 13, 2021
  2. Frank the Insurance guy

Frank the Insurance guy UKBF Regular Full Member

265 60
    I suggest you ask the manufacturer in China and take it from there.

What does the contract with the supplier say about meeting uk standards, tests etc?

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
  3. Applefruitcake

6 0

Hi, thank you so much for your help. I used an agent so I had no contact with the supplier. I admit this is my fault because I am inexperienced I assumed the shipping agent will sort out everything. The agent is saying that they cannot provide these documents, I can only get them in the UK. I have no idea if this is true as I found limited information online.

4. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Ace Free Member

1,078 233
    Did you not check to make sure the items conformed to all UK regs before purchasing as above you will have to hope your supplier in China has all the necessary documents you require

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Frank the Insurance guy

Frank the Insurance guy UKBF Regular Full Member

265 60
    What did the contract with the agent say? I suspect that they may have small print saying you are responsible for any regulations/certification etc. If that is the case, be prepared to never see your shipment, sorry!

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: Frank the Insurance guy Member since: Oct 28, 2020
  6. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,374 900
    The lesson here is make sure your products meet all the requires standards BEFORE your first big shipment of them arrives!

Short of you being able to get one of them over here and tested before Trading Standards destroys the shipment, it's probably gone.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  7. WaveJumper

1,078 233
    I fear this is not going to end well, and one of those times I wish they had found the forum much earlier

8. Applefruitcake

6 0
    Thank you, yes I have now realised that I made a big mistake. I forgot to mention that the supplier did actually supply two certificates but trading standards are now asking for a 3rd certificate for fire safety standards regulations of 1988.

Please does anyone have any experiences of this? Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Thank you

9. Applefruitcake

6 0
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I do actually have some samples, but I have no idea where to search for testing

10. WaveJumper

1,078 233
    The fire safety regs are very comprehensive and as you have found out to your cost they are enforced by trading standards.

On the face of it there are likely only several options open to you. Try to get the certificate through your supplier or go straight to the manufacture failing all this (and depending on the value of the items) would be to ask for trading standards advice on the possibility of arranging to get the articles tested yourself.

They may from experience already know the items would not pass or at least be able to advice on where you need to take some samples but I fear this could be quite expensive. They need to be carried out by a UKAS accredited laboratory.

Have a chat with trading standards i really do wish you the best of luck

11. WaveJumper

1,078 233
  12. Applefruitcake

6 0

13. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,146 3,467
    In business don't assume. Make sure its in the contract or else look to have that aspect done by someone else.
    Even if its in the contract does not always mean it will be done.

Trading standards destroy a lot of dangerous goods each year. If you can't get what they demand then you may lose your goods.
    Still, that tends to be less problematic than burning a house down.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

547 73
    Won’t hurt to ask Trading Standards where you can get the required tests done.
    Or pop into your local fire station and see if they can advise.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  15. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Free Member

5,656 1,341
    Are they requesting UKFR certification?

This covers furniture which includes upholstery to ensure they conform to UK requirements, as well as correct labelling.

If your supplier/agent does not have this certificate as well as the products not having the correct labelling (2 are required, one sewn on the product) then it's unlikely the shipment will be released.

Generally for furniture products which include upholstery, you must ensure they conform to UKFR regulations and a factory will charge a little extra to have the tests done (it includes a spray over the foam.

See the following link:

https://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/

If it's not furniture that includes upholstery, then we need more information.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  16. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,776 1,292
    There could be a get out. There are products you can treat risk items with and you can in some industries, self-certificate. In theatre for example, you can treat drapes and scenery with a product, have it applied as per manufacturer guidance by a competent person, records produced and job done. These items can be sold, with the treatment to cover it. I have no idea if this could be done to your items. The certificates prove little, and trading standards can send one for testing even if you have the paper. The critical feature is the question are they safe. You need to prove they are, they just want proof it is safe.
    How much value is in your shipment? The fact they seized them on arrival means the product was flagged as a risk? What is the item that they consider dangerous? If it’s something they already have concerns over, treatment could be a snag. You can’t treat the inside, for example.

so many items from China have dubious safety standards. Many pass a test, but feature very bad safety design. So they’re safe, until they aren’t. How many of us see the certificates and take them as real?

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  17. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Free Member

5,656 1,341
    Agree.

It's important to have a few samples tested from your batch production to ensure compliance.

Not to, is false economy as the OP is finding out.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  18. Applefruitcake

6 0
    Thank you everyone for your useful suggestions. The items are various different homeware goods which makes it even more difficult as I will need to test each variety. The cost of all the goods is just over £5,000 (not including shipping costs which was also significant or potential retail value) I will try anything possible but I'm not feeling very hopeful at the moment. I guess I will need to take it as a very painful learning experience.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 By: Applefruitcake Member since: Apr 13, 2021
  19. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,776 1,292
    An engineer friend of mine really hates the designs where the low voltage to the devices runs really close to the mains power - maybe a mm or two - so the normal separation between in and out is compromised. When they work, they are fine, when they fail, they become life threatening.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  20. Red Wood

Red Wood UKBF Regular Free Member

656 74
    What products are they. I have alot of experience with fire performance categories and testing. As mentioned above, you may be able to self certify (self declaration), but without additional information on exactly what your products are I don't know if I can apply my knowledge to your situation.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014