LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Psl, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psl

Psl UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 619
    How many of the businesses on here have installed LED lighting?

If yes - has it achieved the results you anticipated?

If no - is there a particular reason, except the obvious ones of course?

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 By: Psl Member since: May 4, 2010
  2. Young Recruit

Young Recruit UKBF Regular Free Member

297 66
    I'm installing LED strip lighting in my kitchen. White strips around my plinths and RGB strips as down lighting.

They light my kitchen up but I'm still not sure if I can dim the RGB's from a wall mounted dimmer switch.

JA

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 By: Young Recruit Member since: Sep 27, 2012
  3. LED Lightworld

LED Lightworld UKBF Regular Full Member

158 32
    RGB strips only dimmable on LV side of driver not 230V side, so no go. You will need to use an approved RGB controller after the driver to give you your dimming capability.

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 By: LED Lightworld Member since: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Young Recruit

Young Recruit UKBF Regular Free Member

297 66
    Thanks LED Lighworld,

Is it impossible to dim from a wall dimmer or does it just not work very well?

The remote control will dim and blend the RGB LED's, but I wanted to be able to dim from the wall as well. Do you know how I could do this?

JA

Posted: Dec 7, 2012 By: Young Recruit Member since: Sep 27, 2012
  5. siwi

siwi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 5
    I am going to install one in my office..
    Will that be a good idea or not?

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 By: siwi Member since: Nov 23, 2012
  6. SqueakyHinge

SqueakyHinge Banned

72 9
    I use LED. Not for the fact it might work out cheaper but because i often find conventional lighting gives off way way too much heat. I can't stand having half my face melted by sodding light bulbs.

Posted: Dec 15, 2012 By: SqueakyHinge Member since: Dec 5, 2012
  7. Andrew Hui

Andrew Hui UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    For high wattage application, I suggest using induction lamp.

(1) LED is more efficient at the beginning, however, there is a problem of heat dissipation, this caused lumen decay seriously. Maybe it performs well for low wattage application but for high wattage LED, this happens obviously. Some manufacturer pinches the LED patch and make it thin, this raises lumen efficiency but produce much glare and heat. Eyes will feel tied in this lighting. Also heat shorten LED lifespan.

(2) The cost of LED is much higher than induction lamp. LED costs around $2/W while induction costs around $0.6/W. This depends on different suppliers. Some LED supplier quotes it $0.8/W or less(high wattage, for low wattage, the LED works well), but will you buy this? You dare to buy bt someone dare not to sell.

(3) Induction lamp performs high efficiency, longer lifespan, eye protecting. The innitial lumen efficiency reaches 80-83lm/W(test after 100 hours' aging) and maintains 90% after 2000 hours. One manufacturer tested their lumen efficiancy keeps at 78% after 5 years(10 hours above per day), and all lamp works well. In regards to eye protecting, the work frequency of induction lamp is 230-250KHZ and this satisfy the embitious of reading, working and other activities.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Posted: Jan 15, 2013 By: Andrew Hui Member since: Jan 7, 2013
  8. bestiojioo

bestiojioo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    In our life, the led lighting are used so popular.

Posted: Jan 17, 2013 By: bestiojioo Member since: Oct 20, 2012
  9. SavinLight

SavinLight UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    I am Dealing in LED products business having business name "Saving Light Bulbs". I would like to share that this business is getting more and more popular. We have large number of customers on daily basis who are replacing their traditional Lighting with LED lighting and when we ask them to review, most of them Provide positive reviews.
    I must add that it really make us feel proud to satisfy the customers as we believe CIK. Some business are not adopting LED lighting now as it seems higher initial cost but if we talk about long term goals, then it is really an ultimate decision to adopt LED Lighting. :)

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 By: SavinLight Member since: Jan 24, 2013
  10. lynxus

lynxus UKBF Ace Full Member

1,326 318
    We have LED lighting at one of the places I work.

It looks nice, however it makes the room feel a little darker to me.
    Everything is softer and patchy.

While im sure there are LED products that will pretty much give the same look and feel to normal lighting, I do feel there is a place and time for it.

I suppose it all depends on how you are going to us it..

Use it for main lighting? Probably not best..
    Use it for feature lighting? Yeah why not. Its handy to highlight something without the cost of powering a normal bulb.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  11. LED Lightworld

LED Lightworld UKBF Regular Full Member

158 32
    I would suggest the work place that seems patchy hasn't been designed properly. There are plenty of offices and buildings we go to with fluorescent/halogen/incandescent lighting that seems patchy. You can design any lighting scheme badly if you dont know what your doing.

