General Business Forum Brought to you by Square
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Is it legal under UK Law to resell used car / auto parts?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by dod345699, Mar 7, 2018.

1. dod345699

dod345699 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hello All,

FYI, i would not be buying 'whole' cars and dismantling them, but i would be sourcing individual used parts from merchants, with the intention of reselling them myself for profit.

Is there any specific legislation that would prevent or restrict me from doing the above?

As mentioned, NO cars will be bought and dismantled - my intention is not to be a 'breaker' but simply, a seller of used car parts.

I would be storing the parts on my private premises. Is there any other legislation i should be aware when doing this?

Many thanks in advance for all advice given in regard to this matter.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 By: dod345699 Member since: Mar 7, 2018
  2. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Contributor Free Member

51 17
    Yes, of course. Assuming you are selling them as used/second hand/spare parts, and not advertising them as new or reman. It's no different to taking a part off your car and selling it on eBay.

I am confused about where you expect to source from and who to supply to? It seems a funny gap to try and find unless you have found a specific niche for a car type/customer base/product type?

(I am a product manager for an automotive parts company by day hence the interest..)

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  3. 14Steve14

14Steve14 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

683 112
    Many years ago when I used to build kit cars and replicas I did exactly this. I would go to scrap yard, buy the mechanical bits that were needed on the popular models and would sell them to customers either as is, or reconditioned. Lots of people wanted to build kit cars but didnt want the scrap bits laying around. Buying the bits to resell is totally different to buying a car and scrapping it.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: 14Steve14 Member since: May 18, 2010
  4. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,711 923
    Depends... if the donor car is stolen or not... ;)

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  5. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,560 2,057
    This may be a problem. You will need to tell your insurer, and your landlord (if you have one). If the parts include petrol or oil then you may have to tell environmental health too.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007