Just bought from China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by WHARTY, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHARTY

WHARTY UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

939 133
    Hi all

I have just bought my first shipment from China and is due to be shipped this coming week. I have got a door to door service. I am told i will have to pay the forwarder when the goods arrive which i understand.

My question is about the duty and vat? When and how do i pay this? Will customs make me pay it before it leaves Felixstowe or will i just get a bill?

Also do i need to tell anybody the commodity code or will this all be on the shipping documents?

Although my chinese counterpart has been very helpful i have found it a little difficult at times to understand exactly what he is saying or trying to explain.

Kind regards

Lee Wharton

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 By: WHARTY Member since: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Vending Siting Services

Vending Siting Services UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,428 698
    Hi Lee

The vat/duty will be payable the moment your consignment arrives on UK soil. Your shipping agent will normally invoice you and they will also obtain the consignment code to work out the vat/duty. On receipt of payment they will forward the consignment to you. I presume you have a shipping agent?

Kind regards.

Barbara

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 By: Vending Siting Services Member since: Jan 26, 2007
  3. WHARTY

WHARTY UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

939 133
    Hi Barbara

I would have emailed you and asked but i didn't want to disturb you on your weekend. Is the shipping agent the same as the forwarder? My supplier always talks about the forwarder. They are doing a door to door service and i really hope they will do it all for me as i haven't a clue what to do lol. Do you have any idea as to clearance costs at customs?

Thanks

Lee

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 By: WHARTY Member since: Nov 18, 2009
  4. Vending Siting Services

Vending Siting Services UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,428 698
    Hi Lee

I don't normally look at my emails on the weekend, but if I am at home, I always log on here to do some Modding.

Yes, your forwarder is your shipping agent.

Clearance costs should be included in your costs being charged to you by your shipping agent.

Give them a call on Monday, they will put your mind at rest. As this is your first time importing from China they may not think to inform you as they do this day in day out.

The only other thing which could happen at dock for first timers is that your container is held back by Customs for Ex-raying. It's a pain in the butt and they charge you £150 for the priviledge, also the dock will also charge you around £100 per day for the storing of your container! All good fun. The maximum time your container could be held is 5 days. I wish I could have a business whereby I can charge for a service that the customer does not want. :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

Barbara

Posted: Sep 11, 2010 By: Vending Siting Services Member since: Jan 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.