Is there a free or non subscription MTD solution?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by DavidWH, Jan 3, 2019.

1. DavidWH

DavidWH UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,236 221
    Following on from another thread, is there a free MTD solution?

My gripe is, that having used sage instant accounts/accounts essentials for the past 8 years on perpetual licences.

Sage has always had the ability to submit VAT from within the software, part of its basic functionality.

Now I find I am forced to pay a subscription to be MTD compliant, even updating to v25 requires a subscription. Or pay a higher subscription for 50c.

No longer can you manually enter the figures using the gateway, so you are literally forced into paying a subscription.

I don't see why we should have to pay £10 a month, when submitting a VAT return has always been free using the gateway.

Are there any alternatives to the subscription model that is being forced upon us?

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  2. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,351 734
    Export the vat return figures generated in Sage Essentials into Excel and then use a free bridging software add in such as Avalara to file the Return.

At the moment its only the 9 boxes figures from the VAT Return that get sent to HMRC via MTD VAT filing.

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  3. DavidWH

1,236 221
    @UK Contractor Accountant I will look into the export to excel tomorrow, Can't say I have ever used it. If the bridging software works I owe you a beer or two :D

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  4. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,361 2,300
    I do understand that a lot of businesses are going to end up paying for software they never had previously, but is it really worth spending so much extra time using bridging software and trying to find free options?

I would have thought that will actually be more expensive in the long term if you consider the additional time you'll need to spend.

You will find cheaper alternatives to Sage which deal with Making VAT Digital, Accounts Portal is one of them especially if you can get a discount via your accountant.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  5. DavidWH

1,236 221
    Is it worth spending £30, every quarter to submit a VAT return?

Sage will do all the figures as standard now, all I need to do is export it excel and submit it using bridging software.

Whilst it add's additional steps to my vat return, it's once a quarter, in reality will not add that much additional time to it.

And how long will the subscription be £10 a month?

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: DavidWH Member since: Feb 15, 2011
  6. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,361 2,300
    Ultimately it depends on how much you value your time at, and how easy it is to use the bridging software.

As I mentioned you could spend under £30 a month and get software to replace Sage which will also enable you to submit your VAT return online and deal with MVD.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  7. DavidWH

1,236 221
    It's £10 a month to have the MTD option, which is £30 a quarter.

If it takes less than an hour to use the briding software we're quids in.

I'm tied to sage, as it links with the MIS we use for estimating and managing customer data, which is why we only need the most basic of versions, as the MIS has all the additional functionality built in.

I could upgrade to 50c @ £18 a month, but really there's no advantage for us to do so, there's no new features that will really warrant it ongoing cost, compared to the £100 for a perpetual licence.

8. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,316 568
    I'll likely code up my own API, but if I'm time poor I too will certainly use bridging software, there's one here free until 2020 (which buys a bit of time)...

https://www.dcsoftware.co.uk/

...it shouldn't take anymore than 3-4 minutes to submit a VAT return using bridging software...export VAT report from your accounts software as a spreadsheet, open up the spreadsheet in the bridging software...eyevball it...submit to HMRC.

That's got to be worth ducking yet another cost.

(personally, I think they'll kick the can down the road & push the date back - too much going on in/around that time with Brexit ....plus there are heaps of small businesses not even aware)

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin UKBF Regular Free Member

155 44
    Your missing the point with what cloud software does. It isn't costing you £30 just to file the vat return. The software is better than Sage Instant it works with bank feeds which will save you time from manually entering data into it.

Bridging software is a sticking plaster for the solution, not a long term one.

Don't just look at the cost, consider the time saving it could give you.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: Glenn Martin Member since: Oct 1, 2015
  10. DavidWH

1,236 221
    Already paying for the bank feeds, which agreed save's me time. So I'll be paying for the bank feeds, and also the MTD.

If Sage increase the costs on the bank feeds, I can opt to stop paying it, loose that functionality, and keep my data, and go back to manually inputting the data.

The only thing a the new subscription will give me that I don't already have is MTD compliance, and there are cheaper alternatives that achieve the same thing. ;)

11. Hugh Simpson

Hugh Simpson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    VitalTax may be an option.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: Hugh Simpson Member since: May 14, 2015
  12. Glenn Martin

Glenn Martin UKBF Regular Free Member

155 44
    There is more than bank feeds available, it depends on how little you value you your time.

Many bank feeds are free if that is an issue look at Santander and moving away from Sage. Sage expect you to move onto subscription model if you don't you will be stuck on the old version of sage unsupported until it breaks or stops working.

If you would sooner return to manual bank recs instead of paying £3 for a bank feed your not getting the benefit.

If techonology could save you 2 hours per week at a cost of £20 could you not charge your customers for that 2 hours at a much higher rate or you could work 2 hours less and spend that with your family.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 By: Glenn Martin Member since: Oct 1, 2015
  13. DavidWH

1,236 221
    We need to use a desktop version of Sage as it links with our MIS, which has all the functionality we need, all we use Sage for is the book keeping, so the very basic essentials package ticks the boxes.

The new versions provide very little new features worth upgrading for, we last upgraded to enable bank feeds, it's worth while.

£3.00 is fine for bank feeds, but what if they increased that to £10?

The only reason Sage/Adobe/Microsoft want everyone on the subscription model is because it generates an ongoing income stream, rather than the likes of us, who will buy the licence and run it for as long as feasible possible... we're still running adobe CS5, it does everything we require of it.

The original post wasn't about the subscription, it was asking if there are any free or non subscription alternatives, of which there are.

£20.00 a year to do my VAT returns in 5mins, or £120 to do it 2 mins? That's literally how much we're talking about, the time argument is lost IMHO.

14. urstop

urstop UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 5
    I have come across https://accountsdesk.co.uk/mtd . Check their demo. I was able to use my existing excel VAT workings sheet with their demo account to try out the digital submission of VAT. They have the demo login and test HMRC account available to see how it works.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: urstop Member since: Feb 22, 2013