Importing from China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by clareehcor, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clareehcor

clareehcor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi, I'm thinking about starting a small Ebay business, selling kids clothes which I will import from China. I'm not talking huge amounts of container shipments .. just maybe one small shipment a month .. I'm hoping to make around £200/£300 profit a month as a small part time work from home business? The question I have is .. do I need an import license, or do I have ti pay import tax - if so how do I find out more info about this? Also, what about customs, shipping etc .. I'm new to this & don't really know where to start! Thanks

Posted: May 20, 2010 By: clareehcor Member since: May 20, 2010
  2. lanzarotelynn

lanzarotelynn UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    you will of course have to pay duties when the shipment arrives in the UK. i woudl think by the time you have paid all expenses out for the shipment of clothing, it would be more cost effective to just buy from your local wholesaler. it will not be worth your time and money shipping a small amount because after paying all the associated fees, you could buy for less in the uk. you would have to be buying a large amount to make any real money from this venture. have a think about it first. many people buy in bulk from places like ebay anyway and then just re-sell individual items back on ebay. maybe this could be a good thing for you. hope my info helps you. good luck

Posted: Jul 23, 2010 By: lanzarotelynn Member since: Jul 23, 2010
  3. LightingGiants

LightingGiants UKBF Regular Free Member

284 18
    be weary of the ebay market..you will find people that will work for pennies. hope it works out

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 By: LightingGiants Member since: Jun 1, 2009
  4. discountfuel

discountfuel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

110 3
    i was succesfull an importing electronics from china. talk to your supplier. the documents they send with the product will have a value on them, this value will be taxable on import. i was shipping 10's of thousands of pounds a month but they were worded in a way i only paid minimum tax. the only pifall on this is insurance value

best of luck

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 By: discountfuel Member since: Jul 24, 2010
  5. JoeHe

JoeHe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 1
    I'm an exporter from China, I agree with 5#, while you import from China, you can ask your factory or partner revised the PI (2 copies together with goods) a small amounts, then you don't need to pay tax anymore. Hope this will help.

Joe He---from China
    ---------------------------
    Sarine Perfections Bags Co., Ltd
    sourcing at bagcn dot info

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 By: JoeHe Member since: Jul 24, 2010
  6. JoeHe

JoeHe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 1
    There are three ways for shipment.1) by courier, most expensive, fit for the goods with small measure or weight but high value. 2)by air, expensive, will more than courier some times, you can ask your supplier compare the charge for you. 3)by sea, cheapest, very slow,low value and large quantities preferes.

Re duty etc,the way you delivery by courier, you can ask your supplier to make a small amount on the PI(2 copies) together with the parcel, then you don't need to pay tax.Other charges, you can turn to one forwarder from your side, charge different from different port.

Posted: Jul 25, 2010 By: JoeHe Member since: Jul 24, 2010
  7. mamamanual

mamamanual UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 0
    If you only small import from China,I know how to avoid tariff.I have some customers from France and the UK,every time they buy a few hundred dollars of my toys that do not require tariffs.If you want any help,please feel free to contact with me.

Posted: Jul 27, 2010 By: mamamanual Member since: Jul 9, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.