I think because of cost implications some people have avoided installing the required amount of LED fittings in an application - if you want a good example of effective, imaginative LED lighting that is far from patchy look at the Louvre in Paris.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 By: LED Lightworld Member since: Jan 22, 2012
  12. muppetdave

muppetdave UKBF Contributor Free Member

89 22
    Here here! LED has moved on so much in the last couple of years and offers a very good, low-cost solution. As with most things (think PV) it is seen as a bit of a band wagon at the moment, and there are some very shoddy products out there. But good products, coupled with good design (if you have an installation, have the contractor ensure that at a minimum Relux calcs are completed and ensure that the existing lux levels are achieved throughout, if not better. Go through all that, and you'll be paying off the investment in 2-2.5 years and making savings for up to 10 years thereafter!

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 By: muppetdave Member since: Oct 28, 2008
  13. davewright13

davewright13 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    Great thread :)

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: davewright13 Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  14. tj1979x

tj1979x UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 0
    I have been looking at installing LEDs to backlight stained glass. There is a guy in the Pollockshaws Mailboxes ETC that LED sheets that can be written on, kindof like a backlit whiteboard.

Posted: Apr 26, 2013 By: tj1979x Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  15. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,089 1,023
    I've been experimenting with the available GU50 type LEDs - my conclusions are that none are yet as bright as the wide angle halogen 50W units I have, but some are coming close, with clusters of high output leds. However, they are very expensive, and the light quality is still not as good. They run much cooler of course, so that's a benefit to some people. So far, lifespan of all kinds of LED lamps has been a disappointment. I have 10 colour changing LEDs in my kitchen, uplighting the white ceiling, and all of them have aged badly. At first, it would take three days for the colour cycle to start to drift enough to be noticeable, but now they are all different speeds, some glimmer then burst into red, then the blue hardly comes on, while others are stuck on two colours and some more are on green all the time! My business life LEDs suffer badly from dry joints - and worse still, each batch is different, so I cannot replace a unit because the progress has been rapid and the new ones just don't match! LED has zoomed in, but until supplier shelf life, not lifespan, is measured in years, not weeks - a big install is risky when the client wants another exactly the same!

Posted: Apr 26, 2013 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  16. andrew12

andrew12 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    I must add that it really make us feel proud to satisfy the customers as we believe CIK.

Posted: Apr 30, 2013 By: andrew12 Member since: Apr 30, 2013
  17. peggyp

peggyp UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 5
    Thats really great..as people are getting more and more educated about energy saving and started using natural way like solar energy, LED lighting etc.
    Its going to get more popularity day by day.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: peggyp Member since: Apr 8, 2013
  18. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,089 1,023
    In the UK, the Association of Lighting Designers - a theatrically based organisation headed by both UK and US lighting designers are carrying out a campaign to ensure the supply of tungsten lamps for the theatre industry. There's also a following from the TV designers too, because although LEDs are now brighter and even more efficient - the quality of light is very often simply not up to the job. Firms like Rosco and Lee have hundreds of subtle colours in the range as these differences are very small - but important. LEDs just seem incapable of subtlety (at the moment) and the designers are very concerned that a tool of their trade is becoming threatened because of the race towards green and LED. The area I work in is so cash poor that one client is delaying putting in orders for colour media, lamps and basics like cable. If lamps suddenly become scarce or too expensive. Lots of my own income will dry up. As for him the thought of spending two to three times the tungsten cost on new LED kit? It's just not going to happen. Green is nice, but the outlay to be green is too high.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  19. gaztronics

gaztronics UKBF Regular Full Member

147 28
    One has to be careful as some manufacturers are not bothering to test their lamps to ensure they meet the 'essential requirements' of the EMC Directive. When used in a domestic environment, those lamps that do not comply can wipe out radio services, such as VHF FM and DAB (and more). This will not only affect radios in your home, but could also wipe out radios several houses away. Finding such sources of interference, especially if you do not know what to look for, can be very difficult.

You can read about interference issues on this website: http://www.ukqrm.org.uk/

There is an interesting section on LED lighting and the tests an EMC test-house carried out on a range of 12V lamps that would qualify for a transmitting licence!

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: gaztronics Member since: Oct 17, 2012
  20. Shelly Watson

Shelly Watson UKBF Contributor Free Member

78 2
    I have LED light in my house. It looks great.Though not so bright, but I like it.

Posted: May 10, 2013 By: Shelly Watson Member since: Apr 24, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.