Looking for a reliable UK web host.

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by jexx, Nov 1, 2019.

1. jexx

jexx UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Hi

I've been with TSOHosts for several years but have found there support over the last few months has become really bad so I'm thinking of moving away.

My requirements are quite simple.

Hosting 3 personal domains.
    10/20GB Storage ( i keep some firmware files on here to make access easier for clients)
    SSL Lets Encrypt Support
    Standard Plain text FTP support ( needed for one specific application)
    Email / Spam Filtering etc.

Any suggestions ?
    Cost is important, but so is reliability.
    Thanks

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: jexx Member since: Jun 1, 2011
  2. jacobc

jacobc UKBF Regular Full Member

244 43
    Hi,

Your requirements are quite standard apart from the plain text FTP as many hosts won't have that enabled now by default as it is not secure. I would suggest you would need a managed VPS for this and then it can be configured to allow plain text FTP. This is something we could help with if it was of interest. Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards

Jacob

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: jacobc Member since: Jan 28, 2012
  3. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

We've seen many similar complaints about TSOHost, for several years now, but it's only got worse since Host Europe Group who acquired TSOHost, was acquired by GoDaddy.

Thankfully moving to a new provider is easy, and any decent host will do this free of charge for you, with no downtime or interruption to service.

TSOHost do make this harder because unless you're on a legacy cPanel account from one of their acquisitions, you'll be using their proprietary Gridhost control panel.

So many larger hosts likely wouldn't do the manual migration free of charge for you. However other providers such as us would be happy to.

If you do a search on the forums then you should find plenty of recommendations for a good UK web host, that provides proper UK support.

Regarding your requirements, you don't need a VPS, which will cost significantly more because of the licensing costs.

We for example support both plain and secure FTP, although we would strongly recommend using secure FTP, and finding a solution in the long run that allows you to use that for all applications.

I hope that helps.

If you have any questions feel free to get in touch, we'd be happy to help.

All the best,

Dan

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  4. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 17
    Hi Jexx

The file storage you might find breaks a lot of T&C's as most will require all files used to be part of the website, unless your firmware files are part of your website.

Free SSL is fairly normal these day however, plain text FTP is going to be your biggest issue.

Our servers for example wont even allow you to initiate an unsecured connection to anything at all, they weill terminate the connection before even being asked for a username.

We have however got to know who set's things up fairly poorly, and Heart Internet might well suit your requirements.

They use obsolete software, dont have any security on the FTP either and really dont seem to care what you upload. We've had loads migrate over from them for these and many other reasons, but it sounds like they might be right up your street, but "Cheap / Reliable" are not going to go hand in hand... You may need to pick one.

Keep in mind backups too, I dont believe (From all of the accounts we have logged into and seen) Heart take backups of your stuff, hence cheap, but if it goes wrong, its all on your to restore/fix.

Worth looking at maybe..

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  5. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    Heart Internet is part of Host Europe Group (HEG), along with Paragon Internet Group (PIG), which owned the TSOHost and now defunct Vidahost brands.

https://www.heg.com/#mass

PIG was acquired by HEG in 2015

And GoDaddy acquired HEG in 2017

So Heart Internet and TSOHost have both been owned by GoDaddy for some time.

And Heart Internet always had worse service than TSOHost - who used to have decent service and slowly declined (especially after they were acquired).

Heart Internet was bought by HEG in 2011, so has been bad for at least around a decade.

Anyway, if you're looking for better service than you're getting from TSOHost, then you last thing you want to do is move to a lesser brand owned by the same business, which has been owned by the same business for much longer.

So it's not worth looking at.

Backend support is likely all integrated by now, so you'll likely be talking to the same support agents at Heart Internet as you have been at TSOHost - GoDaddy support.

That's what they do - acquire hosting companies, often backed by venture capital funding, and aggressively consolidate the back end - infrastructure, servers, service, support - cutting costs - to make a quick return for their investors. All that's left is a brand that's a husk of its former self. It's just GoDaddy behind the branding veneer.

HEG was the British equivalent of Endurance International Group, who own a staggering number of primarily US hosting brands. Often users would switch from one hosting "company" to another in the hope of getting better service, not realising that they were just brands both owned by EID, and they'd be getting the same support - speaking to the very same support agents.

Now GoDaddy own HEG it really is two large US corporate behemoths dominating the market, selling poor, mass market hosting, trading on the reputation of brands they acquired and heavy marketing spend.

