General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Nine Telecom vs. Optimum Calls, where do I stand?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by HiRiseHarry, Jan 11, 2016.

1. poolman

poolman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    Hi Claire F - have done a bit of research this morning. First my IP address is still the same and the Broadband still via Plusnet which has been very good for last 4 years - was rubbish when first signed up for first few months and then very reliable after change using Plusnet and still good today.
    It would seem that the documents were filed yesterday and can be viewed from companies house today. The new Company in Manchester seems to be Unicom and owning company Verarstar Ltd 3667643. Sounds like a substantial company.
    The directors of Business coms resigned last week (filed yesterday) and the new directors are also listed at Verastar - looking like problems may be over or at least improvements look more promising.

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Claire F

Claire F UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    Hi Poolman, thanks for the update and information. I can't say that I am overjoyed to find myself under the Unicom umbrella - but at least it might stop them from ringing up and asking us to change to them! That would also explain why yesterday when the 'Premier Calls' contact was reading me a standard paragraph he mentioned Unicom. I asked about this and was advised that it was a standard paragraph and that he could read it again saying Premier Calls and it would be just the same - clearly it would as they are now one and the same company! I just wish they would be honest and upfront about what has been going on. I will let the dust settle, but may look to move our internet services over to someone else, as I am not very happy about the way that this has been handled and we - the customers - have been kept in the dark. I never like dealing with businesses that have that type of approach - it doesn't build mutual trust. The only time we had problems with Premier Calls prior to this was when we upgraded to fibre - that was a bit of a nightmare, but apart from that the service has been reliable, although the internet speeds are not impressive, but that might be at least in part to our location. I guess it will be a case of waiting until the current contract ends and seeing what they offer next.

Posted: Mar 10, 2016 By: Claire F Member since: Mar 9, 2016
  3. poolman

17 0
    Oh Dear! - Just received a letter from Premier Calls of Hemel Hempstead this morning, no mention of takeover by Unicom of Manchester which was over a week ago now.
    Continual improvement etc want to upgrade my broadband using advanced diagnostic tools and services. Will supply new router, username and password.
    Been very happy with broadband for the last 4 years and not looking forward to any changes.
    Will wait to see what happens next.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  4. Claire F

19 0
    Hi Poolman, that is not good - I hate it when businesses are not honest. I can't get through on Premier Calls' 0845 number this morning - it just says it has not been recognised.Not getting a good feeling about this. Still not restored our fixed IP address despite three calls about it now. Time to look at alternatives I think....

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 By: Claire F Member since: Mar 9, 2016
  5. Claire F

19 0
    Just for info - Premier Calls customer service number is 'no longer recognised' their sales number is just on hold and you can't get an answer from Unicom either - they claim they answer every call in 6 seconds - but then they put you on hold indefinitely. I don't feel that these are good signs.

6. Claire F

19 0
    Hi Poolman, just a final (I think!) update. I did finally get through on the Premier Calls number. They have now given us a fixed IP address (although not to the original one). Apparently we have been moved from Plusnet as the broadband provider to Talktalk. It will be interesting to see how that works out. I did say that I was not impressed with the way this had been handled and that I think Premier Calls need to contact all their customers to explain what has happened to restore some confidence in them. So we'll see if that gets fed back. The guy I dealt with was very apologetic and has offered some compensation for the hassle, so that was good. Hope things work out for you, but it may be worth ringing them and just saying that you know about the Unicom take over and want to know exactly why they are offering to change you and what this will mean to your service. Hope it goes well.

7. poolman

17 0
    Hi Claire F - Been out all day today so haven't had a chance to phone anybody.
    Thanks for all your info but I'm now quite concerned about latest developments. Just tried their website (Premier) but that has now vanished and after all the grief I had at home just over a year ago with broadband supplied by "The Post Office" which came via Tiscali which is part of talktalk. It seems that they can transfer you off the BT Openreach network quite easily but another provider can have great difficulty getting the line back again. Will report back shortly.

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  8. poolman

17 0
    Website came back again later on Monday night. Phoned this morning and they were insisting they were Premier and denying any take over etc. After quite a few heated minutes conversation was passed to a different department and did start admitting the true position that they are in Manchester and that Premier had been taken over by Verastar and eventually managed to extract that the Broadband is being transferred to the TalkTalk network next week. I'm quite adamant I don't want TalkTalk and he is just as adamant that it is going ahead anyway and it's going to be a wonderful service! I've asked that the position be put in writing in an email - nothing received to far. Must have been on the phone for around an hour, including about 25 mins of him phoning me back. Not at all happy.

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  9. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,406 649
    Tell me something - how much were the bills that you received from Nine Telecom for December and January for? And how much would they normally have been?

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  10. poolman

17 0
    Bill was for approx £80. Call charges were for December from 12th (less than 3 weeks) and covering Christmas period so were just over £3 +VAT about a £1 or so over charged and the line rental and free caller display about £14+Vat overcharged plus loyalty/previous overcharge credit of £15 +Vat per month

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  11. japancool

3,406 649
    So overall, you're about £30 worse off?

