Opening a Buy Sell Trade shop

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Steven Maund, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven Maund

Steven Maund UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Hi all, currently I work part time alongside reselling on ebay.

I source my stock from auctions, charity shops, facebook and car boots.

I would like to open a buy, sell, trade shop, similar to cash converters, only without the loans.

I would then sell whatever I buy on ebay and have it in the shop.

There is no were in my town that does this, so I think it would do well.

Will I be facing any legalities by doing this?

Do I need some sort of licence for this sort of business? Bearing in mind I am not putting anything on loan, or issuing loans.

Is there anything I should be made aware of?

Thank you for any feedback.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 By: Steven Maund Member since: Feb 13, 2017
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,404 649
    Well, you need to be sure you're not handling stolen goods, i.e. that anyone selling items to you is entitled to do so.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

14,772 3,142
    You may need a second hand trader licence. Check with your local council.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  4. Steven Maund

6 1
    Yes I was thinking about this, is it a case were I have to accept two forms of id for every sale, how would I know that something is stolen? It would be ideal if there was some sort of book on opening a pawn shop type of business. I feel that there is a lot of things I need to apply for and abide by, not sure where I can get all of this information from.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 By: Steven Maund Member since: Feb 13, 2017
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,169 1,553
    Used to be a number of shops doing this years ago. Haven't seen one in around 5 years.
    I know a number of traders did online versions of that, taking a percentage and having the risk but able to catalogue and price something better than your average householder.
    There was a company - a year or more ago I think - who were doing this and advertising on various forums. May even have been an ebay company itself.

Still if its going to make enough to cover the shop, the advertising, the staff, the packaging, postage, storage etc then go for it.
    May take a while to expand big enough - ideally have a year or two worth of financial backing to get the shop working.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. Brennerz

Brennerz UKBF Regular Free Member

143 19
    Business in general is hard enough trying to stock what people want locally to you, it becomes even harder when you have to rely on people having available to sell to you/trade what other people are looking to buy. How can you control how good your stock is? You will probably end up having some core products which you will always stock.

I'm not saying don't do it because of course it could pay off to be really profitable. But before you do start, ask yourself what you want from it and where you want it to go. How much will you need to sell to pay yourself a decent wage (if that is what you want.)

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 By: Brennerz Member since: Apr 9, 2013
  7. Mr D

14,169 1,553
    So could be made to work as something over and above some core wholesale purchases that are sold at fixed price perhaps?

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Steven Maund

6 1
    In my opinion, even though it's classed as a buy and sell, the shop will be used more for people to sell their unwanted goods, well I think so anyway. As for having the stock on the shelves, I have enough resources to fill the shelves. Everything will also be listed on ebay, to be honest I am not really fussed if anyone buys anything in the shop, as my sales will be on ebay. The rent for the shop that I am thinking of starting this up is £50 a week with all bills included, so the overheads are very minimal.

I just need to make sure that I am fully legal in this sort of business, I wish to do everything by the book.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 By: Steven Maund Member since: Feb 13, 2017
  9. Mr D

14,169 1,553
    Rent £50. Insurance, storage, a place to pack, staff even? If you are in the shop dealing with a customer you are not dealing with ebay packing.
    Stock control software?
    Advertising
    Security
    Health & safety
    Fire
    Shelving

Probably costs I haven't mentioned. You need to cover all those extra costs including the £50 rent from your extra sales. Not your sales, the extra sales - or else the shop is a drain on your business.

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,012 853
    Insurance
    Business rates
    Utilities
    Maintenance.
    Legal fees

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  11. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,816 281
    You might ask for receipts, but who keeps receipts?

You might well be a beacon for stolen goods, so you need to work out how you are going to be able to identify bonafide sellers from robbers.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011
  12. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,012 853
    <quote: removed post>

And quite happy to take money from someone who clearly hasn't thought through their business?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    Posted: Feb 16, 2017 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  13. LeightonC

LeightonC UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Thats the job of a con man..

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 By: LeightonC Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  14. japancool

3,404 649
    Gosh, with all this negativity, I wonder how on earth companies like CEX manage to stay in business? If only they'd read this thread before they started up.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  15. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

300 86
    To the OP.....yes, it can be done. To find out exactly how compliance works, take an old piece of kit into your local CEX or Cash Converters and sell it to them. See what they ask for.

Make sure you know the costs of keeping/maintaining your shop up front so you don't get any surprises. There are some incredibly negative and naive and inexperienced people on this forum offering opinions, which you can safely ignore. e.g. not all shop lets need to have legal fees, not all shop units pay business rates etc, so treat the negativity with a pinch of salt. Work out the costs, do some sums and decide.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  16. Mark Burch

Mark Burch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi

We are in the process of trying to source a route to sell unwanted returned goods. We run an international returns handling business and some items are not wanted back by sellers and we have arrangement in place to sell these on. We do not have the time or a physical store to do this so there could be a mutual benefit here so naturally I think it is a good idea despite some of the negative points raised although potentially valid.

Also I used to run a small chain of retail shops so am happy to provide any advice having been there before in dealing with premises, etc.

Regards
    Mark - Ezi Returns

Posted: Feb 17, 2017 By: Mark Burch Member since: Jun 1, 2015
  17. admissionbangalore

admissionbangalore UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Entrepreneurs new to wholesaling often fear approaching their suppliers because they mistakenly believe that wholesalers will only trade with established, fairly large retailers.
    Happily, this is not the case. You don’t need to have a shop or even be in charge of an office full of staff to buy from a wholesaler. They are as happy to sell to sole traders as they are to large corporations.
    By their very nature, almost all wholesalers will state they are for ‘trade only’, but if you plan to buy stock and sell it on, you are technically a trader – you don’t need to have a limited company behind you to be eligible. Wholesalers are mostly ‘trade only’ for the benefits accrued from their manufacturers, for tax purposes and, of course, to set them apart from high street stores.

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 By: admissionbangalore Member since: Feb 18, 2017
  18. japancool

3,404 649
    You have totally misunderstood what he means by "trade".

Either that, or you're spamming.

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  19. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

300 86
    FTFY

Posted: Feb 18, 2017 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.