/rant

A decent UK host will serve you well. Just do a search and look around.

Best of luck,

Dan

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  6. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 17
    Not sure why the need to share all that Dan, but oh well...

Only recommended them because all of those companies have such shite hosting that they actually allow unsecured FTP. Have never seen or heard of anybody asking for unsecured FTP before..

Essentially, what he is after will be difficult to find and a compromise will need to be made.

Unsecured, cheap = Garbage
    Reliable and secure = Not going to be cheap.

Transferring any site is done for free, but whats more important, reliability and good quality or unsecure and cheap?

Totally agree, a DECENT host will indeed last a lifetime..

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  7. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    A basic level SSD shared Hosting plan can satisfy your requirement.
    Incase you are looking for reliable provider make sure you check reviews and how old is the company without getting sold out in those years :).

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  8. jexx

6 1
    Thanks for the replies.
    The requirement for FTP is to allow a few remote devices to upgrade. Unfortunately in some circumstances this can only be done via FTP.

My sites are very basic nothing to them really, I put a couple of gigabytes of firmware files on there, to make it easier for the remote upgrades.

Doing this has never been an issue with my original host or TSO since the take over several years ago.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: jexx Member since: Jun 1, 2011
  9. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

478 92
    Have you considered using a VPS? Much less restricted terms of service, usually good performance, you can set things up as you like, and you can get everything you want for about $5/month.

The only thing is that you need to either learn a bit more about managing it, or you will have to pay someone to maintain it.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  10. jexx

6 1
    Hi
    I have thought about a VPS but I don't think it need that much control and I don't fancy having to sort and secure the email side.

I'm open to suggestions.
    Thanks

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: jexx Member since: Jun 1, 2011
  11. gpietersz

478 92
    Agreed, email hosting is a pain. Its something I avoid doing myself although I am quite happy running lots of web and other servers

You can host your email with an email host who will probably do a better job of it than a web host who throws in email (TSO host in particular has had email problems: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/20/tsohosts_still_struggling_to_fix_email_issues/ ) and use a VPS for the web side of things.

I think given your non-standard requirements (unencrypted FTP and storage that will break some web hosts T & Cs) which need to be combined with reliability and low cost a VPS is probably the best solution.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  12. gpietersz

478 92
    I can see nothing in the OP's requirements that requires licensing anything.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  13. deaytch

deaytch UKBF Regular Free Member

115 17
    Krystal.co.uk - great company - UK based and reliable.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 By: deaytch Member since: May 15, 2018
  14. HostXNow

HostXNow UKBF Regular Full Member

363 23
    Don't go with VPS unless you really need to as VPS can have a lot of overheads and more management is needed. Just find a new provider who support insecure FTP (not as bad as many make out; it mainly affects you, not others), so if you aren't too bothered about that then it's fine.

25GB is quite a lot of storage for Shared hosting, you may need to pay more for that extra storage since SSD NVMe storage is not cheap. We include 25GB SSD NVMe storage with our X1 - Enterprise Hosting plan at £10/month. We include a dedicated IP which helps with email deliverability too. But have a look around to compare things properly.

Good luck.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 By: HostXNow Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  15. jexx

6 1
    Hi.
    Not sure where 25GB came from, I need 10-20GB max.
    I currently pay about £50 for the year,cost is a factor as I pay this myself and don't claim it back from my employer.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 By: jexx Member since: Jun 1, 2011
  16. HostXNow

363 23
    Yes, I read 10-20 GB but the extra 5 GB allows for growth if needed without having to upgrade again so soon. Besides, 25 GB is the quota for the example I was giving. Use it or don't. Same price either way. ;)

All the best.

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 By: HostXNow Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  17. techguy4557

techguy4557 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Well, obviously you should move on. Can’t just waste money and time.

I suggest you go with Accuweb Hosting as they are the best hosting provider for Shared Hosting. You will be glad to know that they are giving free migration for your website. They provide pure SSD storage in their plans and also free SSL for your site. And yes, they offer Standard Plain text FTP support and Email / Spam Filtering that you are asking. They are giving maximum features at a very affordable price. They have excellent technical experts who are available 24/7/365.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 6:35 AM By: techguy4557 Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  18. HostXNow

363 23
    The provider you suggest doesn't have a UK location.The thread title does say "Looking for a reliable UK web host.". That might be important for some. Just sayin'.

Posted: Dec 9, 2019 at 8:05 AM By: HostXNow Member since: Mar 7, 2011