Lost delivery - what's your procedure?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by kevin.doran, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,887 340
    Had a parcel go missing that was due on Thursday but still hadn't turned up for an event taking place that night on the Saturday. I finally tracked it down at 11am at a Parcelforce depot 15 miles from the customer, but he was setting up the venue so couldn't collect. I arranged a Taxi pick up and explained that he would have no calling card but that I would take any comeback.

Put a claim in to Parcelforce and was refunded the cost of delivery and Taxi fare. Can't knock that.

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  2. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,855 291
    What ID did the taxi driver show at the depot?

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  3. Lucan Unlordly

1,887 340
    He didn't.

Fortunately the depot manager had the sense to realise that the likelihood of an account customer some 260 miles away going to the lengths of ordering a Taxi collection for local delivery, was very unusual so he was happy to accept the email trail as some assurance.

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  4. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,513 649
    It depends on the customer...some a gruff, some easy going...as I say, I push it as long as I can *but* I'm finely tuned into the Customer's stance ...I don't push it with the ones who are coming across as irritated for the reasons you mention! If they come in all guns flailing & exceptionally rude ...I figure I'll be getting negative feedback anyway, so there's not much to lose by making those types wait!

Majority of my Customers are nice, easy going & fully understand that these are challenging times, so are prepared to cut me a bit of slack while the couriers get their act together.

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  5. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,025 210
    I've never got an acknowledgement for a refund application from RM, I sent off their stupidly long form twice and they didn't even bother to reply. I guess they will claim it was "lost in the post".

I have been on the receiving end of a customer lost form. Someone sold something to me and it didn't arrive and I as the customer had to fill in a form sent to me by royal mail to send details of it. This is where the problem lies, it's one of those forms you look at and just think "I can't do this now, I'll do it later". So you never get round to filling it up and sending it back to RM and therefore seller never gets the refund from RM.

Call me cynical but I feel this was intended to make the refund process so elongated and stop from paying out.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  6. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,582 1,998
    In this situation when there is a deadline always offer your customer the option of a sameday delivery to avoid any potential problems
    Never assume that the customer is not willing to pay for a dedicated delivery when it is against the clock

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  7. Lucan Unlordly

1,887 340
    You don't know my customers Jeremy ;) Also this was 260 miles away so how much would that have cost?
    To be fair to Parcelforce and with a degree of acceptance that it's an industry where mistakes can happen, they've not really *let us down badly in over 15 years. I'd suggest the main reason for that is that a lot of their drivers have been with them for years and if there is a problem you can, with a bit of patience, speak to somebody at the relevant depot.

*Delivering a parcel to a Glasgow address that should have gone to Block 4 flat 5, but was mistakenly dropped off at Block 5 flat 4 - the local drugs den - was a challenge, but the intended recipient ran an MMA/Kickboxing academy:D

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  8. DontAsk

1,855 291
    My one experience of an international tracked parcel was very positive. Paid up within a few days of claim (the stated time is up to 30 days, or was it 90?).

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. Noob Business Girl

Noob Business Girl UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 1
    If the customer kicks up a fuss, I refund. I had one customer wait 10 days for their Royal Mail parcel to arrive and it never did apparently, although there are Royal Mail delays right now so wouldn't be surprised if they receive it weeks later.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  10. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,025 210
    You can test the integrity of a person in these scenarios, do they come forward when they receive the package after they receive the refund. I was pleasantly surprised when someone did that to me - it restored my faith in humanity that I just gave the item to them for free even though they wanted return it (bought item elsewhere).

It really is down to how much the item is worth. I'm lucky in that I sell an item with about 900% markup. So I can take the losses easily. I'll gladly offer to resend the item again with special delivery at my expense. If they refuse and want a refund it would be quite suspicious.

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  11. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    It's been about 2 weeks so either they've received it and haven't reached out to me or they are still waiting for it. I unfortunately sent it untracked (now I've amended this so I send tracked only) but they also sent me about 3 angry emails all in CAPITAL LETTERS. Bit of a keyboard warrior as I did a search and found out they're a teenager/early 20s. o_O

12. DontAsk

1,855 291
    If it's a small parcel posted at the post office you have a tracking number on the certificate of posting. Its 16 characters with dashes between groups of 4 characters. Just enter this on then usual RM tracking page. It's not quite as good as a "signed for" but it gives basic info like delivered, delivery failed awaiting collection at the depot, not delivered yet.

I don't know how it works if you purchased postage on-line. Presumably you still get a cert. of posting.

I always rely on this, rather than pay for signed for, within the UK and have saved a small fortune on tracked post. Very few parcels are total loss. Maybe I have a better customer demographic :)

13. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    Thanks for this.

I post at a delivery office (post office queue's are too long and I buy postage online) and they do not provide a receipt for dropped off parcels, just stamping the certificate of posting so I've had to use signed for unfortunately!

14. JEREMY HAWKE

5,582 1,998
    £340 to you Sir
    Would that be card or bacs:):):cool:

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. DontAsk

1,855 291
    I know a little more now. If you drop off a parcel at our local PO with a pre-paid label, they don't stamp the certificate posting, they scan the parcel label and give you a printed cert. of posting. It doesn't however, have the same sort of reference number I referred to, just a barcode ID (presumably from the label). No idea if this can be used in some way for free tracking.

16. Lucan Unlordly

1,887 340
    LOL, the order was for £200.
    Do you accept Woolworths vouchers?

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  17. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    If it's untracked, there is no reference number if you have a pre-paid label via delivery office.

I think your method regarding bar code only applies to items without postage label via post office.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  18. JEREMY HAWKE

5,582 1,998
    You have really set something off talking about lost deliveries :):)
    Unbelievable !

I have just opened an email about a missing bed !
    We have not had any beds go through for ages as we dont want to do them !

I look further job booked at the beginning of 2017 and this is the next thing we hear 4 years later
    The customer is talking like it is at the top of the list after four years !
    Four years to decide that it is missing
    If it went missing then where do I start now

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  19. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    How do you lose a bed...after 4 years? o_O:eek: How will you respond?

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  20. JEREMY HAWKE

5,582 1,998
    I wont Ralph will :):):)

First we have to establish exactly why they did not report it when it did not arrive after a week
    We will have an invoice if they are a customer

We have some things that have been hanging around for donkeys years These are blocked in by a massive long term storage job and the customer is stuck in Australia and I dont know when they will be back . I dont want to pull all this out until it is ready to be dispatched
    I may have to get a gang together on a quiet day and pull everything out and see if we have an invisible bed :)

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008