Making & Selling Soup

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by lequave, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lequave

lequave UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    Evening All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on making & selling fresh soup to local businesses. I'm not after recipe ideas as I've got that covered. I'm thinking more along the lines of the best way to package it and advice on how long it would keep for in a chilled vending machine bearing in mind that I wonÂ’t be using preservatives?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks - Colin

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 By: lequave Member since: Jan 3, 2010
  2. Mayfield Electrical

Mayfield Electrical UKBF Newcomer Free Member

65 8
    Hi Colin,

Without preservatives I would say that a maximum of 24hrs shelf life.(not an expert so don't quote)

Why not approach local cafe/takeaways and arrange fresh deliveries every morning.

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 By: Mayfield Electrical Member since: Jan 10, 2010
  3. papverpoppies

papverpoppies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,713 2,214
    Depending on the ingredients and what temperature you store at certainly no longer than that.

Also, soup is only really a cold weather item..cannot see you selling much in the Summer.

But I do agree that home made soup with crusty bread is wondeful!

You would have to make sure though that everything was spot on, with the no preservative, and storage, one ill person and you would be in real trouble.

Good Luck

Poppy

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Posted: Jan 27, 2010 By: papverpoppies Member since: Apr 8, 2009
  4. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,948 245
    Silly, it could be frozen! - great idea though :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Posted: Jan 28, 2010 By: BusinessIdeas Member since: Aug 23, 2006
  5. MrsF

MrsF Guest

0 0
    Depends where you are making it too, you can't just set up in your home kitchen, too many bureaucrats would be down on you like a ton of bricks.

Health and safety officers could give you some ideas though, have you tried asking them their opinion?

Are you a chef? do you even have any health and hygiene certificates? just a few more things to consider getting under your belt if you haven't already.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 By: MrsF Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. BusinessIdeas

BusinessIdeas UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,948 245
    I think that you can 'just set up in your home kitchen' actually; and from other threads on the forum I have seen previously I gather that it isnt too difficult if you talk to the local council.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 By: BusinessIdeas Member since: Aug 23, 2006
  7. benjamin_c

benjamin_c UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

865 112
    this is true, i believe levi roots started in his kitchen :) you have to get some permit saying that your kitchen meets the regs, but that's it i think :) you would need to source packaging too :) something like tetra pack or similar :)

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 By: benjamin_c Member since: Jun 3, 2009
  8. poochieparlour

poochieparlour UKBF Newcomer Free Member

76 3
    If you want to invest some money in this, you could keep the self life at 4-5 days, if you buy a vacuum packing machine and bags, they are arond 4K all up, but they will benefit you in the long run, as it takes all there air out and therefor delays spoilage

Also, there are chilled soups you can do so its not just a winter thing, summery soups are lovely too.

If you need advice on the machine I mean, just ask... they are not cheap but certainly worth the money

Posted: Jan 30, 2010 By: poochieparlour Member since: Nov 19, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.