New Business: Xero or QuickBooks Online?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Reens80, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Reens80

Reens80 UKBF Newcomer

8 0
    Hi

I am taking over a take away business in the UK, and whilst I am not an accountant, I plan on doing 80-90% of the book keeping myself. I previously did this for another online business using Xero, and just used my accountant for ad hoc requests, initial set up, VAT and final year accounts.

I have never used Quick Books but heard it is easier to use for the business owner. As a total newbie for a takeaway business would you recommend QBO or Xero? And have you been able to set this up yourself? I am reasonably ok in understanding balance sheet, chart of accounts and P&L etc.

Thanks for your help and advise

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: Reens80 Member since: Jul 26, 2021
  2. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

1,089 259
    Anything but QBO will do! QBO must be one of the worst accounting software there is with a bug list longer than the bible.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  3. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    Xero gets my vote

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  4. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline Full Member
    Contributor

13,593 2,579
    Out of the two I think you'll find Xero is better although neither are systems I support. If you want a good accountant who uses Xero Rebecca at Spur Support Services is worth getting in contact with.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  5. NicoJ

NicoJ Contributor

379 72
    Also, there are other softwares available.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: NicoJ Member since: Mar 27, 2017
  6. WaveJumper

WaveJumper Contributor

2,044 517
    I also meant to add, I assume you have an accountant, check what systems they use if they have all their clients on one particular system you may well get reduced rates on the software

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  7. Spur Support Services

Spur Support Services Full Member
    Contributor

326 68
    Xero. Love it.

If you're accountant previously advised Xero, then they should be able to offer advice and support in setting up Xero for your new business.

My focus is always on helping my clients use Xero better by just giving them a few pointers to guide them.

Just like you said, I prefer my clients to perform 80-90% of the bookkeeping, but I like to help them find that 80-90% as easy as possible.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 By: Spur Support Services Member since: Aug 21, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1