Unless you're particularly unhappy with the actual quality of the calls, why not just pay and get on with it? It's still the same service going over the same network.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  12. poolman

17 0
    Why pay an extra £30 for something just a couple of months after getting the company to charge the original agreed amounts. Historically I have been paying a higher charge for the calls and it was not worth the time each month phoning them for the £3 or so excess credits. They agreed the original charges but gave an extra £15 month discount for 3 months to offset some of the previous historic overcharges, 2 months into new contract and already paying more than before for line rental and calls and lost the £15 discount.
    Part of the agreement was for the Broadband to continue with current supplier but have received letter saying it's being upgraded. After many denials, upgrade was acutally a transfer to the Talktalk network. Having suffered a year of their services at home I do not wish to repeat the experience and painful service again. A key reason as to why I renewed contract with Premier was specifically promised that Broadband would continue through Plusnet as it had for almost 4 years previously, excellent reliability.

13. japancool

3,406 649
    How much time have you already spent on this and how much do you value your time?

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  14. poolman

17 0
    Far too much time at present but doing it to save time later on when I can least afford it.
    Perhaps I should mention that Unicom are at number 8 in the ofcom league tables for complaints. Their last fine was in October 2015 £200,000. In the Which? broadband suppliers TalkTalk do come out quite near the bottom while plusnet are nearer the top for Service etc.
    Why should I risk poor service and almost certain problems later on. We had a very good track record with current supplier so why change?

15. Verastar Ltd

Verastar Ltd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    In response to comment surrounding Premier Calls in recent days. We would like to confirm that Verastar Ltd have finalised the purchase of Premier Calls parent company, Business Comms Solution Ltd.

Verastar appreciate that this has been a confusing time for Premier Calls customers and we thank you for your patience. You will continue to be serviced and invoiced by Premier Calls.

Whilst we aim to continue to deliver an outstanding service during this period we understand there may be questions or issues. We will endeavour to answer or resolve these as swiftly as possible via our customer services: phone 0845 241 4668.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Posted: Mar 17, 2016 By: Verastar Ltd Member since: Mar 17, 2016
  16. poolman

17 0
    Hi everyone - good to see Verastar taking an interest.
    Just tried phoning them but had another call after 10 minuets so never actually got to talk to anyone. Can't remember waiting even 30 seconds with the old "owners" calls usually answered and talking to someone in less than 10 rings.

Just received new phone bill - now got Fraud Defender for £1.
    I think it must be to replace Fraud Aware which was agreed not to charge.
    Bill is very hard to check as no itemised call charges just headings like UK non geographic 10 calls 12.16 duration £1.38 - seems a lot of calls for a credit card machine but no details of when calls were made. Had problems in the past where one call can cost over £5+VAT made in the early hours when no one is around - not bad when no telephone is plugged into the line!
    Did get one £15 loyalty credit on bill so did get that bit right!

Not heard any more about broadband switch, Jack from Unicom/Verastar/Premier promised to send confirmation email of points outlined during phone call on Tuesday but nothing received so far.

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  17. Claire F

19 0
    Hi Poolman, I agree that the new bill is not as clear as before and the £50 discount promised for all the hassle we had has not materialised yet either. I am really unhappy with all of this - such as waste of all our time - and now to cap it all Nine Telecom are sending letters threatening court action if we don't pay all the money they demanded. I am seeking advice from FSB. Will let you know how that goes. Will also ask if we are automatically released from contract if the supplier is bought out. Have you paid anything to Nine yet?

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 By: Claire F Member since: Mar 9, 2016
  18. japancool

3,406 649
    Then let them take you to court. They have no contract with you and no leg to stand on.

Posted: Mar 29, 2016 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  19. poolman

17 0
    Hi Claire F - been a bit busy last few days so not really been able to catch up. Update so far is Broadband migrated last week, had problems with line on credit card machine then Broadband (same line) went down. Phoned premier number but got the now usual message of higher number of calls than usual etc and eventually gave up and phoned Jack from "customer resolutions" He's not technical but between us were up and running quickly.
    Later found reason security camera system not working due to lack of static IP address so again another 10+ minutes of raspy music and gave up and phoned Jack. Very helpful and problem quickly sorted and back up running next morning. Also mentioned the upload speed only half what it used to be but download same as before change (minor niggle) Today did a check and speed is actually faster than before (about 20%) and upload also now a bit better than when first changed. So far customer service has been terrible but Jack has certainly saved the day for me and avoided disaster - Thanks!
    Also got the threatening letter from Nine, didn't realise it was 2 bills so was quite a bit more than I first thought. Need to look a bit closer to see what the all over charges really are.

Posted: Mar 31, 2016 By: poolman Member since: Jan 13, 2016
  20. Claire F

19 0
    Hi Poolman, glad you've got things resolved. I have also been in communication with Jack and he has resolved the £50 credit situation for us, so that is good :) He must be a busy guy as he seems to be sorting all customer queries!
    I have spoken to the FSB legal people and they are aware of the issues and seem to be advising people to go to Ofcom if you are not happy with paying Nine, as there is no contractual obligation to do so. I have already paid what I felt was reasonable (equivalent to what I would have paid Premier Calls, calculated using Nine's lowest contract charges) by cheque in 'full and final settlement'. They have cashed the cheque and so have accepted the payment. As such they can't now request more. In fact when I looked through the figures we were only out by £6.90 because they sent me a credit note in February reducing the broadband charge they had billed from £101.97 to £34.74. However they seem to have overlooked this in their latest communication and are asking for the full amount (an additional £75 or so). After talking to the FSB legal people I have decided to write back saying that they have accepted the full and final payment and any more contact would be taken as harassment and reported to Ofcom. I hope that will be the last of it. I also asked the FSB if our contract with Premier Calls is still valid and he said yes - so they have until November to get our trust back!

Posted: Mar 31, 2016 By: Claire F Member since: Mar 9, 2016