local community magazine

Discussion in 'Yorkshire & Humberside' started by collettejoanne, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collettejoanne

collettejoanne UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Hi,
    I would really appreciate your opinions/thoughts.

I am currently looking at producing a local community magazine. I've looked at lots of franchises available in order to follow a proven system in getting the magazine to print, but of course the selling of advertising space, printing costs and distribution would be down to me.

In my area we do have a booklet distributed free to households in the town, which I assume is very successful due to the number of advertisers. However I was hoping to produce a magazine with a more local feel, with local news, a what's on guide, competitions and resteraunt reviews.

I suppose my questions are, if local businesses would advertise in such a publication if the costs were right? Maybe 1st month free if sign up to 3 months?

Do you feel it would be worth paying a franchise fee of £3900 for a system and examples of magazines in other areas to show advertisers? Or should I go it alone?

The mag would be A5 and glossy. Delivered through the doors of (3000 to start with) homes and businesses.

Sorry for the long post and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Collette

Posted: May 2, 2010 By: collettejoanne Member since: May 2, 2010
  2. Alex@Iansprint

[email protected] UKBF Regular Full Member

329 61
    Hi Collette,

I print a number of church magazines, and in the past have quoted/printed a number of the type of magazine you are discussing.

The ones predominantly aimed at advertising don't go so well. If you think you can engage readers by not over-saturating them with adverts then you may be on to a winner.

Possibly a few pointers with you:

• Try and keep intersting articles etc to a majority over advertisements.
    • Integrate adverts into articles possibly, get featured businesses etc to write for you.
    • Begin with more news etc, when you have a selection of reader you may be able to up the advert count.
    • Try not to tie people in with a £500 a year contract, do the leg work and charge £30 for a month maybe?
    If you want help with the printing costs, I am sure I will be able to give you an idea of how much it would cost.

As for the franchise, what does this entail?

Best wishes and good luck,

Alex @ Iansprint

Posted: May 2, 2010 By: [email protected] Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  3. Alex@Iansprint

329 61
    Furthermore, if you charge local business £30 for a 1/4 of a page, and you have 16 pages of advertisers, you could generate £1920 by adverts alone.
    As I said, don't hesitate to reap the knowledge of those on here.

Alex

Posted: May 2, 2010 By: [email protected] Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  4. dottelads

dottelads UKBF Newcomer Free Member

66 17
    hi - may I ask which town/area you're looking to focus on?

I'm attempting something similar in a town in the south east of England and would be happy to compare notes. slight difference in our strategy is that we're primarily trying to focus around a website and then print secondary.

Posted: May 2, 2010 By: dottelads Member since: Apr 30, 2010
  5. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,692 822
    We have one of these little mags here in the Derwent Valley, and I quite like to receive it!

I do, however, know of some people who run these. Some make money, some don't. As a general rule, however, I think almost £4k is too much to pay for the franchise to do this, if you have the ability to go it alone. If you know how to, then do it. And you are nearly £4k up in month one!

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  6. collettejoanne

21 0
    Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your reply. I think it would be a great idea to firstly attract readers and then build up advertisers, which I suppose would be more financially viable if I went alone rather than going with a franchise. The franchise I was looking at is My Mag.

It would be great if you could give me an idea of printing costs, based on a glossy A5 mag, full colour, 30 ish pages of 1000 copies, 2000 copies and 3000 copies.

Also as I'm new to this and probably going to do it alone now, what format/software should I use that would be compatible with a printing companies requirements?

Thanks again for your help.

Collette

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: collettejoanne Member since: May 2, 2010
  7. collettejoanne

21 0
    Hi dottelads,

thanks for your reply.

I'm based in a small market town in North Yorkshire. I looked at setting up a website first, but we already have a good one in the area, so I thought it best to do a print copy first and then a website where businesses in my magazine could advertise for free.

I would love to compare notes with you, particularly around sales.

Thanks again,

Collette

8. collettejoanne

21 0
    Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply and advice, I'm also thinking that £4k is too much too.

Collette

9. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,692 822
    oh....a small market town in North Yorkshire would not be too far from here!

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  10. kate1

kate1 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,650 244
    I know of a friend who did this, but she had worked for the local paper for years, and therefore the support from the local businesses - as she knew everyone, was very good.

Ive sold space for 13 years, its getting harder and harder in print, especially for new start ups.

Is there any other competition, like local papers etc?

Im not saying its not doable, but I think you would have to price the adverts correctly and at an affordable price.

Hoipe that helps

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: kate1 Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  11. TestAPlug

TestAPlug UKBF Newcomer Free Member

270 35
    I already do this (with a twist) for seven differerent areas. If you would like some dedicated info please email me. Thanks KEV

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: TestAPlug Member since: Jun 2, 2008
  12. Alex@Iansprint

329 61
    Firstly, the franchise doesn't look to be worth the £4000 that they require, unless you receive subsidised printing costs or similar, which I doubt you will. If you have the drive to do it yourself, then go for it!

As for printing costs, I dislike quoting completely blind, but to give you an idea then I would imagine it to be as follows:

A5 32pp booklet
    Printed full colour throughout
    130gsm gloss art
    Folded and stitched with a trim
    VAT exempt
    Delivered to one UK address
    1000 - £750
    2000 - £1075
    5000 - £1550

Any good printer will except any good format. I like to believe this, but many will reject formats such as Publisher due to the difficulties in preparing them for print. It is generally accepted that a high quality PDF is perfect for printing purposes, and this can be established from most software packages with the use of programs such as Bullzip PDF printer or similar.

I would be more than willing to help you through this, and be a part of the production of the product. I am sure we would benefit from your desire to make a success of the magazine, and I am also sure you would benefit from our experience in the field.

If you require anymore information, or wish to visit our site at www.iansprint.co.uk, I will be willing to further discuss anything.

Best wishes and good luck,

Alex @ Iansprint

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: [email protected] Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  13. collettejoanne

21 0
    Hi Alex,

Thankyou, you have been really helpful. The printing costs sound reasonable and do able. I need to do some more research and then hopefully I can put together the mag. I'll keep your details and possibly contact you in the future.

Thanks again,

Collette

14. WJP

WJP UKBF Ace Free Member

1,369 270
    What do you get for £4000? I cannot see any obvious benefits...

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: WJP Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  15. Doodle-Noodle

Doodle-Noodle UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,156 1,073
    If it's any help, most newspapers I've worked on use Quark Express which is great for producing editorial copy and layout as it's easy to resize text etc to fit pages exactly. Personally, I can't see any advantage in paying a franchise fee to anybody when you're looking at producing your own editorial content, sourcing and funding your own print run and finding your own advertisers - what (if anything) would you get for your money apart from a big bill?

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: Doodle-Noodle Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  16. Wicksy

Wicksy UKBF Regular Free Member

180 14
    A5 mags are too small and instantly throwable in most cases - to give your publication more impact publishers should take a look at switching to a Quarterfold product which can be produced on newspaper presses for, in most cases, much less than what you are paying for A5 size.

You can see some of the pricing for 90gsm Royal Gloss quarterfold products on our website listed below:)

Posted: May 4, 2010 By: Wicksy Member since: May 7, 2009
  17. ThePublisher

ThePublisher UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

945 210

My 'instantly throwable' magazines tend to get kept until the next one gets put through residents' doors. Unlike larger newspapers which people view as clut and bin as soon as they've read them.

Still, to each their own view.

OP there are miles better systems than My Mag out there. I bought a MM pack for £3K five years ago and it got me started, but would buy www.mags2riches.co.uk now - it didn't exist when I got going (M2R was started by an ex MM person - not me!).

Posted: May 4, 2010 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  18. G. Lasagne

G. Lasagne UKBF Ace Full Member

2,291 434
    Its a good idea, how about a one aimed at home owners which mainly has trades, each trade coul have 2 pages, one page with there advert and another for a useful tip/advice based on there trade that the reader would find useful, i.e you could have a heating engineer and every month he publishes an article about the dangers of co poisoning or energy saving tips a gardner could have tips on maintaing your garden etc etc, this would be good as the advertsiers would also write the content for you, just an idea "off the cuff" but im sure you could tweak it:).

p.s i definately think a5 is better than a4

Last edited: May 4, 2010
    Posted: May 4, 2010 By: G. Lasagne Member since: Mar 12, 2008
  19. Wicksy

180 14
    Please don't take offence, if you read my post correctly you will see that i said "in most cases" that doesn't particularly mean yours.

I'm not advocating a "newspaper" either but an A4 size glossy magazine type product. In my opinion this size of mag "in most cases" would be more appealing, but as you say, each to their own

20. Wicksy

180 14
    If you were offered a full page ad in an A5 for £100 and the same price was quoted for A4 size - which would you choose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.